What's new

Guru - N64 Arcade HW dumping :D

CKemu

Over at Guru's ROM Dump News he has started work on the N64 based arcade PCB's / Carts, which should mean some interesting N64 type arcade games being emulated one day in the future.

I received a DoctorV64jr 256M N64 backup unit (thanks to EFX) and purchased a Nintendo 64 console (I never thought I'd do that! hehe!). After 2 days of messing around, I managed to dump the Magical Tetris Challenge PCB. This means I can dump the Aleck64 carts too :)

Also note Model 3 Dump status was updated with Scud Racer :D

Check out the shots either on his site or www.emufanatics.com :D

The Model 3 WIP page is updated. Now with full 3D textures and cars in Scud Race!

Remote

Not to mention that Scud Racer is looking very promising, highly addictive gameplay... :D

OP
CKemu

CKemu

SEGA Model X emulation is fantastic, I am still playing House of the Dead and DOA (boing), but Model 3 will bring Virtua Fighter 3 / Daytona USA 2 etc....this is a good time for arcade emulation.

Quvack

Lol actually next gen wise and arcade wise the scenes kinda hit a nice kind of high :)

Eeeek hehe House of the Dead ran like crap on my machine last time I tried, must try again since I formatted :)

OP
CKemu

CKemu

It stutters alittle here, but after aligning the gun its been fun :D I have managaged to get all 3 endings as well (grins with pride :D )

NGarcade emulation is storming ahead, its extremely active, if CyRUS makes progress on the NAOMI 1/2/GDROM systems I think it could be said that NGarcade is progressing (atm) faster than NGconsole.

Mindu Check this out:

Model 3 Step 1.0 - 66MHz
Model 3 Step 1.5 - 100MHz
Model 3 Step 2.0 - 166MHz
Model 3 Step 2.1 - 166MHz

So you will need pretty powerfull machines to run the Step 2.x series, though of course how well the emulator is coded and what 'tricks' it uses will make a large difference.

NAOMI 1 is a souped up DreamCast, so we're gonna need a decent machine to emulate that :)

NAOMI 2 is more powerfull than a PS2 (Hence it can run Virtua Fighter 4 Evolutions), so gowd knows what we will need for that!!

/me is still hoping to see more from ZiNc and Namco System 12!!

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
I read that yesterday, about the N64 Dump kit, and I too am hoping for more ZiNc and Sys 12 games, namely Mr. Driller 1 + 2 that game, kicks so much ass.

OP
CKemu

CKemu

Hmm new dumps would help The_Author and R.Belmont but one thing everyone is wanting is the re-dump of Soul Calibur, the problem is that they need a new board, since the old one's GFX ROMs where damaged in the previous attempt :/

Now all we can do is sit and wait.....damn Paca Paca Passion Special looks cute as a dance game :D

OP
CKemu

CKemu

I just went over to R.Belmonts site ( http://rbelmont.nm.ru ), and he has ported the Model 3 Emu over to linux, and seems to run well with a GeForce 4 :D :D

Though he does note that Elsemi / ZiNc (team) have nothing to do with the emu :p

Reznor007

Emulation of ANY Model 3 step will be fairly slow, as they are all PowerPC based.

Naomi is a DC with more RAM, so it won't really require much more power than regular DC emulation. Naomi1/2/GDROM are pretty close really. The only difference between N1 and N2 is dual graphics processors, and an added T&L coprocessor(which will probably be very slow to emulate). GDROM is just a different storage media(you can convert a N1/2 board to use a GDROM drive easily).

I myself am waiting for Aaron Giles' Seattle hardware driver for MAME. MIPS R5000 at 150MHz+ADSP2115 sound+3dfx Voodoo2 based graphics...yeah, it's gonna be slow(that's why I have a real NFL Blitz '99 arcade PCB) :)

OP
CKemu

CKemu

Yeah GD ROM drive turned a NAOMI 1/2 system into the NAOMI 1/2GDrom, pretty much the same format as a DC used, 1GB DVD data and afaik a section of standardCD data.

Ahh a fellow PCB owner, I own Tekken 2B / Hellitiger and the MVS version of Metal Slug 3 :D

MAME is great for documenting hardware (but loosing that classification by storing all the games in a folder called /roms/ (I would prefer /roms/system/)). When it comes to emulating the NAOMI 1/2 or Model 3 under MAME that will be a joke!

Reznor007

Actually you can separate the MAME ROM folder into drivers or systems. Just make subfolders for the driver/system and add that path to your ROM directory. I think I heard somewhere that this functionality is coming to CLRMAMEPro sometime soon.

Actually I have a bunch of arcade games. Street Fighter 2 CE, Mortal Kombat(Y-unit), Mortal Kombat 2, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Soul Edge, Primal Rage, NFL Blitz '99, 1 slot NeoGeo MVS (with King of the Monsters, Sengoku, Samurai Shodown, and Puzzle Bobble/Bust-a-Move), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles(4 player), X-Men(Konami 4 player), The Simpsons(4 player), NBA Hangtime, Killer Instinct 2.

Last edited:
OP
CKemu

CKemu

Nice collection, I hope that rumour with ClrMAMEpro is true, that would be so usefull :D

Hmm looks like MAME is making a fair amount of ST-V WIP, some shots look promising.

ATM I am looking to buy a few more MVS based games, but I saw an old Pac-Man (Namco) board going cheap so I will proberbly pick that up, where do you get most of your boards ? I buy online alot, or from local arcades :D

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
CKemu said:
ATM I am looking to buy a few more MVS based games
Have you got the cash? Neo-Geo games are damn expensive, especially the better ones (hell, Metal Slug costs like 150 bucks).

Reznor007

I usually buy on Ebay, but I've gotten a few from the arcade I work at.

Note that PacMan isn't JAMMA and requires a different wiring setup(aka, PITA).

And MVS isn't exactly expensive, except for the brand new games(which for the most part aren't that great). You can get an original Metal Slug MVS(arcade) cartridge for about $60 US. The AES(home) cart gets outrageous though...I got Sengoku(included with my 1 slot system+marquee+2 joysticks+full set of buttons for $120) and Sam Sho for free, King of the Monsters for $25, and Bust a Move for $50.

OP
CKemu

CKemu

I also use eBay, the PacMan is from a local arcade owners collection, with complete cabinet etc :D

The AES stuff can get highly ludicrous with regards to price, but MVS is reasonably cheap, most I have seen are from $50-$200, NeoGeo has some classics, but I am a Metal Slug fan :D

Recently saw Daytona USA 2 PE and Soul Calibur for sale, again the PCB's are not stupidly expensive, of course buying the cabinets can be highly expensive, and you need alot of room, and plenty of cash for the electricity bill :p

I generally go for older stuff, unless its something that I consider a modern classic.

Bemani stuff is constantly on the market, but they are flung out so fast, they are made like $#!$ and so many upgrades exist, its hard getting a factory level PCB now, esp for second hand stuff. There are dedicated sites that sell arcade gear, but I prefer being able to bid, normally prices end up cheaper (normally).

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
I however, do not have the cash, nor the roo, nor the ability to pay my electric bill, so I fall back on old relable, my PC, :p

OP
CKemu

CKemu

Yeah thats the easiest / cheapest way, and the best for most people, but emulation got me hooked on systems / old consoles etc, so it started me collecting the hardware, and learning about the tech, infact since getting into emulation, I have ended up buying more and more retro stuff :D

Mindu even I don't have infinite room, so the computer is truly 'old reliable' :D