What's new

WHY 2D and not 3D?

Ganonboy

I thin, that what Tesla guy was trying to say was, when you change resolution in PJ64, why is it only the 2D/backdrops that look less squared/better and not the polygons.
I think that this is because 2D objects can be resized, but when they are, they go all squared up (try walking up to a wall in Goldeneye), so by changing the resolution mode, you give the screen more picles, making the 2D object appear to be less resized (some how). When you resize a polygon, it doesnt go squared - I dont know why...

Smiff

Emutalk Member
yes, the 3d content is vector, the 2d is bitmap. If you don't like the look, stick to close to N64 res e.g. 512x384 or 640x480 and use FSAA.

OP
Tesla-Guy

Tesla-Guy

What i mean, is:
i run a game which has only 3d gfx. I have it 1024x768 res. and i get 60fps. i change it to 1600x1200 and i still get 60fps.
i run Rampage, which has only 2d gfx. I have it at 800x600 and i get 60fps. i change it to 1600x1200 and i get 30 fps (this is an example, happening with my old Gf2mx, my new geforce 3 is so damn fast ;) )
Also, i can't turn it to 640x480 since i have a 19", i can see large pixels even with FSAA on. :pj64:

OP
Tesla-Guy

Tesla-Guy

no it doesn't. Well, it was an MX, not Ultra or Pro. GeForce 3 is so fast that i don't know if this can happen and my monitor supports up to 1600x1200, so i can't test it to higher

Reznor007

The 2d elements are made up of lots of polyons that each have a different texture. This uses more memory and fillrate.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Tesla-Guy said:
no it doesn't. Well, it was an MX, not Ultra or Pro. GeForce 3 is so fast that i don't know if this can happen and my monitor supports up to 1600x1200, so i can't test it to higher
So that's why 2d is rendered more slowly than 3d? The N64 has problems rendering 2d, as do project64. Can this be it?

Firestar007

'Cause hey, if your CPU burns out, ya gotta buy a new one, right? And of course, you'd have to get the newest, fastest, most insanely up-to-date one while your at it, right? Sounds like a good reason to me. :colgate: