What's new

Dual Boot WinXP Home and Linux

Vchat20

well, I think im finally gonna try and use Linux. couple things I wanna point out first.

1. got 3 HD's. 1 currently installed (40GB), another I can chain with my CD drive (60GB), and the other one im out of luck cuz the IDE cable on the current drive is just a single channel.

2. current HD has a single partition (NTFS) with XP home installed. under no circumstances, am I going to fuxor this drive in the proccess.

3. if possible, I would like to get 98 installed also cuz my current steering wheel is not compatible with XP.

if anyone can point me to simple instructions, I would be forever grateful.

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
This is an easy one, install your XP first, then install Linux, Linux will dual boot it for you. I've doen it with RedHat 8.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

umm. personally, I would like to find out how to do them on seperate drives just to be on the safe side. keep the XP drive as the primary.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
thats fine. Install XP on your primary drive and have linux setup on the secondary. Linux will call your 1st hdd hda and your second hdd hdb and your cd-rom as hdc.

Just tell linux to install to hdb and have the boot loader choose your first hdd as your default boot and your second as linux; easy as pie.

If you're unsure of linux using Linux Mandrake should be able to set this up very easily for you.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

ok. I can do that pretty easily. now my question is, how do I go about getting some kind of boot menu to load at startup instead of going directly to XP?

Stezo2k

S-2K
go into xp, right click my comp then advanced then start up and recovery. This will give you the option of the boot menu

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
nah, don't use winxp for this, winxp can only boot windows while all the other boot loader can boot all OS.
The two boot loader that people generally use with linux are grub and lilo. You'll have explanations with your distributions and/or during installation process.

Stezo2k

S-2K
fair nuff mate, looks like linux is pretty handy for multi-boot

XP's pretty shite for it, no tutorial or anything

My95ZR2

The reason MS doesn't include documentation is cause they want to rule the world keep us dumb and stupid (see what it's already done to me?)

Adam

Eagle

aka Alshain
one thing to point out, install Linux on your boot drive. (I.E. C:\) If you want to put it on a different drive, switch the cables (or change the bios) to make it the boot drive. The reason for doing this is, if you have to re-install Windows, you wont lose the boot sector of the boot drive this way and Grub wont disappear when you do. I had windows on my boot drive and after re-installing windows, Grub was wiped out and I couldnt get it back without re-installing Linux. Also do a search, I myself asked a lot of Linux questions a while back and they are still here in the forum.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Eagle said:
one thing to point out, install Linux on your boot drive. (I.E. C:\) If you want to put it on a different drive, switch the cables (or change the bios) to make it the boot drive. The reason for doing this is, if you have to re-install Windows, you wont lose the boot sector of the boot drive this way and Grub wont disappear when you do. I had windows on my boot drive and after re-installing windows, Grub was wiped out and I couldnt get it back without re-installing Linux. Also do a search, I myself asked a lot of Linux questions a while back and they are still here in the forum.

If you know what you're doing a reinstall of windows after grub is quite easy; you just need a boot CD, mount your boot partition, go to the grub folder, run grub and then tell it the root and setup hdd and patitions. Easy as pie, no reinstall and no need to swap cables.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

well, I must say after alot of skeptiscism with linux, it actually seems very simlar to windows in more ways than one. im on Linux right now via Knoppix. and I am very pleased with it. only thing holding me back from switching from Windows to Linux is program compatibility. 90% of my programs run on Windows only. but if that was not the case, I would most likely switch to linux. maybe ill try and get my old 333MHZ machine up and running again and get Linux installed on it.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
VChat, what programs (besides games) do you need? You can find many equivalents under Linux, for free :)

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

i got lots 'o' places to start. by the time im done im gonna have a long list. LOL. anyways, games are the major part right now. Ill list those then regular programs afterwards.

Midtown Madness 2
Interstate '82
Emulators (mainly GBA and N64)
Ms Train Simulator

Winamp with Shoutcast DSP
Office XP with Frontpage
DSCaler (recently got a TV Tuner)
AIM
MSN Messenger
Zone Alarm
Norton Systemworks
CD Burning Software
3dsmax
Macromedia Flash MX
Windows Media Player (basically any player that can rip cd's and can hold an organized library).

I got to continue building the list.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Windows :: Linux
----------------
Winamp :: Xmms
Office XP :: OpenOffice
DSCaler :: I don't have a TV tuner but I know there are many options out there
AIM & MSN Messenger :: Gaim
Zone Alarm :: Many Linux firewalls avaliable
System works :: Not needed under Linux
CD Burning software :: Many under Linux
3dsMAX :: I'm sure there are many 3D rendering programs under Linux; though I haven't used any
Flash MX :: Donno
Media Player :: MPlayer, xine

There's mupen64 for N64 and I don't do gba emulation. Hope this helps you out a bit :)

Last edited:
OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

that does help quite a bit, but for xmms, IIRC, you cant use the shoutcast DSP with that. not totally sure though.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Is that a shoutcast server? If it is there are many MP3 streaming servers out there that are compatible with ShoutCast

Stezo2k

S-2K
well apparenly office 2003 & Blindwrite (for burning cds) are available for linux

theres a few msn clients for it, i knew 1 that looks jus like it i'll tell ya later, i forgot the name, and theres a few good media players for it, theres a pretty good 1 that looks like winamp i'll let you know later