What's new

linemu's LIST 'O COMPATIBILITY

linemu

I've decided to write a list of games and their compatibility, errors etc.
I have a geforce3, use SuSE linux 8.1, and I use the glnintendo64 plugin for linux.

PLAYABLE GAMES>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

MARIO64---------------------------------------
Excellent!! Graphics, sound, and speed work well. not to much room for improvement here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

STARFOX64--------------------------------------
pretty good. Excellent speed and graphics.....but NO SOUND. I guess it doesn't have support for its audio ucode.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

MARIOKART64-------------------------------------
pretty good. Excellent speed and graphics......but NO SOUND. Same problem as starfox.
----------------------------------------------------------------

HARVEST MOON 64----------------------------------
very good. Sound, speed, and graphics are good. A few graphics glitches but not much. GOOD JOB.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

OCARINA OF TIME------------------------------------
GOOD! sound and graphics are good, speed is slightly slow at a few places (i.e desert collosus),and there are a few graphics glitches, but OCARINA OF TIME ON LINUX!! Its just too cool.

MAJORAS MASK---------------------------------------
Good! Works about the same as oot (though the game itself isn't quite as good).
---------------------------------------------------------------------

MARIO PARTY-----------------------------------------------
PARTY ON! speed and sound are good, graphics are basically good, but it has this annoying flashing graphics error. I hope this error is fixed. (I love the game)

BANJO KAZOOIE-----------------------------------------------
AWESOME! Graphics,speed, and sound are all there. Good game... Good compatability.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

SUPER SMASH BROTHERS-----------------------------------------
ALL RIGHT!! graphics , sound, and speed are good for the most part, although it slows down a bit playing multiplayer. Also when playing the Zebes level the framerate drops to .2, freezing up the plugin window.

NOT-SO-PLAYABLE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

DR MARIO64--------------------------------------------------------
start screen and menus work fine. Sound and speed are fine. But the in-game graphics are completely garbled.
------------------------------------------------------------------

DIDDY KONG RACING--------------------------------------------
graphics only work with TR64 ogl plugin...but there is one major error. When you play the game, all you see of your go-kart is the wheels! No chassis, no driver. SPOOKY!
-----------------------------------------------------------------

DONKEY KONG64-------------------------------------------------
Boots up but does little else.
---------------------------------------------------------------

MARIO GOLF------------------------------------------------
Speed and graphics.... AWFUL!
----------------------------------------------------------

YOSHI STORY-----------------------------------------------
displays beginning animation and menus fine.... but in game graphics are garbled.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

well thats all for now. STAY TUNED FOR........................SCREENSHOTS

please send your comments and your own game compatibility experiences.

Last edited:

blight

linemu: you do not seem to understand that the plugins are made by other people who should be contacted for bug-reports - mupens core is pretty much complete afaik and maybe one of the best 3 n64 emu's out there!
if i did bug reporting like you do i would have to list every game because speed is slow cuz i have such a slow box... :p

OP
linemu

linemu

bug reporting

blight said:
linemu: you do not seem to understand that the plugins are made by other people who should be contacted for bug-reports - mupens core is pretty much complete afaik and maybe one of the best 3 n64 emu's out there!
if i did bug reporting like you do i would have to list every game because speed is slow cuz i have such a slow box... :p

I wasn't "bug reporting", I was merely trying to get the point across that n64 emulation for linux is there. Most people think that the only good n64 emulators are for windows. I am trying to dispell this MYTH (well at least now it's a myth). I understand that plugins are made by other people. I also wanted to hear if anyone else has gotten games besides the ones i listed to work.

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
No offense, but Mupen is not the best emulator. It's not a BAD emulator, but in terms of compatibility and speed it's way behind the others. I mean no disrespect to the author, and don't mean to belittle it, just compare it. I hope he continues the project and makes it into a truly awesome emulator. It most definetely is far better than anything I can do, and once again I mean no insult. I just mean to show that while emulation on Linux IS possibly, it IS true that "the only good emulators are for Linux." Maybe not the only "good" emulators, but the only "great" ones.

Anyways, i'm sure Mupen will come along nicely. It's got tons of potential if the author wants to persue further.

A question - do normal windows plugins (they are .dll's!) work in Linux?

Clements

nephalim said:
A question - do normal windows plugins (they are .dll's!) work in Linux?

They have to be ported to Linux, and I believe that only OpenGL plugins can be ported (Am I right?)

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Wine currently has a decent level of DX7 support. Or at least, it did three months ago. They were working on DX8, and there is probably something in there now.

It might be possible to create a Wine-based wrapper for certain plugins, but it would probably be more work than porting them. Unless you want to use Jabo's gfx, say, where there is no public source.

Last edited:

piccolo17486

i hope someone try to port the new gln64 0.4.1 plugin, in windows its very good... and it shouls be so hard to port, since blight ported allready one. or has it been rewritten?

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Clements said:
They have to be ported to Linux, and I believe that only OpenGL plugins can be ported (Am I right?)

Yes, the only plugins that can natively be supported are the ones that are OpenGL (or SDL if anyone wrote a playing with those libs).

Also I don't think its possible to run a Linux program that depends on something running ontop of Wine, as Khan was suggesting.

OP
linemu

linemu

nephalim said:
No offense, but Mupen is not the best emulator.

I said mupen is a good emulator having already used many on windows. Mupens graphics, and compatibility are good even compared to many windows n64 emulators. Speed is improved and now mupen runs many games at decent framerates.

blight

malcolm: SDL is only useable for initializing OpenGL since that is platform dependent. Also it would be possible to compile a .so (linux dll) which is linked against wine and then loads native windows dlls like aimers audio plug and such - but it's hard to create such a .so + it'd make mupen slow and unstable