What's new

CD image formats?

Cyberman

Anyone happen to have a useful document for the following CD image formats.
.bin
.img

I've looked about but have not found, the only thing I might do would be to use the source for CDR-Moby (PSX plugin) however I would rather have a nice clear document to work with :)

Cyb

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
A document? I don't know exactly what you are asking for...technical information? BIN was AFAIK pioneered by CDRWIN, and contains raw CD Data of some method. It's the best for making true copies. I'm not sure what IMG is, and taking a quick look it's not supported by NERO...I suspect it's the Easy CD Creator Format, but i'm totally not sure.

euphoria

Emutalk Member
CloneCD makes *.img's - not sure about the format however. Other that that i don't know. Maybe some open source psx emu would have a image support that you could look into.
But as a PSX emu nut you prob. already know that...

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
I don't think there are any actual RFCs for either of these formats since both of them were developed commercialy. It may be best to grab the source code to a linux cd burning app.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Nero supports .img, you just need to have a .cue sheet (but most people who do CloneCD rips don't include a .cue).

Nero and Discjuggler (.nrg and .cdi) images tend to carry the most information about file structure and even go as far as defining the CD's entire allocation table.

Bin/cue basically just has the binary rip of one or more tracks on the CD, as it was read from the CD, with the cue sheet telling the app how to burn - but the allocation table is generated on the fly.

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

Mutter

Ok .. so basically I need do ahem use what Moby has done and write docs of it then work from that (wee).

I'm trying to learn what information is contained in the formats and hopefully add to Moby's code image integrity check (grin). So that you know you don't have a screwed up image you just made when trying something out.

Cyb

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
Img/ccd is all clone cd
bin/cue can be made with win ISO
nrg is obviously nero image format
isos are also made by winiso
cdi is Padus Discjuggler
bin/cue is your most popular for major software online, it can be burned with nero, fireburner, alcohol 110%, or it can be mounted with Daemon Tools and then copied with anything you want.

img/ccd has to be burned with clone cd, or again mounted with Daemon Tools and copied.

Nrg has to be burned with nero as far as I know, or you can use Nero ImageDrive and mount it and then copy it with whatever you like.

ISOs will be burned by almost anything.

CDI files you can burn with Padus Disc Juggler or you can mount with Daemon again, these are your most popular format for Dreamcast games for one reason or another.

My the things you learn pirating software for a year or so...

Xeven

afaik the ".bin" and ".img" formats are the same. Both are binary rips with 2352 bytes (RAW) / sector, starting from LBA 0 (usually 0:2:0 lead-in) and contains no track info (TOC). The contents of the 2352 bytes differs between cdrom types, i.e data (greenbook), cdda (redbook), cdr-xa (yellowbook) etc, http://www.t10.org would be a good place to look for info.

Last edited:
OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

Xeven said:
afaik the ".bin" and ".img" formats are the same. Both are binary rips with 2352 bytes (RAW) / sector, starting from LBA 0 (usually 0:2:0 lead-in) and contains no track info (TOC). The contents of the 2352 bytes differs between cdrom types, i.e data (greenbook), cdda (redbook), cdr-xa (yellowbook) etc, http://www.t10.org would be a good place to look for info.
Thansk! That's truely helpful!
That seems to be the SCSI draft site (LOL).

I can look for the different format information though at least using GOOGLE. :)

Xeven

yeah, its the scsi draft site. But documents like MMC specs (i.e mmc-2) contains detailed info about the physical as well as logical data format for cd's.

mainframe19 said:
what is a type of image is a gc dvd?
Well, first you will have to hack your GCN to deth and some how make the GCN DVD drive to work 100% on a PC.
Then (maybe) any 100% bit-by-bit image format.

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

MODERATOR MODE ON
Speaking specifically about the Game Cube, we will not discuse how to get an image from it PERIOD. This is not a pirate forum OR board. Obviously there are Game Cube images floating around the internet. There format as I said fits no standard that I'm aware of. They might be raw images (would make sense).

Any further discusion regarding how to get data from a game cube will result in the thread being locked.

MODERATOR MODE OFF

I still haven't found what I'm looking for but has anyone deciphered disc juggler format per chance?

Cyb

Xeven

Assuming the disc juggler cdrom image was ripped using RAW mode, the contents of the .cdi file is the following: [(0:2:0) (lead-in) + RAW rip (2352/sector) + proprietary discjuggler info].

Cyberman said:
I still haven't found what I'm looking for but has anyone deciphered disc juggler format per chance?
Cyb

nullroute

Lost and loving it
img, bin, and iso are all direct rips of cds. the block size may be 2048 or 2352 depending on the format that the sectors are stored in on the original disk. If you want to know more about the format of the iso filesystem, look up "iso 9660" at www.iso.org, www.google.com, or look at the linux kernel source.

Last edited:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Cyberman said:

You may want to ask the developers of daemon tools, as their software supports virtualy every cd image format out there. Since their software is entirely freeware, they probably wouldn't mind sharing their info.

EDIT: hmm...apparently my browsers cache settings are fucked up.

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

nullroute said:
img, bin, and iso are all direct rips of cds. the block size may be 2048 or 2352 depending on the format that the sectors are stored in on the original disk. If you want to know more about the format of the iso filesystem, look up "iso 9660" at www.iso.org, www.google.com, or look at the linux kernel source.
Actually I'm a bit more familiar with the ISO formats than you might think.
There are 3 prevalent formats
CDA - CD Audio which is 2352 size sectors on a track
(Yellow BOOK) CDROM - 2048 sized sectors with 304 bytes of dead space for each sector.
(Red Book) CD-XA - Playstation games use this with MDECS and CD-AUDIO tracks mixed in. This is more a mixed mode format.

Anyhow I find discjuggler nothing short of anoying LOL.

Others:
Yep thanks I'm looking about.

PS ePSXe runs nicely under Linux

Cyb