What's new

2 keyboards

Yep, it is possible, but you need one usb/wireless-keyboard and one normal one because there aren't two keyboard-ports on your pc.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
mightyrocket said:
Yep, it is possible, but you need one usb/wireless-keyboard and one normal one because there aren't two keyboard-ports on your pc.

I dunno about you but my computer sure does have two PS/2 ports.

smegforbrain

Tagrineth said:
I dunno about you but my computer sure does have two PS/2 ports.

Most computers do have two ps/2 ports, but one is for keyboard, the other is for mouse.

I don't believe they are interchangeable ports - ie, you can't plug in two keyboards and expect them both to work.

I suggest to the original poster to get a MS Sidewinder or something, which works pretty damn good as an N64 controller, and is USB, then the other person can use the keyboard if they want.

No conflicts then.

smegforbrain

Doomulation said:
You can't. Put a keyboard in the mouse ps/2 and you're sure it will NOT work!

Well, I wasn't going to start unplugging and plugging stuff in jsut to test it out.

The ports ARE marked for each though, so that should tell you something. :)

Besides, almost everything on my comp is USB anyways. :)

shark1686

Me and my sister do this all the time (one usb the other ps/2 port) however the computer sees them both as one keyboard i.e: if she hit my left on her keyboard it would count as me hitting it. Is there a way to make the computer see them as two seperate keyboards?

smegforbrain

shark1686 said:
Is there a way to make the computer see them as two seperate keyboards?

Man, you're stuck on the keyboard thing, aren't you?

Computers weren't really designed to have two keyboards attached any more than to have two mice attached at once.

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
Rice said:
You'd better to give Bill Gates a call for this question.

I think he will be puzzled with that question, since it's a hardware limitation, you can only use one keyboard (that also means, that in the case you have more than one connected, they willl behave as shark1686 describes), it's not related to software.

You will need to:

a) modify the internal keyboard processor of one of the two keyboards, to send different scancodes.
b) create some software, like a keyboard driver, to allow the os to accept and extended sacncode set.
c) Check that the os accepts correctly those scancodes.

or

a) Use a japanese keyboard as the second keyboard (not sure about thsi one :ermm:)

More info on: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/keyboard.htm, http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/kbd/scancodes.html

Last edited: