What's new

Enlighten me. :)

Theboy

Question 1:

Using any of Jabo's GFX plugings.

Can anyone explain to me why 2d images always looked tiled. An example would be the character selection screen in MarioKart64. If you look closely at marios face (or the level selection pictures) you will notice that the 2d pictures look unaligned.

Using Rice's GFX plugin.

While using Rice's new pluging I noticed that the Quality of the 2d textures look better, but if you look closely you can still see that the 2d textures are unaligned as well.

Can any one please Explain how the N64 displays these 2d images and why they are always incorect. I my self have wondered if its because of the N64's native resolution and its conversion to higher resolutions or if they are unaligned on the Real N64 but the scanlines of our T.V.'s cover it up.

Question 2:

Camera Coordinates.

Has anyone noticed that when you play certain games and you get to close to a wall you can see through it, or you can see through objects? It almost seems like the the camera is in the wrong location from the actuall game. An example would be Star Wars Racer. If you use Jabo's Plugin you will notice it happen alot and a little less on Rice's, but it still exists.

Are the 3D camera loctions not being emulated properly? Or when using higher resolutions that are not multiples of the N64's native resolution does the camera not get aligned?

Question 3:

Mario's missing dissolve effect.

I was wondering what would be needed to figure out how to emulate this effect and would like a list of games that use this effect in them? Are there any games that can't be played because this effect isn't emulated?

Question 4:

I have noticed since the Gamecube disks are being pirated on the Net. We all of a sudden have The legend of Zelda's Master quest. Was this rom ripped off the preordered disk? If so.. has anyone had a look at how the Gamecube is able to emulate the legend of Zelda so well?

Question 5:

This is a hard one. Can anyone explain why buffered emulation for making Mario Golf run smoothly is so hard to emulate? I figured that the roms must have multiple cameras in them to render those extra effects. Why can't we just have the emulator render the other cameras in the background and then display them in the viewport camera? Kinda a copy and paste thing? I might be wrong and would like to know if we will ever see it properly emulated with good speed. would be nice if we could have the textures from these cameras match the resolution the game is being played in, so they dont look so bad.

Question 5:

Last but not least, can anyone tell me of a Rom that is emulated perfectly without any GFX problems or missing effects. I would like to compile a list of games with no issues at all and then add games as they are slowly being fixed.

Thanks for anyone who is able to add any input to any of my questions.

:tr64: RULEZ!!!

P.S. good job Jabo on all your compatibility and hard work towards the N64 Emulation Scene. You too Rice.

Clements

Question 2: This is a common problem with most plugins. Check out the N64 logo in the intro of CBFD, and the spinning mask in the intro of Majora's Mask.

Question 3: glNintendo64() is the only plugin to have the dissolve effect emulated, and it looks great.

Question 4: The Master Quest was most likely obtained from a beta N64 cart that was leaked rather than ripped from the disk, but who knows, you'd have to ask the people who created the rom to know for certain.

Question 6: Perfectly emulated games? Diddy Kong Racing with Glide64 is pretty much perfect. There are a number of games that are almost perfect if it weren't for one or two errors like The New Tetris is almost perfect with Rice's Daedalus. I'd say Quest 64 with glNintendo64() is another example of a perfectly emulated game.

OP
Theboy

Theboy

Do you know of a good site for plugins and support.
What do I need to run Glide64? I have a Geforce3 so will I need a wrapper? or is it all included with the pluging?

Trotterwatch

The best site for plugins and support is this one :) There is a downloads section on this very board which has all the plugins/wrappers/emulators you need.

To run Glide64 you'll need Evoodoo which is also available in the downloads section. You simply put the wrapper in the root folder of the Emulator and Glide64 in the plugins.

OP
Theboy

Theboy

Thank you very much for the quick reply. Being a moderator is there any way you can get a hold of any of the emulator coders to read and reply to any of my questions. Im greatly interested.. :)

Question 4:
The gamecube is using an emulator to play this game. The emulator was written by Nintendo, so it's perfect :) . The game has still got slowdowns because they are emulated with the game. You will get exactly the same result when you burn the ROM on a N64-cart.

OP
Theboy

Theboy

Are you sure that nintendo uses an emulator? If so has anyone had a look at it? Im sure some group will dump the iso soon. I just figure that it is an emulator and that the New masters quest rom is from that GC disk. Cause if it was a leaked beta wouldn't we need the HHD that was supose to come with the game? If this is all true it seems that they have been able to get information off GC disks for a while. the rom surfaced before the ISO's have.. :) We need to get some coders looking at Nintendo's work. Not to sure if its posible but i think you can turn some programs back into source. (well sort of)..

