What's new

Interesting Graphics Issue Data Compilation (Attn: Jabo)

Pi-chi

I have discovered some interesting information about a known issue. Some know that in Goemon's Great Adventure (Mystical Ninja 2), underwater areas cannot be emulated properly. Whether this is a graphics issue or a core issue, I am not sure, but I've compiled some data after extensive testing. Since Jabo's plugins emulate graphics the best for the game, I've been doing most of the testing with his (yours, if you are reading this, Jabo). I have also used other graphics plugins for testing, though.

Now to get down to business. I have discovered that in a section of Kappa Road's cave, it reacts the same as underwater, blacking out with some multi-coloured static at the mid-top of the screen. On top of that, wave effects are also applied (which can be seen by how the static is moving on the screen), as though the area is underwater, but that isn't the case. I can only assume that they're heat waves or something similar. Now, I'll return to the underwater issue. When underwater, you'll notice that there is nearly complete blackness, yet at the very bottom, it appears as though some of the game peeps through. In fact, if an enemy swims by that area, you can see it. With some extensive testing, I have discovered that all the rendering data is still there, by use of the wireframe rasterization feature. In fact, it's how I was able to continue playing. This leads me to believe that the black covering may be a curtain of sorts (perhaps the layer which provides the wave effects), and isn't coming out as transparent, but rather opaque black. The internal rendering is still intact. Perhaps if there was a way to remove special effects layers, it would work more efficiently. Any ideas?

Jabo

Emulator Developer
thanks for the detailed info, I'll check with some people and see if they have any info, this isnt a game I play and I believe this is a known issue (according to 1.5 service-pack 1 on pj's site)

OP
P

Pi-chi

Smiff said:
apparently it's a framebuffer effect (? says rad)

Hmm. I experimented with that also. I do notice that it made some interesting changes, but it didn't even partially fix the problem. Even with wireframe rasterization, there seems to be some wireframe overlay which makes up the blackness in the foreground. It's a curious issue nonetheless.

Jabo - Thanks. Perhaps some of my data will help figure out exactly why it's doing what it's doing. The problem itself is a known issue, but I never heard of any details for it like I provided.

Kahenraz

The same problem occurs with Pokemon Snap and Bomberman. I've never seen a fix for this so a new plugin that supports this effect would be a real improvement.

OP
P

Pi-chi

Interesting. Well, if these other games' problems are in fact related to MN2's, we'll probably see a plugin in the near future that helps take care of the problem in some way or another.