What's new

Multiplayer play, just like in the No$GMB

Ratore

The Crazy Internaut
Hello people, is there any emulator, just as NO$GMB that allows to play 2+ players in the same PC? I mean, to play Poke Red <==> blue or Zelda Four Swords.. I really want one ^_^

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
To my knowledge, there is no GBA emulator the supports the link cable. the devvers of VBA explain it simply this way.

It's a complex thing to do since the GBA is basically a simgle player console.

Also, the GBA link cable supports data transfer of up to 2 megs a second.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
And from what i know, the cable is also using sync transfer, which means it's almost impossible to emulate over internet, too.

OP
Ratore

Ratore

The Crazy Internaut
From the internet, i already knew, but it's really impossible to do one to link in a single computer? The NO$GMB did that, but only works in GB, GBC looks not so good..

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
like running to copies of VBA and linking them up that way? i dunno how'd you'd even fanagle that, or how it would come in handy.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Yes, I suppose doing it on a local computer wouldn't be any problem, but...they probably have other priorities first.

OP
Ratore

Ratore

The Crazy Internaut
Hexidecimal said:
like running to copies of VBA and linking them up that way? i dunno how'd you'd even fanagle that, or how it would come in handy.
Not that way.. In the old No$GMB, if you wanted to, u could make it split your screen in to many Mini-GBs.. That way u could link them.. In groups of two.. it was very util, however, you couldn't link two different cartridges(Like PKMN BLue and Red for instance).
It worked fine.. i will try to seek more info..

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
please do, i've never heard of what youre talking about, usually when i played pkmn red or blue i used the Gameshark to get the pokemon from other versions

OP
Ratore

Ratore

The Crazy Internaut
There goes an Screenshot.. Both are Pkmn Blue.. That was the only bad thing about NO$GMb.. U cannot link two different games.. But, just linking was a big help!
Pkmn.jpg

slade

Ninja
Use TGB_dual

re-name second players savefile to [insert_game_name_here].sa2

Works well on 1 machine but sometimes the item the pokemon's holding gets screwed.

i.e. your scyther holding a metal coat comes back a scizor with a soft sand.

shark1686

Heres my take on gba linking, eventually it will happen. I mean at first i thought the transfer pack for n64 would never be emulated. from the looks of things emulation (especially gba) gets better and better as time goes on.....

Cyberman

shark1686 said:
Heres my take on gba linking, eventually it will happen. I mean at first i thought the transfer pack for n64 would never be emulated. from the looks of things emulation (especially gba) gets better and better as time goes on.....

Well .. the only way to REALLY make it work would be LAN wise. WAN wise it won't, (IE across the internet). Here are the nuts and bolts of the problem.

Synchorise transfer on the GBA is 2Mpbs (not mbps) with a minimum of 32 bits per transfer (IE it sends 32 bits not 8 per transfer).

Please remember folks M <- 1000 000 k 1000 m 1048576 k 1024
This is ANSI and ISO accepted convention try to use it otherwise what you say might confuse people.
Mathematically this is 250K bytes per second. OR the entire contents of the GBA WRAM in a second to transfer (adequate for games in other words).

Continuing EACH linked GBA recieves this in parallel. Thus if you have 4 GBA's connected each GBA recieves all the data simultaneous (even if it isn't for that GBA). Responses are like wise.

This makes anything other than PEER TO PEER an abominable task.

Why? SCEW!
The scew between each attached devices is the hard thing to relieve. WAN wise one might be able to reduce it to about 10ms LAM wise 1ms though typically 100ms is expect WAN wise. It really depeonds on the hop count. On a LAN shouldn't be a big deal. :)

One MIGHT be able to do it quite well if both machines have an image of the game (and RUN them simultaneously). The difference of the data streams are sent instead.

Think of it this way.

VBA1
Image1 LOCAL
Image2 PEER

VBA2
Image1 PEER
Image2 LOCAL

The game emulates the PEER as well as the local copy. The only thing that's sent beween the systems is the KEYPRESSES :)
This prevents unsynchronise events, and the results should be identical on each machine.

Problems?
This is rather slow and the Emu versions need to be identical.
It might be a good cause for GBA dynamic REC usage.

Cyb

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
slade said:
Use TGB_dual

re-name second players savefile to [insert_game_name_here].sa2

Works well on 1 machine but sometimes the item the pokemon's holding gets screwed.

i.e. your scyther holding a metal coat comes back a scizor with a soft sand.

I have a copy of TGB Dual on my HDD that is slightly more translated, and has better docs than my last release. I'll have to dig it up and post it one of these days.

Actualy netplay doesn't work very well, even over a LAN, due to the utter lack of syncronisation code, but it works pretty well on a single PC.

BGB may well work the same way now, I dunno. It's been almost a year since I last messed with GB/C stuff. I'm sure the latest releases of BGB and VBA, and probably GEST too, have better compatibility than TGB Dual, but TGB Dual had some interesting features that I don't think have been fully duplicated in any other GB/C emulator. Check it out.

I don't remember if ZD has my last public release or not, but you can grab what they do have from http://www.zophar.net/Files/TGBDUE-7_2053-0_96.zip.