What's new

glN64 v0.4

Orkin

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R
I have released glN64 v0.4 on the glN64 site. You can get the details there. Let me know what you think, and have fun!
glN64-Smilie.gif

Orkin

Clements

This is an exceptional plugin! Definitely the plugin of choice to make games look just great, and now with Radeon support, it caters for lots of people :) Awesome!

Rice

Emulator Developer
Orkin

Very nice job.

Some feedbacks after quicking testing:

* Frame buffer emu does not work for Banjo Kazooie
* some random triangles during Zelda OOT intro (problem caused by incorrect vertex clipping ? )
* After running Zelda OOT, I cannot run Banjo Kazooie (DP interrupts are not correctly triggered ? Or some SP/DP registers are not correctly set after DList ?)
* Statusbar location error. Space above statusbar is not drawn by triangles but drawn by FillRect, for both 1964 and PJ64
* Graphics covered by 1964 toolbar
* Banjo Tooie, all white in game (I fixed this problem in my plugin, but I forgot what's it)
* S2DEX problem and primary depth problem with Silicon Valley
* S2DEX and S2DEX2 problems in many other games
* GoldenEye sky (did not you catch the partial solution?)
* SpiderMan, incorrect texture loading (Just like my plugin with OpenGL)
* Viewport problem with WaveRace64, background is not cleared at very beginning
* Speed is slower ?

HippyShoes

port?

Anyone (Blight? :) ) wanna port this little beauty to Linux? Would be a great openGL plugin for us mac Mupen users, especially with the Radeon support!

HS

decription

Some minor problems in OOT, I think it maybe JPEG decompression [i.e. the pre-rendered house inside etc.,] The framebuffer is unparalled in OOT. Amazing speed and near perfection, espeacially with the pause screen transparency issue.

Last edited:

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Wow, this is awesome. Image quality is unparalleled. But, as always, a few bugs.

- In 0.3.2b, the plugin would do vsync even in windowed mode, which was really nice. In 0.4, there doesn't even seem to be vsync in fullscreen.

- When I hit F12 to take a screenshot in 1964, some really weird happens. The 1964 status bar starts scrolling up and filling the entire screen.

- Running anything in PJ64 1.5 results in an instant crash in atioglxx.dll (drivers maybe?).

- Do ATi cards not support dithered alpha? I tried an invisibility cap in Mario 64, and it had standard alpha, not dithered. I tried using the nVidia Dawn wrapper, and while everything else was screwed up, dithered alpha worked.

- Sometimes "high-res framebuffer" works in Banjo Kazooie, sometimes it doesn't. I made a state save right before the first puzzle effect to test. Sometimes the effect is shown, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes it displays those mysterious yellow number in the upper-left corner, irregardles of whether the rest of the effect is shown or not. This seems completely random.

I'm sure I'll fnd more. :p But this plugin has come a LONG way.

Last edited:

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
The Khan Artist said:
- Do ATi cards not support dithered alpha? I tried an invisibility cap in Mario 64, and it had standard alpha, not dithered. I tried using the nVidia Dawn wrapper, and while everything else was screwed up, dithered alpha worked.

I'm sure I saw it working on my Radeon 8500LE at one point.

I've found that enabling 2xSaI doesn't seem to make a difference. Testing with Ocarina of Time (hardware framebuffer = :inlove: ) I saw the 2xSaI filtering took effect without me asking for it. Checking the box made no difference so it seems 2xSaI is stuck on for me. :doh:

Last edited:
OP
Orkin

Orkin

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R
Random Zelda triangles...most likely caused by a bug in my internal clipping (it does use a NoN microcode). I knew I should have done more testing on that...

Framebuffer textures MUST be enabled for Banjo-Tooie. The shadow is done by rendering it to an offscreen buffer, and then TexRecting it on-screen. Without framebuffer emulation, this is done on-screen, and messes everything up.

The sprite microcodes aren't complete at all. I'm still missing a couple commands, and the ones that are there are probably still buggy.

Radeons do support dithered alpha testing, but it absolutely kills the framerate (at least on my system), so I only left it enabled for GeForce cards. Did you get decent speed with the dithered alpha Khan Artist? Maybe I should just make it an option...

PJ64's working with it here, may be drivers. I'm using Catalyst 3.6.

The Banjo-Kazooie puzzle effect isn't working right because the FB doesn't always know when to kick in. It works by trying to tell when the N64's loading a texture from the framebuffer, and then redirecting to a list of saved framebuffer textures instead of loading it from TMem. But I still haven't come up with a way that detects loading from the framebuffer in all cases...

