What's new

the plugins..... they're EVERYWHERE!!!

Subwire

ive tried a few different plugins for 1964, and none of em work correctly.
I have two questions:
1). is 1964 worth getting to work?
and
2). What plugins do you reccomend for my specs?
i dont think my specs will show, so ill write em here:
Processor: Intel p4 1.8 ghz
GFX: nVidia GeForce 3 OEM (Dell)
Sound: SBAudigy Platinum ex
RAM: 786MB RDRAM

I think you're talking about GFX-plugins. Jabo's GFX is the best around.

The configuration must be as follow:

For 1964:
GFX: Jabo's d3d6 1.5
AUD: Azimer's audio 0.30 <old driver>
INP: Your choice.

For PJ64:
GFX: Jabo's d3d6 1.5
AUD: Jabo's dsound 1.5
INP: Your choice.

By the way, which game are you trying to run?

OP
S

Subwire

ummmm
im tryin to run a few different games i found
including:
Marioparty 2
marioparty 3
starfox
goldeneye
and perfect dark

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
mightyrocket said:
Jabo's GFX is the best around.
Dammit, stop saying that! It's by far not the truth!
Glide64 shows just about the same amount as jabo's and other things that the plugin has issues with. And don't forget all the other good plugins out there: icepir's tr64, rice's unofficial daedalus, glide64...

Subwire: for best, i think you should try for yourself. All these games except perfect dark will run with Glide64. All these will run with Jabo's.
You will find all plugins in the download section. Remember to get evoodoo (in my sig) if you're going to use glide64.

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Doomulation said:
Dammit, stop saying that! It's by far not the truth!
Glide64 shows just about the same amount as jabo's and other things that the plugin has issues with. And don't forget all the other good plugins out there: icepir's tr64, rice's unofficial daedalus, glide64...

There is absolutely no reason to use Glide64 with a Geforce3. While i'll agree that Glide64 is a great plugin, unless you have a Voodoo card (in which case it's obviously the best) then until eVoodoo is updated there is no WAY it's better than Jabo's.

I don't know if Glide64 on eVoodoo is "better" than Jabo's on a Geforce3, but who cares.

The other plugins you listed are definetely good plugins (for high end users only, or higher end users only at least, GFX wise,) that show alot of promise of being the best in the future, but for now they simply do not measure up to Jabo's and Glide64. I don't mean to discourage the authors, in fact I mean to ENcourage them.

Rice's in particular shows great promise. and is very quickly moving up (however I believe Rice is taking a break.) However with a video card like mine, unless he makes a huge effort to get it working on lower end gfx cards, it'll never be useful to me.

As for PJ64 vs. 1964, both are good emulators, but I think PJ64 = more compatible whereas 1964 = more speed. Ultrahle 2064 also shows great promise to be a very fast AND compatible emulator, I look forward to progress of that sort.

Doom, change your name to "the glide64 praiser" or stop with saying that glide64 is the best plugin around. If you haven't got a voodoo card it's too slow for words and buggy as hell, and almost no-one has got a voodoo-card, so please stop saying that. Jabo's is in general the best plugin around, because it has good compatibility and excellent speed. TR64 and Rice's are slower than Jabo's.
Jabo's plugin is better than Rice's (sorry Rice, but it's the truth) in speed and compatibility.
TR64 is only focused on Perfect Dark, and it's a little slow.
Glide64 is excellent if you have a voodoo card (but has no good Rare-games support), but if you haven't it's very bad (slow and buggy), there are a few reasons for using this plugin instead of Jabo's, but in general I'd recommend Jabo's.

Conclusion: Jabo's plugin is the best for the most games and video-cards.

Rice

Emulator Developer
mightyrocket said:
Doom, change your name to "the glide64 praiser" or stop with saying that glide64 is the best plugin around. If you haven't got a voodoo card it's too slow for words and buggy as hell, and almost no-one has got a voodoo-card, so please stop saying that. Jabo's is in general the best plugin around, because it has good compatibility and excellent speed. TR64 and Rice's are slower than Jabo's.
Jabo's plugin is better than Rice's (sorry Rice, but it's the truth) in speed and compatibility.
TR64 is only focused on Perfect Dark, and it's a little slow.
Glide64 is excellent if you have a voodoo card (but has no good Rare-games support), but if you haven't it's very bad (slow and buggy), there are a few reasons for using this plugin instead of Jabo's, but in general I'd recommend Jabo's.

Conclusion: Jabo's plugin is the best for the most games and video-cards.

I know Jabo's is better than my current version and it should be better since Jabo has been working on it for over 4 years. Jabo's is much faster and more compatible.

