What's new

PCSX2 is the first!

apexad

step aside Xeon, PCSX2 is the first!

XBox emulation is going awesome! Xeon is showing that emulating Halo is possible. Gamecube emulators are booting commerically released software. PS2 emulators have shown us the PS2 bios booting and other amazing things. But, Speaking of PS2...Enter PCSX2! At this point I am declaring PSCX2 the first 2nd generation next generation emulator that actually plays games to a completely playable level. (side note: dreamcast is not a 2nd generation next genaration system in my opinion & emulation64.com does not condone piracy in any way)

I could tell you all about it, but instead, I'll let you see for yourself. Head over to this thread on the official PCSX2 forums to see a great game of Super Bust a Move!

btw, thanks to passive(news submissions) & Malcom(on IRC) for this news...

Last edited:

Bobbi

NGEmu guy
Administrator
However, the slowness of it all would make it impossible to actually fight, or win Halo. So who cares about that!?
I think it's more than unfair to put down an emu like that. I and many others DO care about such a great progress in x-box emulation for sure.

Quvack

Indeed, just getting demos running with these next gen emu's is a great accomplishment. Running a commerical game, no matter how playable is leaps and bounds above it.

Regardless of the system its great to see such progress, and its not a competition to who can emulate a next gen console game to a playable state anyways :)

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
Bobbi said:
I think it's more than unfair to put down an emu like that. I and many others DO care about such a great progress in x-box emulation for sure.

I find it appalling that a moderator at an EMULATION board would put down any emulator. Especially one as significant as Xeon which is a great step in Xbox emulation.

Trotterwatch

I don't think Apexad meant to put anyone down, least of all an author of an X-Box emulator something of which I know he has a lot of interest in.

Anyways back on topic, a big congrats is in order for the progress made by the authors thus far. Due to the way many emu authors seem to work, great progress for one, usually means great progress for all due to shared knowledge etc

firestarter

Mahoukenshi Master!
apexad said:
I could tell you all about it, but instead, I'll let you see for yourself. Head over to this thread on the official PCSX2 forums to see a great game of Super Bust a Move!

Umm, that should not count. Bust-A-Move is on every single console since.....the Genesis! (I think) Besides, how could it be assured that it ain't the Playstation version of Super Bust-A-Move?

Gorxon

Administrator
firestarter said:
Umm, that should not count. Bust-A-Move is on every single console since.....the Genesis! (I think) Besides, how could it be assured that it ain't the Playstation version of Super Bust-A-Move?

Of course it counts, as it is the first PS2 game to run playable on a free emulator. Whether the game is released on other consoles or not doesnt matter. Or did I misunderstand your post?

On a side note, I do think this post was out of line, but I'm quite sure Apexad didn't mean it that way. That doesn't remove the fact though that it's a bad post...

CKemu

Originally Posted by firestarter

As the beta tester that posted those shots, let me assure you that defiently was the PS2 version ;) To my knowledge PSOne does not work on PCSX2 :p

As for Super Bust a Move being on every other console, thats pretty much true, but far simpler versions, and defiently not written for a PS2, given the code to play that game only works on PS2, and is not based on NES code :p It to me is an achivement, and one I enjoy testing, working with the authors in getting.

So if we showed you shots of FFX running, would that amaze you, I mean the FF series has been on NES / SNES / PS1 / GBA etc....hmm perhaps you need to think on that one :p

Oh and just before you get all excited, the chances of us showing you FFX shots in the near future are defiently VERY slim :p (damn that SPU2 :p )

OP
A

apexad

woah... sorry I did not read the replies sooner. Indeed, I am not saying Xeon is not a great accomlishment. Nor do I think that it's a competition between authors. I was merely trying to set up a certain level of excitement.

It's 2 diffrent systems and 2 completely diffrent kind of games, both are great steps foward. By comparing the 2, I am trying to point out advancements in both.

Maybe saying 'so who cares about that!?' was a bad way to put it. As was pointed out, I do care, I tried Xeon myself despite the fact that I knew my computer would barely do anything with it.

so with that in mind, after I write this, I will edit it.

And I apoligize to anyone who thought it was a bit rude, but I'm not a fan of boring 'only news posts' I like to put some excitement in it, after all I am the one who posted news 6 times in a row, I ask any of you to do that, and not want to have some fun with it.

lastly, I posted this news when i was half asleep :) so it was hard for me to think of good ways to build excitement. If any of you hang out on IRC you know that I barely swear until after 1am central time. As I get tired, my vocabulary is a little less 'nice' sounding sometimes. I could have swore or done worse then I did, the fact that I did not shows how much I respect the authors of emulators. But again, I apoligize.

P.S. - I asked in #emulation64 after I edited the post if it was better or not and here is what I was asked:

(8:36pm) {pyrokenx} what does halo have to do with pcsx2?

my reply was that there both 2nd generation next gen systems (xbox and ps2), but beyond that, there is no connection, so why give some glory to Xeon in a post about PCSX2? Why was I thinking about Xeon when I was writing news about a PCSX2 emulator? Because I respect it that much as an accomplishment. So don't insult me so much for being a little controverisal. Think outside the box a bit!

Last edited:

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
We accept you messed up, thanks for the edit.
I'm Sure We all look forward to you posting at a more reasonable and more in control of your faculties time. :)

firestarter

Mahoukenshi Master!
CKemu said:
As the beta tester that posted those shots, let me assure you that defiently was the PS2 version ;) To my knowledge PSOne does not work on PCSX2 :p

As for Super Bust a Move being on every other console, thats pretty much true, but far simpler versions, and defiently not written for a PS2, given the code to play that game only works on PS2, and is not based on NES code :p It to me is an achivement, and one I enjoy testing, working with the authors in getting.

So if we showed you shots of FFX running, would that amaze you, I mean the FF series has been on NES / SNES / PS1 / GBA etc....hmm perhaps you need to think on that one :p

Oh and just before you get all excited, the chances of us showing you FFX shots in the near future are defiently VERY slim :p (damn that SPU2 :p )

Um...That's different. That's comparing apples (Final Fantasy) and oranges (Bust-A-Move). And for the record, nothing amazes me (and besides, no matter what game it would've been, if something showed, I'd be more glad than amazed)....except maybe the incompetency of the American people. No wonder everyone is being sucked into the void that is self-destruction. (NOTE: I'm not saying every American's incompetent. Just the majority)

Oh, and you're forgiven, apexad.

Last edited:
OP
A

apexad

firestarter said:
Um...That's different. That's comparing apples (Final Fantasy) and oranges (Bust-A-Move). And for the record, nothing amazes me (and besides, no matter what game it would've been, if something showed, I'd be more glad than amazed)....except maybe the incompetency of the American people. No wonder everyone is being sucked into the void that is self-destruction. (NOTE: I'm not saying every American's incompetent. Just the majority)

Oh, and you're forgiven, apexad.

Well, I must say I totally agree with everything you just said.

Anyway, with the recent post by _SF_ telling people to use the debug build of directx 9, it seems more people are getting Xeon to run, but most importantly, it actually runs pretty fast. The biggest problem is that graphical glitches plague it. I'd still call Halo fairly unplayable though, as getting in game is one thing, but as I said, CKEmu was actually able to win a bit.

Your comparing apples to oranges brings up a good point, so with that in mind, I radically changed the post to reflect that a bit more. Because comapring Halo or almost anything to super bust a move is a big comparison.