What's new

Texture smoothing in Giri Giri??

Thaddeus

I was just at a Panzer Dragoon fansite which had screens from Panzer Dragoon Saga running and there is a debate as to whether texture smoothing can be employed in giri giri.

Do any of you know how to turn it on???

Marauder

Yes, texture smoothing can be used quite easily. It cannot be turned on in Girigiri, but you can have it always on by configuring your graphics card. Most newer graphics cards (that could actually RUN Saturn games at decent speeds) will have a way to turn on hardware options in Direct3D such as Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering. You should be able to find these in the Display Properties. Here's and example from Panzer Dragoon Zwei ;)

OP
T

Thaddeus

Marauder said:
Yes, texture smoothing can be used quite easily. It cannot be turned on in Girigiri, but you can have it always on by configuring your graphics card. Most newer graphics cards (that could actually RUN Saturn games at decent speeds) will have a way to turn on hardware options in Direct3D such as Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering. You should be able to find these in the Display Properties. Here's and example from Panzer Dragoon Zwei ;)

WOW! thanks a lot! :emutalk:

I'm gonna try to configure my graphics card now (although i'll probably end up blowing up my computer :doh: ).

If i succeed then i'll try to get some screenshots to prove it :king:

*UPDATE* Got it working! although i have no idea what kind of settings are the most appropriate for my system :crazy:

On first appearances it seems that the visual quality is noticeably improved however it does seem to cause some minor slowdown issues and increases the amount of pop-up. But it's nothing too major

*UPDATE 2* sorted out the pop-up with no apparent effect on texture quality (just had to fiddle with the "Smoothvision" option. Now i just gotta try to sort out the damn slowdown!!-it's only minor but it's the little things that get on my nerves!)

Last edited:

George

Sepaking of running Panzer Dragoon Saga

Thaddeus said:
I was just at a Panzer Dragoon fansite which had screens from Panzer Dragoon Saga running and there is a debate as to whether texture smoothing can be employed in giri giri.

Do any of you know how to turn it on???

Speaking of running Panzer Dragoon Saga in Giri Giri, does anyone know how to get past the desert? For some reason, when I enter the last part of the desert it circles around the giglaryph forever. I understand that Saturn emulation is hardly perfect, but I would think most of the errors would be things like graphics and sound glitches, or simply not running. I'm not sure why a bad emulator wouldn't get past this part.

OP
T

Thaddeus

I can't help you there. I'm having trouble running Panzer Dragoon Saga at all :doh:

I get the "Team andromeda presents" thing and then all i get is a weird glitchy sound and then a black screen (which is very annoying since i know that PDS works on Giri Giri-well some of it at least!).

George

Strange... my computer is worse than yours. Here's what I did:
My PDS entry in games.dat was the Japanese entry (titled "Azel", copied and called "Panzer Dragoon Saga (US/C).
I didn't use the Loader thing, but instead manually used gentoc to make a toc, altered base.ini, and ran gsaturn.exe -i . For some reason, when I used Loader it didn't detect the CD.
My cue file for the first disc was:
FILE "PDSAGA1.BIN" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 02 AUDIO
PREGAP 00:02:00
INDEX 01 60:59:23
TRACK 03 AUDIO
INDEX 00 61:07:60
INDEX 01 61:09:60

I can't post my .bin, obviously, because its so large.

Talas

Son of the Sky
Hm... I didnt know that this works. I´ll have to test it. It would be great to have some filtering with Giri Giri. :afro: