What's new

Anyone play electric guitar?

adi

get out of my house
Hello everyone,
I got a guitar off musicyo.co.uk just before the site closed down. Can anyone tell me some songs to get off tab sites which sound impressive but which aren't that hard to learn? I've already learnt smells like teen spirit and pain for pleasure. In an ideal world I'd also like to learn all of the Smashing Pumpkins back catalogue, but I don't even know how to hammer or palm mute! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
adi

adi

get out of my house
My Dad is their biggest fan and they do have some fine songs. Not too sure about the haircuts though......

yogaman

Banned
hey I'm a bloody guitarist....... I love my guitar / if there weren't any girls I'd sleep with it :D ....

U wanna play easy songs....rock? or what....okay, maby u'll check out tabcrawler.com (although many tabs are shit, there is nowhere more variety) ....okay, hmmm...nirvana: smells like teen spirit / van halen: ain't talking bout love / offspring's easy (just power chords) ....hmmm ... lenny kravitz? : fly .....

Hey, tell me more bout what kinda music ;) ...or did I miss it :blush:

yogaman

Banned
oh forgot to ask....u got a band right?....then u could do really cool stuff (easy but CEWL)! If ur a solo....emmm...yes, that's a bit more difficult (if u do the singing/screaming)!

Well, VERY easy to play are linkin park songs / the prob is, u need a band....or u'd just be playing loud distortion chords ;)

In my band we are playing that (and I'm doing the rapping aswell ;) )..... u got good gear (like wah wah/ delay / ..... ;) ) ?

sk8bloke22

roll for life
i used to play the guitar. had a strat and a les-paul. in my rocking days i used to be able to play loads of stuff.

if uve just started, u might as well learn some basic chords, just to get used to stretching ur finger muscles and its a bit weird at first. learning something easy like Hendrix's 'Wild Thing' (just three chords: A D Eminor D A D Eminor....and so on). real easy.

then instead of learning crappy linkin park (metals answer to Hear'say) learn some basic Nirvana. at least they were decent. Basic nirvana tunes like teen spirit, and 'come as u r' (crap that is easy shit) will make it easier for u to pick up tunes with power chords. nirvana tab is easy to find, just to search on www.google.com . (hehe, power chords will really ache ur hands, but they're good practice, as loads of grunge/rock bands use them). i would also look for some basic (and i mean basic) jazz scales. when u can do these reasonably fast, ull be able to do loads of fancy stuff. thats when it becomes fun. mix al this stuff together, and also make up chords and shit, and learn bar chords.

i got to the stage where i was making shit up, such as tuning my guitar to like a well low note, like D or even C, and making up weird chords.

funny, i havent touch my guitar for ages. cant even remember much. its good stuff.

OP
adi

adi

get out of my house
You had a les-paul, man those are expensive! Anyway, I've found power chords pretty easy, they just take a lot of practise to switch without looking at the fretboard. I'll try basic jazz scales like you suggested even though I have no idea how they'll help me.

sk8bloke22

roll for life
they help u loads. basically (ive forgot all the names, which is weird man), but u can do pull-off and pull-ons (i think thats wat they r called) really easily and fast if u can fluently play scales. u know how guitarists do twiddly stuff in their little solos, well thats wat they're all about. actually a good solo to try is the teen spirit one its well easy, sounds kinda flash.

OP
adi

adi

get out of my house
Learnt it, but pain for pleasure sounds way cooler. Do you have a URL for where I can get these jazz scales, preferably tabbed?

sk8bloke22

roll for life
nope. i donno. just look under any basic scales, dont hav to be jazz (they're just used in jazz music), just like scales in e major. or wateva.

yogaman

Banned
hey theacj what about lessons? Take a few to get the basic idea...after that u can learn the rest...(but with good background u'll make progress MUCH QUICKER than just playing a bit with tabbed songs)...u won't waste hours learning wrong scales and stuff..... - my advice-

After that - go to vhguitar.com (hope they're not down - get the licks then get a prof!)

cheers -

sk8bloke22

roll for life
yeh yogaman is basically right. hav a few lessons, or just get someone else who u know who plays, to teach u some shit.

OP
adi

adi

get out of my house
I'm going to get lessons of an old man in my local music store.

OP
adi

adi

get out of my house
as long as ur ol' teacher plays with the guitar and not with ur d**k everythin's A-okay!

Yeah,yeah, for me, old men are divided into 3 categories.

1. Paedophiles

2. Normal men

3. Super funky jazz/guitar masters who are masters of their art.

I'm not sure if my teachers a master, but hes pretty damn good.

yogaman

Banned
good thing ur "master"'s in the 3rd catagory ;) ... hey btw, keep practising.... when I started to play guitar (ages ago) I was able to play stuff - but I couldn't do the GREAT solos and my technique wasn't good enough for light-speed licks.... now - if I look back - I was practising hours in my room to get the "stuff" into the fingers......

I might not be as good as ur master (if he's as good as van halen or yngwie malmsteen or vrai....) - but after years of hard work I can just switch on the radio and play along - improvision is just soooooooo cooool (I think that's the best thing 'bout the guitar - switch on distortion/ switch on delay / use a wah-wah pedal and then let ur fingers play....

lol ...I'm a passionated guitarist and sometimes I just go to DEEP ;)

anyway, theacj - guitar is the BEST CHOICE ;)