Trotterwatch

Theboy said:
Thank you very much for the quick reply. Being a moderator is there any way you can get a hold of any of the emulator coders to read and reply to any of my questions. Im greatly interested.. :)

I wish I could get one of them to come in and read this for you, but they are busy people really. However the chances are that one will reply if they feel like they have something to say that others have not said.

Your best bet is Smiff who is a PJ64 Expert. Again he is a busy person and will only reply if he has the time/inclination to do so.

Last edited:
Theboy said:
Are you sure that nintendo uses an emulator? If so has anyone had a look at it? Im sure some group will dump the iso soon. I just figure that it is an emulator and that the New masters quest rom is from that GC disk. Cause if it was a leaked beta wouldn't we need the HHD that was supose to come with the game? If this is all true it seems that they have been able to get information off GC disks for a while. the rom surfaced before the ISO's have.. :) We need to get some coders looking at Nintendo's work. Not to sure if its posible but i think you can turn some programs back into source. (well sort of)..
The Nintendo coders are very smart, so if someone can decode the full N64, he probably smarter than Myamoto himself. Nintendo is also creating lots of hoaxes to lead someone up the garden path. Check for example my thread about Indiana Jones in the general N64 emulation forum. I think it will take a while before the N64 is emulated perfect.

Well, your question was about the gamecube. Putting something into a source is very hard, but it's possible. This system isn't even emulated, so I think it will take a while before this one is hacked and the real hardware is decoded.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Theboy said:
Question 1:

Using any of Jabo's GFX plugings.

Can anyone explain to me why 2d images always looked tiled. An example would be the character selection screen in MarioKart64. If you look closely at marios face (or the level selection pictures) you will notice that the 2d pictures look unaligned.

Using Rice's GFX plugin.

While using Rice's new pluging I noticed that the Quality of the 2d textures look better, but if you look closely you can still see that the 2d textures are unaligned as well.

Can any one please Explain how the N64 displays these 2d images and why they are always incorect. I my self have wondered if its because of the N64's native resolution and its conversion to higher resolutions or if they are unaligned on the Real N64 but the scanlines of our T.V.'s cover it up.
I'm pretty sure that it's hidden by the scanlines of the tv. I can only guess, however.

Question 2:

Camera Coordinates.

Has anyone noticed that when you play certain games and you get to close to a wall you can see through it, or you can see through objects? It almost seems like the the camera is in the wrong location from the actuall game. An example would be Star Wars Racer. If you use Jabo's Plugin you will notice it happen alot and a little less on Rice's, but it still exists.

Are the 3D camera loctions not being emulated properly? Or when using higher resolutions that are not multiples of the N64's native resolution does the camera not get aligned?
API limitation. If something gets too close, DirectX automatically clips it, thus creating this "effect" that you see.

Question 3:

Mario's missing dissolve effect.

I was wondering what would be needed to figure out how to emulate this effect and would like a list of games that use this effect in them? Are there any games that can't be played because this effect isn't emulated?
No games are known to not be playable due to this effect, afaik.

Question 4:

I have noticed since the Gamecube disks are being pirated on the Net. We all of a sudden have The legend of Zelda's Master quest. Was this rom ripped off the preordered disk? If so.. has anyone had a look at how the Gamecube is able to emulate the legend of Zelda so well?
There can be many reasons. Most likely is an emulator on the disc.

Question 5:

This is a hard one. Can anyone explain why buffered emulation for making Mario Golf run smoothly is so hard to emulate? I figured that the roms must have multiple cameras in them to render those extra effects. Why can't we just have the emulator render the other cameras in the background and then display them in the viewport camera? Kinda a copy and paste thing? I might be wrong and would like to know if we will ever see it properly emulated with good speed. would be nice if we could have the textures from these cameras match the resolution the game is being played in, so they dont look so bad.
It's an emulator; it emulates what the n64 does. And the n64 uses frambuffer to copy every frame to these cameras, I think. It's easy with the n64 because it's built to handle such; but pc's aren't. Thus, it's hard emulating that effect.

Question 5:

Last but not least, can anyone tell me of a Rom that is emulated perfectly without any GFX problems or missing effects. I would like to compile a list of games with no issues at all and then add games as they are slowly being fixed.
Actually...I don't think there's any game that's perfecly emulated. One that comes to mind to be close, though, should be zelda or mario with Glide64. I know that the authors (Dave and Gonetz now) have spent time on fixing these issues. However, it would only be visible on a voodoo card; not using the wrapper since the wrapper doesn't wrap Glide64 perfecly.