What's new

Twisted Edge Audio Problem

Azimer

Emulator Developer
This is intended for those who are working in N64 Emulation.

The Twisted Edge/King Hill 64 game seems to have a TLB problem that prevents Audio from working in the game. Here is the symptom.

When the game gets 6 audio buffers sent, the game goes into a TLB miss exception. The TLB is valid from a previous index being set from 0x00000000-0x00004000. When the Audio is attempting to write to 0x4001 eventually using Store Halfword. This is also an address error. The TLB fill does not happen when a TLB Miss exception occurs. When address error exceptions are enabled, it also does not fix the problem. The faulty code is located around PC = 0x80001844. The address error happens when the SH op is executed at that point using addresses:
Value: 00001B58
Value: 00001B5D
Value: 00001B61

It would appear something is fudging the values. Possibly a faulty opcode or faulty somethingorother. I have stepped through the entire exception handler, I have stepped through the TLB miss handling, I have stepped through address error handling. It seems to consider TLB miss and address error unrecoverable so the thread is never rescheduled. I have attempted to trick it in to rescheduling by pretending an exception never occurs. I get constant AI Buffers, but I don't get a single Audio List and the RSP is not being sent any other commands besides graphics. I wash my hands of this problem and leave it for someone with more experience or drive. :down:
:1964: :pj64: :luck:

nullroute

Lost and loving it
It sounds to me like you are using a ptr without testing for NULL somewhere. If you get rid of your __try/__except blocks and run in the debugger, it should break at the violating instruction so you can see what ptr is giving you hell. Although, being a *nix programmer, I'm not familiar with what Micro$hit calls a TLB miss exception ( Translation Look-aside Buffer maybe... in that case should be called Page Fault ).

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
rofl
try to get a clue before answering :p

for your information, TLB, TLB miss exception... are n64 hardware stuffs, as you can see now, your post is meaningless ;)

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
None of these replys are helping Amizer solve this problem, all this is doing is alerting Amizer this thread has been updated and nothing more, and he probably expects to see something that may help. How would you like it if your serious programming problem was turned off topic so quickly? :)