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Zelda OOT's Frame buffer effects do indeed work, however, on my r9000 some textures are screwed as a result, as you see in the attached screenshots, nice plugin btw, definatly like it, going to try more games :p, I've also seen some lines coming out of links head with and without framebuffer emu, catlyst drivers 3.6

Last edited:

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
OK, I was testing these out.

Rice said:
Some feedbacks after quicking testing:

* Frame buffer emu does not work for Banjo Kazooie
See my above post.
* some random triangles during Zelda OOT intro (problem caused by incorrect vertex clipping ? )
I see two. These happen as the camera is moving down the path to the entrance to Kokiri Forest, about half-way through the intro.
* After running Zelda OOT, I cannot run Banjo Kazooie (DP interrupts are not correctly triggered ? Or some SP/DP registers are not correctly set after DList ?)
Seems to work fine here
* Statusbar location error. Space above statusbar is not drawn by triangles but drawn by FillRect, for both 1964 and PJ64
Could that be the source of my screenshot problem?
* Graphics covered by 1964 toolbar
Yep, I get this too.
* Banjo Tooie, all white in game (I fixed this problem in my plugin, but I forgot what's it)
Works for me... What about Clements?
* S2DEX problem and primary depth problem with Silicon Valley
After the news transmission, I see the purple space ship leaving trails, and then pushing start does nothing.
* S2DEX and S2DEX2 problems in many other games
No comment. :p Give me the names of some other S2DEX and S2DEX2 games and I'll test.
* GoldenEye sky (did not you catch the partial solution?)
Yep, I see the same problem.
* SpiderMan, incorrect texture loading (Just like my plugin with OpenGL)
I start the game and see absolutely nothing.
* Viewport problem with WaveRace64, background is not cleared at very beginning
Same here
* Speed is slower ?
Hmm... I can't say I noticed a difference. :p

Orkin said:
Radeons do support dithered alpha testing, but it absolutely kills the framerate (at least on my system), so I only left it enabled for GeForce cards. Did you get decent speed with the dithered alpha Khan Artist? Maybe I should just make it an option...

With 0.3.2b, it ran horribly slow. With 0.4 and the nVidia wrapper, the speed was fine. I wonder how they did it? Too bad the authors of that wrapper chose to be anonymous. You might be able to get ahold of them by talking to the admins at Rage3D. I dunno. At least you could talk to Catalyst Maker about the problem.

Orkin said:
The Banjo-Kazooie puzzle effect isn't working right because the FB doesn't always know when to kick in. It works by trying to tell when the N64's loading a texture from the framebuffer, and then redirecting to a list of saved framebuffer textures instead of loading it from TMem. But I still haven't come up with a way that detects loading from the framebuffer in all cases...

Have you talked to Schibo about his new emu-aided framebuffer detection method that will be in the new 1964?

Last edited:

Waan2k

Emutalk Lover :)
Been looking forward to this release OrKin Great job :)

I'm plzed to say that Paper mario does not Filker at all for me and displays all the correct menu's and not abnormal like Jabo's, jabo's is pretty spot on too but this looks much nicer :).

Ive tryed Quake and Quake 2, Quake loads and then it comes up with what micicode thing I want to choose and crashes. Quake 2 is the same as jabo's plugin goes very slow when shooting, this might be a emu problem prehaps.

also yoshi looks like he had to much fruit :p

Overall great plugin it look a lot better then most plugins, I'm going to test some of that new frame buffer stuff.

:cheers: Cheers

Waan

Waan2k

Emutalk Lover :)
Recently I've been working on frame buffer emulation that works without transferring the frame buffer back and forth between the system RAM and video RAM. This results in much better speed, and allows me to leave the resolution in the plugin's resolution instead of scaling it down to the N64's level. It also allows me to better emulate the N64's flipping abilities (i.e. the Paper Mario flicker is gone now).

how silly of me didn't see that but your hard work payed off thx man :)

Rice

Emulator Developer
Orkin

It is not a good idea to have SPACE character in the DLL filename. With the SPACE, I cannot load it from 1964 command line because I cannot specify the filename.

Clements

Works for me... What about Clements?

Banjo-Tooie doesn't work too well for me performance-wise (the screen shakes and jerks and the speed is slow) In the following shot, I have enabled the FB for B-T, yet the shadow doesn't seem to work. The graphics are otherwise good though.

DarkInferno

Microcode CRC: 0xfc1e3290
Microcode Data CRC: 0x1e53ec21
Microcode Text: RSP Gfx ucode F3DEX.Rej fifo 2.06 Yoshitaka Yasumoto 1998 Nintendo.
Unknown microcode