What's new

Some Questions

Raven

I'm relatively new to N64 emulation, so I apologize if these questions have obvious answers that I missed.

First of all, I have the latest version of 1964 using Jabo's D3D 1.4, azimer's audio .30 (old version), and Jabo's direct input 1.4.

I'm running it on a:
AMD athlon thunderbird 916mhz
Soundblaster PCI 128
512 mb sdram
Geforce 2 MX400 64mb (4/20/01 drivers)
Windows 98 SE

1) What ways is there to make games run faster?

I would think with my system that they would run plenty fast but most games I've tried lag pretty badly (mario 64, clayfighter 63 1/3, zelda OoT, and custom robo to name a few). I read somewhere that changing the CF value might do it, but the games didn't run any faster. I also tried turning off sound to see if they would speed up, but also no results.

2) Is there a way to make 1964 run more stable?

I'll load a game in it. When I get done, I choose the close rom option. But 99% of the time when I try to load another rom, it'll crash horribly with an error in 1964.exe. About 10% of the time, this crash will extend into windows and give me the blue screen of death. I started to exit completely out of 1964 after running a rom and then restarting 1964 to load another rom. But even then, it tends to crash on loading a rom. It's a bit of a pain to have to keep restarting the emulator or the whole computer to play a game.

3) How does one make "playable" games playable in 1964?

There's quite a few games in the ini listed as playable, but they don't run for me. I checked the roms I have with the latest GoodN64 to verify them. For an example, it lists Cruisin USA as a playable title. I also noticed on the compatibility list posted in one of the threads here that the fellow said it was playable. However, when I load it up, I just get a black screen. Happened with all versions of the game. I'm just at a loss.

Any help that can be given is appreciated, thanks. Kudos to the authors of 1964 for all their hard work.

schibo

Emulator Developer
For Cruisin, try setting DMA in segments to No.

As for Windows98, I know it still should not crash at all from loading a new game after another one. We will look to it, thanks.

To 1964 speed: I haven't played much with Jabo's input plugin, so i'm not sure if that is a speed concern (doubt it), but you can try NooTe's DirectInput plugin. You should not have any lag in Mario on your system..something else must be wrong but i'm not sure what. What framerate do you get when you turn off all syncing ? (VI/s)

Last edited:
OP
R

Raven

I tried setting the DMA in segments to No in Cruisin and it ran, thanks.

There was no speed increase when I tried NooTe's DirectInput plugin. I turned off all syncing and was getting 24 VI/s with Mario. I find it really strange because I tried Mario in Project 64 and it was running at over 60 fps. I would expect the same would happen in 1964.

Maybe it has to do with the settings in Jabo? Under the display tab, I have:

Rendering Device - Direct3D HAL
Windowed Resolution - 800x600
Full Screen Resolution - 800x600x32
Buffer Display mode: Transfer memory

Under the emulation tab:
RSP code simulation - RSP SW 2.0X
Geometry Transforms - Automatic
Texture Format - 16 and 32 bpp
Fog enabled
Display list culling enabled

None of the options under the advanced tab are on.

Oh yes, and if it helps any...when 1964 crashes the details says "1964 caused an invalid page fault in
module 1964.EXE". I checked just in case it was another program causing it to crash. Another part of the crashing that I find strange is that it always gives me 3 of those errors.

Rice

Emulator Developer
It is quite strang that 1964 is so unstable for you. Does it crash when you press any key on your keyboard?

Rice

Emulator Developer
Can you post rom setting for Mario64? Your PC spec is very good, 1964 should be able to run in perfect speed.

zorbid

I had big stability issues with n64 emus under win98 (first edit.) un till i installed Inernet explorer6 and OfficeXP. These apps update the core of win98.(If you like, you can remove office xp, the core update has a separate name in the add/remove program window.)
After that, 1964 became VERY stable. (almost never crashed).

OP
R

Raven

1964 doesn't crash from key presses on the keyboard. It'll load up a rom and say 'ready' in the status bar, but after a few seconds of black screen spontaneously crash. I don't have to touch anything.

I changed all the settings in Mario 64 back to the default 0.7.4 ini settings after finding that my messing with it had made it run even slower than before.

Hmm...I left office XP back at school. When I return to school after break in a couple of weeks I'll install it on here and see if it helps my stability any.

Last edited:

Allnatural

I've had a number of stability problems too, in Win2k no less. Often when I load a ROM the emu will immediately crash. Re-open and reload the same ROM, no problem. Close ROM and open another, crash.

It's just one of those "1964 has caused an error and will be closed by Windows" errors. :plain:

NooTe

Raven said:
1964 doesn't crash from key presses on the keyboard. It'll load up a rom and say 'ready' in the status bar, but after a few seconds of black screen spontaneously crash. I don't have to touch anything.

I changed all the settings in Mario 64 back to the default 0.7.4 ini settings after finding that my messing with it had made it run even slower than before.

Hmm...I left office XP back at school. When I return to school after break in a couple of weeks I'll install it on here and see if it helps my stability any.

Well, for mario you can without problem, use all setting rom to default. (Check it)