What's new

PCI to ISA Adapter

Kahenraz

I know these things used to exit before they were all pulled from the shelves due to compatability problems, but I'm hoping that SOMEONE out there managed to grab one. It's kind of a long story but I'm looking to buy one or pay someone to build me one. I can reimburse for parts used or provide parts.

:cry:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Kahenraz said:
I know these things used to exit before they were all pulled from the shelves due to compatability problems, but I'm hoping that SOMEONE out there managed to grab one. It's kind of a long story but I'm looking to buy one or pay someone to build me one. I can reimburse for parts used or provide parts.

:cry:

OK, wait... do you mean a device which lets you plug an ISA card into a PCI slot, or a PCI card into an ISA slot?

OP
Kahenraz

Kahenraz

The adapter would fit into the PCI slot and have an ISA slot adapter to plug my ISA card into. The way the two slots were made, one can fit fairly snug next to the other. My eyes boggled when I stumbled accross this:

pci_isa_slot.jpg

Eagle

aka Alshain
Yeah, I remember seeing those around. When PCI first came out, nobody wanted to buy all new cards and many motherboards dropped support for ISA almost immediately. This was the solution. Didnt work to well though, the conversion from 16 to 32 was buggy.

Slougi

The above is neither PCI nor ISA though, I suspect it is from either an old IBM or Compaq pc. I have something similar in my old Packard Bell Pentium 133.

OP
Kahenraz

Kahenraz

I know that the two buses don't work very well together, but its only use it going to be to run a SoundBlaster 16. Nothing too intense ;)

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Slougi said:
The above is neither PCI nor ISA though, I suspect it is from either an old IBM or Compaq pc. I have something similar in my old Packard Bell Pentium 133.

Um... it's an ISA slot adapter with connectors into the PCI slot. Just look, it basically looks like a merged PCI and ISA slot...

And that's pretty neat :flowers: