What's new

PJ64 under WinXP

markobenin

Am i the only one that PJ64 doesn't work for?! I install it, i try loading a rom, and winxp gives me those messages where is asks to "send error report" and when i click "do not send" it closes PJ64. Someone said it's basically teh same as the "illegal operation" error in win98. Why does this happen?

I've tried Nemu64 with evoodooxp and glide64 and it plays the games quite slowly and doesn't even emulate mario64. UltraHLE and UltraHLE 2064 are screwd up and same goes for 1964!

PLZ HELP!!

Marko

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
I don't know the answer to your problem, but you could always use 1964 (I think you need to be sure to use PJ64's RSP.DLL,) along with Jabo's GFX 1.5 if that's what you want. The result will be nearly identical to PJ64 really.

Did you try to uninstall PJ64 and reinstall it (I mean the Registry files, e.g. goto C:\PJ64\uninstall and click on "remove all Project64 settings.reg"). and delete the PJ64 folder, and then redownload PJ64 1.5 and install it.
And I hate to tell you that your system specs are to low for PJ64, the minimum system Specs for PJ64 is (out of the PJ64 User Manual)

P3 700MHz or AMD Athlon 800Mhz CPU: NOT OK
128MB of RAM: OK
200MB of disk space: OK
100% Microsoft DirectX 7 compatible video, sound and input devices: Video OK, sound Don't know for PCI SB16, and input U/N
MS Win98: WinXP
Microsoft DirectX 7 or 8: OK (WinXP comes with DX 8.1)

You can also try WinXP compatibility mode (but this was a issue older versions of PJ64), to use compatibility mode right click on PJ64 shortcut (or app) then properties and some where around there is a tab or drop down menu (but I can't remember:cry: ) but in the drop down menu select something like Win98. Click on link below for more info.
http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/answerstips/windowstips/story/0,24330,3358390,00.html

Clements

You may have the same 'Terrible Problem' that I currently have, which involves certain N64 emus to immediately crash on load. Haven't found a solution if that's your problem, but 1964 appears unaffected on my system, so you may have to use that.

Edit: The problem is directly linked to Jabo's plugin, so avoid that. Just look at the error report, and 1964 crashes when I use Jabo's (fine with others)

Edit 2: I got PJ64 working again by removing the Jabo video plugins from the plugin folder. Hope this isn't temporary :)

Last edited:

alexa999

Banned
markobenin said:
Am i the only one that PJ64 doesn't work for?! I install it, i try loading a rom, and winxp gives me those messages where is asks to "send error report" and when i click "do not send" it closes PJ64. Someone said it's basically teh same as the "illegal operation" error in win98. Why does this happen?

I've tried Nemu64 with evoodooxp and glide64 and it plays the games quite slowly and doesn't even emulate mario64. UltraHLE and UltraHLE 2064 are screwd up and same goes for 1964!

PLZ HELP!!

Marko

I use PJ64 under WinXP just fine.:plain:

Clements

Re: Re: PJ64 under WinXP

alexa999 said:
I use PJ64 under WinXP just fine.:plain:

So did I until I got the problem one day. I did manage to use PJ64 in the end by removing the Jabo video plugin out of the plugin folder and use a different plugin. Bare this in mind if you experience the problem at any point.

alexa999

Banned
Thanks!

Clements said:
So did I until I got the problem one day. I did manage to use PJ64 in the end by removing the Jabo video plugin out of the plugin folder and use a different plugin. Bare this in mind if you experience the problem at any point.

Ok, Thanks!:)

OP
M

markobenin

Ok, i have tried reinstalling and that doesn't fix it, so i will try removing the jabo plugins and then i'll try again. If PJ64 doesn't work again, what would be second best emulator to try for my system?

Clements

If PJ64 still refuses to work, try 1964 + Rice's Daedalus/TR64 Ogl
Use Azimers 0.40 beta 2 for Audio.

OP
M

markobenin

Allright will do, this morning i tried PJ64 without Jabo's Plugins, i tried Glide64 with evoodooxp-3.2 and i used Azimer's 0.40 Beta audio plugin and Nrage input plugin. When i went to open a rom though, it didn't give me an error, and just threw me to desktop, exiting PJ64.

When i get home i'll try 1964 with the plugins you suggested and i'll give it a go.

My system (other than my CPU) is good enough to emulate N64 roms, but i donno why it doesn't work. I remember i was emulating Mario 64 in UltraHLE in win98 with a 350Mhz processor and a 8MB video card!!

Any more help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Marko

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
URAMetroid said:
Did you try to uninstall PJ64 and reinstall it (I mean the Registry files, e.g. goto C:\PJ64\uninstall and click on "remove all Project64 settings.reg"). and delete the PJ64 folder, and then redownload PJ64 1.5 and install it.
And I hate to tell you that your system specs are to low for PJ64, the minimum system Specs for PJ64 is (out of the PJ64 User Manual)

P3 700MHz or AMD Athlon 800Mhz CPU: NOT OK
128MB of RAM: OK
200MB of disk space: OK
100% Microsoft DirectX 7 compatible video, sound and input devices: Video OK, sound Don't know for PCI SB16, and input U/N
MS Win98: WinXP
Microsoft DirectX 7 or 8: OK (WinXP comes with DX 8.1)

You can also try WinXP compatibility mode (but this was a issue older versions of PJ64), to use compatibility mode right click on PJ64 shortcut (or app) then properties and some where around there is a tab or drop down menu (but I can't remember:cry: ) but in the drop down menu select something like Win98. Click on link below for more info.
http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/answerstips/windowstips/story/0,24330,3358390,00.html

You must be anti-AMD?

An Athlon T-Bird 800 mhz can perform
comparably with a Pentium 4 1.7 ghz.

Pentium 4s have a smaller L1 cache.

And BTW, there's a chance you also have an early Pentium 4 core based
on "Willy", which reportedly can be whooped by an Athlon T-Bird core.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
markobenin said:

PLZ HELP!!

Marko

The Windows XP error message is
basically the same as the Windows 98
illegal operation error and of coarse,
even if you do send the error report,
that ain't gonna make Windows XP
keep Project64 open, thus Project64
still will close.

RJARRRPCGP said:

You must be anti-AMD?

An Athlon T-Bird 800 mhz can perform
comparably with a Pentium 4 1.7 ghz.

Pentium 4s have a smaller L1 cache.

And BTW, there's a chance you also have an early Pentium 4 core based
on "Willy", which reportedly can be whooped by an Athlon T-Bird core.

First I like to say that I'm not anti-AMD, second when I started to build my PC the CPU was going to be a AMD Athlon XP+ chip, then I had one problem (AMD Athlon + a heat vent in back of my PC = way to hot), so I got a P4 instead of the AMD.

james.miller said:
you must have done something wrong then - my xp1800 runs 33c idle,36c full load.

As I sad the heat vent was the problem in the winter (system was unstable when I installed Windows XP), but summer may have been different story (cold air + AMD XP CPU = one nice cool PC)