What's new

***Important read, if you have msblast look here***

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
Not that I'm a Bill Gates fan boy, but do you realize how many millions of likes of code go into an operating system and it's components? Or how ridiculously long it would take to recheck them all again and again until it was perfect?

AND! You should hate the worm developer, they're causing the problems, and yes I know it's because of an internet explorer vulnerability, but nothing is ever perfect, and it takes very little to fix this because its EVERYWHERE, so everyone knows or is learning quickly. So don't get ticked at microsoft because they aren't god like programmers who golden touch makes everything perfect, get pissed at the guy who started spreading the worm.

Davemc

Dave
I wasn't stupid enough to get the worm. I have had about 600 ports scans and whatever on port 135 in the last 2 days.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
msblast isn't passed by e-mails, it's passed by a security breach.
And blight, if you think that your own precious Linux isn't full of bugs and security holes, you are dead wrong. It's just that Linux is a hell of a lot less popular, so people don't write that many viruses for it.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
DuDe said:
msblast isn't passed by e-mails, it's passed by a security breach.
And blight, if you think that your own precious Linux isn't full of bugs and security holes, you are dead wrong. It's just that Linux is a hell of a lot less popular, so people don't write that many viruses for it.

Wrong. It because to cause major damage in any *unix or BSD system you need root access, and not many of those users are stupid enuff to run everything as root :p

aprentice

Malcolm said:
Wrong. It because to cause major damage in any *unix or BSD system you need root access, and not many of those users are stupid enuff to run everything as root :p

If linux became a home os, people would be running as root. Also, you dont remember the apache remote sploits you see every now and then on linux? :p

Ja

Its like when hackers tell you to use Linux coz it rocks, its only because it stupidly easy to hack into someone with a unix box

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
David_Hayter said:
Its like when hackers tell you to use Linux coz it rocks, its only because it stupidly easy to hack into someone with a unix box

David, what are you talking about? *unix systems aren't easy to hack; well as long as your have a decent firewall.

And all to true Aprentice :p

Mmm

Malcolm said:
David, what are you talking about? *unix systems aren't easy to hack; well as long as your have a decent firewall.
:p

I meant, theyre easier to hack that windows boxes, have you tried th export display trick on a LAN??? is so stupid and easy to make that one gets surprised on how easy to get into a linux box and then have control over their screen. (Period, dont wanna talk bout it, so wont reply to any more posts)

Orkin

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R
Malcolm said:
*unix systems aren't easy to hack; well as long as your have a decent firewall.
The same is true for Windows systems. I have a firewall on the network I run at work, and this worm never had a chance at affecting a single computer there.

It's my belief that the problem isn't with Windows itself, except that it may be too easy to use. To do much with Linux, you have to be knowledgable about computers, which means you probably also know how to do a secure setup.

Anybody can setup and use a Windows system, and most who do don't have a clue about computers, not to mention security. That's why you see so many security breaches with Windows. I mean, what home user doesn't have a wide open 'net connection with no Admin password?

Besides, Microsoft found the bug and released the patch almost a whole month before this worm came out. If you just go to Windows Update every once in awhile...

And before you try to use that dumb, "If Windows is secure, why does MS have to release so many patches?" line, checkout how many security-related patches have been released for Mandrake Linux recently. Looks like an average of 12 a month over the last quarter...

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Orkin said:
The same is true for Windows systems. I have a firewall on the network I run at work, and this worm never had a chance at affecting a single computer there.

It's my belief that the problem isn't with Windows itself, except that it may be too easy to use. To do much with Linux, you have to be knowledgable about computers, which means you probably also know how to do a secure setup.

Anybody can setup and use a Windows system, and most who do don't have a clue about computers, not to mention security. That's why you see so many security breaches with Windows. I mean, what home user doesn't have a wide open 'net connection with no Admin password?

Besides, Microsoft found the bug and released the patch almost a whole month before this worm came out. If you just go to Windows Update every once in awhile...

And before you try to use that dumb, "If Windows is secure, why does MS have to release so many patches?" line, checkout how many security-related patches have been released for Mandrake Linux recently. Looks like an average of 12 a month over the last quarter...

I agree that the largest reason why Windows is considered a un-secure OS is because most users don't protect themselves. The reason why I suggest Linux (or Unix or BSD) is because things aren't hidden away, unlike in windows. If I want to alter the setting in my firewall I just head down to my /etc directory and edit the configure file.

Always there’s no way in hell that I'd ever say that Linux doesn't have patches. Patches are released hourly, daily, weekly and monthly; depending on what piece of software you're talking about. BUT that is the reason why I consider Linux to be more secure, in a sense.

If there is a security problem in a Linux application there’s often a patch written and sent out on the same day, or latest same week. With Windows how many people have to complain about something. Even the Automatic Windows Update thing I got on Windows 2k, I have it to check every day and then ask my permission to install the update. I've gotten updates that were marked as 2 to 5 weeks old, this is unacceptable.

Anyways, that’s about it from me in here :) this is beginning to turn into a nice :spam: thread :p

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Anybody who writes a program with buffer overflow problems (using any high-level language, C does not count) should be shot. Writing a bounds-checkign buffer class is C++ is rather simple.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
David_Hayter said:
I meant, theyre easier to hack that windows boxes, have you tried th export display trick on a LAN??? is so stupid and easy to make that one gets surprised on how easy to get into a linux box and then have control over their screen. (Period, dont wanna talk bout it, so wont reply to any more posts)

You're just pulling that out of your ass. That export display exploit only applied to one version of xfree86, its been long since fixed, and most distributions that included this version of xf86 were not vulnerable by default, since they didn't run xterm as root.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Just doing a little cleanup, this thread has been downgraded by symantec since October and the thread hasnt been posted in since september so I'm gonna go ahead an un-sticky it.