What's new

Sound

jmc1029

Hey Azimer,
I know you are hesitant to talk about any improvements to your sound dll, but I have one suggestion. If you are having trouble with MusyX, you might try taking a look at some of the Game Boy Advance emulators which claim to be able to emulate their sound as well, which is MusyX based if I understand correctly. Perhaps a look at their insides might shed more light on how to do the same for the N64. I've already said it once, but I'll say it again. Great emulator! Definately one of the best if not The best!

Thanks
BoNeZ:cool:

Azimer

Emulator Developer
I don't quite follow. Where did you see/read/hear that GBA was "MusyX" based. Do you mean Factor-5 did the Audio API for the GBA? Not sure (and kind of doubt) it was MusyX based in the sense it's identicle to the N64's microcode.

OP
J

jmc1029

Big apologies

Azimer,
I saw your reply and took a second look around. I was very much in error. I am not sure how I got the idea that GBA was MusyX based. Duh! Thanks for being so polite about it! Forgot the #1 rule of internet research, "Always check out your sources". I did just try out the new release of PJ64 and it does support MusyX (or at least I can hear audio in TWINE, which I was told was MusyX based). The funny thing is, I tried the audio plugin that it was using in apollo and there was still no sound. I will say that I don't even begin to understand all the complexities of emulation and plugins and such. Perhaps you could shed some light on why the plugin didn't work in apollo. Thanks!

-BoNeZ:cool:

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Project 64 uses Low Level emulation of Audio. It uses it's super optimizated super duper l33t RSP recompiler for that. No other emulator has it so you won't get Low Level emulation of Audio from them. No emulator plugin supports HLE Audio other then LaC's, TR64's, and my own.

OP
J

jmc1029

ooooh, I see.

Ok, so it is basically the age-old battle of speed vs. quality/compatability. Pj64's emulator just tries to perfectly mimic what an n64 would do, while yours and other High level emu's try to intelligently decipher the bitcode and process it directly. Am I correct? Then I can definately understand why your emu would be faster but much harder to program. I would guess, then, that the PJ64 team didn't even need to understand MusyX. What would a programmer need to high level emulate MusyX based sound? Could a programmer mix some high level emulation programming with some low level emulation for aspects that are too dificult to emulate any other way? BTW, if you are getting tired of the constant questions, just ignore them. I am, for all practical purposes, a newbie and have plenty of curiosity.

-Thanks
BoNeZ:cool: