What's new

Mupen's Sound Plugin

Santabutthea

Mupen64 is awesome, High compatibility/portability...wanted to thank all involved, everything works like a charm (most of the time ;p) The problem I _do_ have is I have 2 sound cards and the second one is the one I need to play though. Is support for dual sound cards in the future of mupen's sound plugin? Also I wanted to mention, mupen64 will skip (once every 2-3 seconds) with a sound plugin in plugins/ and it will be very slow and unresponsive, without the sound plugin it works _way_ too fast :), and I generally don't have a problem with that and I know there's a patch out there for this sort of thing (the speed being too fast) but I just wanted to mention it so the people out there with a slower computer, taking the audio plugin out of the plugins directory you may get a _huge_ speed increase.

Santabutthead

blight

I think the plugin uses /dev/dsp, maybe you can point it to some dsp of your second sound card (i.e. /dev/dsp3 or /dev/dsp4) - or did i misunderstand you?

OP
S

Santabutthea

I guess...

blight said:
I think the plugin uses /dev/dsp, maybe you can point it to some dsp of your second sound card (i.e. /dev/dsp3 or /dev/dsp4) - or did i misunderstand you?

I guess that'll work :)
thanks

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
you can also try to modify the audio plugin source code to open the correct dev file on your system. I would like to hear what's your result so that i can maybe implement a better solution in the plugin later.

OP
S

Santabutthea

Hacktarux said:
you can also try to modify the audio plugin source code to open the correct dev file on your system. I would like to hear what's your result so that i can maybe implement a better solution in the plugin later.

OK, I _really_ don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place. I think maybe the best idea for implementation is a simple window that pops up when you click on config so you can edit the dev, which I guess would be a variable. But, editing it in the source worked for me (only took me changing the dev on line 142:main.c from /dev/dsp to /dev/dsp1).

Thanks again,
sbh

p.s. Is the speed a known problem with the sound plugin, or is it only reproducable in certain setups? I ask because like I had said above, it works like clockwork w/o a sound plugin, but once that thing is in the audio is hella smooth (minus the distortion) but the video has breaks or pauses.