What's new

Contest - public poll

Which was your favorite piece of emulation writing? Vote now!

• [url=http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?threadid=15142]How soon is too soon?[/url]

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • [url=http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?threadid=15109]Dreamcast Review : The Last Blade 2[/url]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [url=http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?threadid=15159]How Emulation Has Made Retrogaming Popular

• [url=http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?threadid=15081]How to Customize your n64 emulator[/url]

• [url=http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?threadid=15080]The Joy of the Word "Community"[/url]

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • [url=http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?threadid=15105]My Life with Emulation[/url]

• [url=http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?threadid=15212]The Khan Artist's Ultimate Project 64 Guid

• [url=http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?threadid=15208]Emulation, the wonder of discovery[/url]

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

Administrator
Which was your favorite piece of emulation writing for the contest? Vote now!

The poll closes in one week as stated in the news post below this. :naughty:

Remote

I can't locate a poll, so I'll put my vote here. I don't know it that's what you intended...

My vote is on Dude.

OP
Martin

Martin

Administrator
Erm I was style typing in the poll questions and linking them to the subject, vB3 is stupid that way that it creates and empty thread first that is populated later on with the poll options. :)

OP
Martin

Martin

Administrator
The Khan Artist: I see you already have so to keep it fair people can vote for themselves.

I've hax0red the poll function for this specific poll so only users with > 15 posts have permission to vote (to prevent people from cheating on this contest, or at least limit the cheating abilities). Also, only members are allowed to vote, of course. Happy voting. :D

Kahenraz

Martin said:
The Khan Artist: I see you already have so to keep it fair people can vote for themselves.

I've hax0red the poll function for this specific poll so only users with > 15 posts have permission to vote (to prevent people from cheating on this contest, or at least limit the cheating abilities). Also, only members are allowed to vote, of course. Happy voting. :D
*snaps fingers*

There goes my 1,000,000 vote victory.

katon

What's the deal with cornnuts?
as i expected, a moderator is taking the lead
im still perplexed as why staff can enter
can anyone explain?

Trotterwatch

Being a Moderator doesn't have anything to do with why I am in the lead I assure you! There is no hidden voting society, and I find your statement infering that there is one quite offensive.

Why should Moderators be excluded from this competition? At the end of the day you can see as well as I, whether or not the standard of writing is any good. If it were total rubbish and it were winning, then I would expect there to be some suspiscion. At the moment you are coming across like someone with a bad case of sour grapes!

Can we take this competition like in the spirit it was intended please? That means no cheating, no pimping your opinion all over the place, and no wild accusations :)

Last edited:

mrfcrougar

Staff are allowed to enter, but they can't vote on their own work. And Halo - people only vote for their friends (cf newcomers) tis human nature. But good point Trotterwatch, and I am sure that this is all legit.

What will be intresting is seeing howmany people do actually vote: given the catchment of this site: the world almost, and the number of people regestered to the forum, I would guess about 20%.

Oh yeah, this is my smilie :jason:
"Sleep Tight"
-Fredric J Crougar

Last edited:

halo

Trotterwatch said:
Why should Moderators be excluded from this competition? At the end of the day you can see as well as I, whether or not the standard of writing is any good. If it were total rubbish and it were winning, then I would expect there to be some suspiscion. At the moment you are coming across like someone with a bad case of sour grapes!

As I expected it seems to be more a popularity contest than a writing contest...

First Place: Trotterwatch with 1,305 posts (Mod)
Second Place: The Khan Artist with 538 posts
Third Place: apexad with 83 posts (Mod)
Fourth Place: katon with 46 posts
Fifth Place: Kahenraz with 177 posts

Notice a pattern? I do...

You've notably made it worse by banning all people who haven't posted 15 times. Surely someone who has posted once but has signed up has as much right to vote than someone who has posted 1,305 times? And with the mods and people who post often having more friends on the board than someone who has just joined gives them an advantage in my opinion. Oh, and guess who makes up the rules? The mods...

So your friends from the forum can vote for your work, yet my friends can't vote for my work because they aren't on the forum. Cynical? Me?

Sour grapes? Probably. But it doesn't mean the above doesn't apply. Particularly considering you lot can vote for your own work but I can't.

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

I take all of what you have said on board.

Have you read my opinion? Probably not the best piece of writing on the entire planet, but it is certainly up there with the best in this competition. It is not like I wrote some 10 word rant is it?

Why all the resentment?

The banning people who haven't made 15 posts thing was done simply because people cheat the system. As was proven today when someone from the same IP tried to vote for there own opinion using a new account.

OP
Martin

Martin

Administrator
I wrote the rules, I allowed moderators to enter. Noone else. The moderators didn't write the rules. OK? Don't go make things up.

Furthermore, I have no clue why you would think it's a popularity contest, it's up to each and everyone one of you to vote for your favourite writing. If Trotterwatch wasn't in the lead I bet you wouldn't complain. I prevented people with less than 15 posts to enter to stop people to just get a load of friends to sign up and vote for their work. If it makes you feel any better, I'll post the results of who voted for who when the poll is closed. The contest is far from over, it's only been one day.

If you have a problem with this system, consult me through a private message, I don't want to see flames and conspiracy theories in this thread.

halo

Trotterwatch said:
I take all of what you have said on board.

Have you read my opinion? Probably not the best piece of writing on the entire planet, but it is certainly up there with the best in this competition. It is not like I wrote some 10 word rant is it?

The banning people who haven't made 15 posts thing was done simply because people cheat the system. As was proven today when someone from the same IP tried to vote for there own opinion using a new account.

I'm not insulting your piece specifically, I'm insulting the whole voting system. Surely there is a better, impartial way of doing it that won't give long-time posters on this board an advantage?

There is one persons piece that, having read all of them, IMO shouldn't be in the top 5 based on its own merits. I'm not sure whether to believe its down to people having opinions differing from mine or the whole "friends on the board" thing.

The whole poll thing should ban people using the same IP anyway. But surely you see my point? I think that a better way of doing it would be to put a poll on the main website or to have a panel of voters to decide a winner based on individual merits.

emuser

Trotterwatch said:
Being a Moderator doesn't have anything to do with why I am in the lead I assure you! There is no hidden voting society, and I find your statement infering that there is one quite offensive.

Can we take this competition like in the spirit it was intended please? That means no cheating, no pimping your opinion all over the place, and no wild accusations :)

i think the point is that, ppl may think u are giving away the prize and taking it back.... or so it seems

Status
Not open for further replies.