What's new

any requests for mupens gui?

blight

Hi!

I am planning to do some work on the gui again after some time.
Does anybody have any requests?
Like the possibility to turn off cols in the rom browser and such things :w00t:

:bounce:

HippyShoes

no requests .. but real happy you're still working on stuff for Mupen! :watsup:

hmm .. wonder if Hack is back on track? :)

(edit: sorry for the pointless reply).

killthegene

One Kool dude
as far as the linux gui is concerned no xp style icons would be nice (perheps some nice gnome ones). if you can be bothered then GTK2 and 100% GNOME HIG compliance. also and editable toolbar (think galeon) would be cool. tunable colum on the roms list sounds good.

there will be a surprise soon

cant wait

OP
blight

blight

killthegene:gtk2? no... gnome compliance? no - i do not know anything about it... tuneable toolbars for like 5 icons? naw
i don't like the icons either... since i do not use gnome i put together some kde icons... they look better than the xp icons at least (altoough 1 or 2 xp icons are still there)

Edit: I have compiled the gui with gtk+-2.0 but now plugins which use gtk+-1.2 have problems... these cannot be solved unless gtk+-2.0 versions of the plugins are made...

Last edited:

Soggie

command line options

Tentative feature request for the GUI:

- command line options, allowing creating an icon / menu entry that does something like: /usr/local/bin/mupen64_gui --autostart "N64STARS.V64" (the argument could be a rom name that the GUI looks for in its rom path(s); even better would be if the argument could be an absolute path to the rom file, but I understand this would require more work, as the GUI would need to figure out which unique ROM this maps to in order to be able to know about the save files to use - with an absolute rom path/filename mupen64_gui could be setup as a helper app in nautilus/konquerer/{whatever}.. )
- Fetch configuration file and save directory from ~/.mupen64/, ~/.mupen64_gui/ or similar (i.e., something relative to the current user's homedir, eliminating the need for a shell wrapper in multi-user installs. Possibly overridable by and cmd line option (--cfg ~/.mupen64/gui_gtk-optimized.conf)

OP
blight

blight

Any file manager which you want to intergrate mupen for n64 roms into will pass the absolute path to mupen - that's a good idea!
I myself like the idea of a wrapper script because when you do not use it and just try mupen in some particular dir without the wrapper script you do not get any "waste" into your home dir, unless you install mupen and use the wrapper script...

oiper

correct me if i'm wrong about this...

... being the guis problem.... but after killing mupen/gui, half of the time it reopens with a small window size and all the columns must be resized back from a very small spacing. It'd be good it it could remember where it was before the kill. :linux:

OP
blight

blight

oiper: yeah... that's been there since the beginning of the gui seems like it's some problem with gtk but it's fixed now (the options aren't saved anymore when the gui is killed)

Sri Narayan

blight said:
oiper: yeah... that's been there since the beginning of the gui seems like it's some problem with gtk but it's fixed now (the options aren't saved anymore when the gui is killed)

Whats about compatibility stuff (working games/grafical issues etc)

OP
blight

blight

@Sri Narayan:
That's not part of the gui but the core which hacktarux is working on!

mojo

Hey what about the Help File or Game FAQ part? I think you should do a GNOME Help file, I love seeing Mupen64 rocking on GNOME BlueCurve Theme. And could you ask some designer to make the BlueCurve Style icon for Mupen64?

OP
blight

blight

oh dude... i am not using gnome nor do i know any gnome developers/designers - if you want a "BlueCurve Style icon for Mupen64", make one and tell me where to find it

and why a gnome help file? what is a gnome help file? will it work only with gnome? why not some html file which everybody can open and read with their favourite browsers?

also it's getting kinda late for new suggestions i think... ;)

mojo

Yeah, html is better somehow. But...I still prefer GNOME help 'cause like me, many people use GNOME as main GUI. Blight, I'm also doing on GTK2 conversion project, when I finish, I'll send you first for beta testing.
Here are another improvment for GUI.
I'm not sure they have those modules in GTK1 or not but in GTK2 Nautilus Module, you can arrange ROM list as size, file name, CRC, etc. And you can modify the size of ROM name. If you can do it with GTK1, it would be great. I'm going to add those function in my GTK2 version in the near future. I have to admit, my GTK2 version is SUPER DUPER BUGGY! many errors!!! And it does make some games unplayble for no reason. Gosh...not easy to port it to GTK2 at all.

Cyberman

blight said:
how do you get the gtk+-1.2 plugins working with gtk+-2.0?
My self I've been trying to use Glade but I think some of the source for libgnomecanvas is broken because I can't seem to be able to compile it (darn it). As for GTK 1.2 plugins I believe you can't, you have to have there source recompile likely edit them as well.

Though I'm probably speaking from youth and inexperience, well inexperience perhaps more likely :cry: .

I was thinking of making a GTK gui front end myself and then noticed there was one (doh?) :)

I seem to be unable to get libglade to compile as well. Glad complains it can't find a few ld.so files (sigh). I shouldn't complain Glad compiles fine without the crap it's just anoying that they haven't taken the time to be sure everything compiles cleanly (I found a few threads saying that the source is a bit murked due to lack of constant mainting of the source tree).

Cyb

mojo

Yes, you have to reedit the code. First time, I wrote a front-end by using glade + Python. Then I found it's impossible to do it. I've encountered many errors. Then I collect my friend together and we begin to work on convert partially the program to GTK2. My version is just 10% convert. The Pango is added in. Only Main GUI changed, all something else like plugin GUI, remain the same. Yes, you can't change GTK1.2 plugin, that's true. I still leave it be. That's the reason it's buggy. It still run games, but I can't change the config, when I use config, it has seg fault due to the conflict of GTK1.2.

Cyberman

mojo said:
Yes, you have to reedit the code. First time, I wrote a front-end by using glade + Python. Then I found it's impossible to do it. I've encountered many errors. Then I collect my friend together and we begin to work on convert partially the program to GTK2. My version is just 10% convert. The Pango is added in. Only Main GUI changed, all something else like plugin GUI, remain the same. Yes, you can't change GTK1.2 plugin, that's true. I still leave it be. That's the reason it's buggy. It still run games, but I can't change the config, when I use config, it has seg fault due to the conflict of GTK1.2.
I'm having trouble with PANGO big time myself, it seems it's not installing the information for pangoft at all (argh). I read on the font config page this is an area where there seems to be a lot of problems due to the fact that KDE and Pango split up another package of code. I'm not sure what is causing the problems.

You could have used Glade + PERL too :) or Glade + LISP .. you should be able at the very least to use the old glade files you made the GUI elements with. As for the Python code.. ummm can't help you there. From what I understand Python is very nice but making things work with a GUI might be a bit of a challenge. I think the best combination of a scripting language might be TCL with Glade.

Cyb

mojo

Haven't tried LISP or PERL yet. Maybe I'll take a look on Perl. And LISP is competely unknown to me. I used to think LISP is a special short program written in AutoCAD.