Glide64 is an excellent plugin, especially for voodoo cards for which the plugin is programming. Quality of glide64 on other video cards is largely depended on evoodoo. Most problems are caused by evoodoo, not be glide64 itself.

If you have Nvidia video cards, my plugin and glNintendo64() are better than Jabo's and glide64 in term of color combiner and blender, which means graphics are more accurate. Both evoodoo and Jabo's are based on DirectX 6.0, which is by far not enough to produce accurate colorness, even though the graphics are looking not bad, but not accurate enough.

(Jabo may also using Nvidia TNT API for nvidia video cards. I am not sure. Jabo's is looking much better than evoodoo/glide64 for my geforce 2.)

Last edited:
About the directx versions, do you remember BRA? It was based on directx9. I'm almost sure he discontinued it, but the idea wasn't bad. Why don't you add it to your plugin, Rice?

By the way, are you taking a break? I haven't noticed anything about your plugin for a while!

Rice

Emulator Developer
mightyrocket said:
About the directx versions, do you remember BRA? It was based on directx9. I'm almost sure he discontinued it, but the idea wasn't bad. Why don't you add it to your plugin, Rice?

By the way, are you taking a break? I haven't noticed anything about your plugin for a while!

Slow speed of my plugin is due to C++. I am using C++ (instead of C) in order to support both DirectX and OpenGL in virtual class hierarchy. Speed is not the top priority at the current moment (from my polling), it will be addressed later after I have satisfied with the quality.

For new progresses, you know, summer just started.

GuestX

Rice, I don't think Jabo worked over 4 years. As far as I remember,
Jabo joined PJ64 december 1999 or january 2000, because
Zilmar started PJ64 alone. So he worked maybe ~2 years on it.

But tough all gfx plugins are great. :)

PS: Correct my if I'm wrong.

Rice

Emulator Developer
SculleatR said:
Rice, I don't think Jabo worked over 4 years. As far as I remember,
Jabo joined PJ64 december 1999 or january 2000, because
Zilmar started PJ64 alone. So he worked maybe ~2 years on it.

But tough all gfx plugins are great. :)

PS: Correct my if I'm wrong.

Well, I don't know. To my understand, Jabo has started to work on video plugins before PJ64.

It doesn't matter any way. His plugin is the best one (I think). I hope I can catch him.

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
Rice said:

If you have Nvidia video cards, my plugin and glNintendo64() are better than Jabo's and glide64 in term of color combiner and blender, which means graphics are more accurate. Both evoodoo and Jabo's are based on DirectX 6.0, which is by far not enough to produce accurate colorness, even though the graphics are looking not bad, but not accurate enough.

That's noticeable specially in 2d graphics.
And both plugins also offer 2xSaI, wich in good cases results in a even more better looking game.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Don't get me wrong...jabo's is great. Glide64 is great. Especially on voodoo cards.
But again, lots of games look really good, perhaps equal of jabo's. I still think that some plugins are equal or surpasses it.
And again--there are specific game issues that only certain plugins fixes... :plain:

Oh and rice: so i take it c++ is slower than c?

Rice

Emulator Developer
Doom.

C++ is slower than C. C++ is usually 20% slower than C for the same code. If you are using C++ features such as classes, virtual functions, C++ will get more slower. (These are what I am using.)

For your Geforce 4 ti420 video cards, both Jabo and glide64 could be working very good because the video cards has 8 color combiners.

Both Jabo and glide64 are very good for triangle geometry, texture loading, speed and compatibility. Jabo's is better than glide64 on frame buffer emulation, compatibility. Glide (not just glide64) supports only upto 256x256 texture, this could be another problem for some games.

My plugin is much slower, but better on color combiner and alpha blender. It is less compatible than Jabo's, but similar compatible as glide64. My plugin has better compatibility of video cards than glide64 (may be not correct, at least I tried to do so.)

Rice

milen

Rice:
Glide (not just glide64) supports only upto 256x256 texture, this could be another problem for some games.

Yes, but if I remember correct Dave has made code that converts one large texture into several small textures which works perfect. On Voodoo cards Glide64 is very fast, in fact is much much faster than I need. In 1964 there're some too high speeds around 200FPS that I can't slow down.

Jabo's 1.5 plugin uses some software algorithms for functions that are not supported by some videocards, it slows down the plugin but makes it more compitable.

Cyberman

Rice said:
Doom.

C++ is slower than C. C++ is usually 20% slower than C for the same code. If you are using C++ features such as classes, virtual functions, C++ will get more slower. (These are what I am using.)

For your Geforce 4 ti420 video cards, both Jabo and glide64 could be working very good because the video cards has 8 color combiners.

Both Jabo and glide64 are very good for triangle geometry, texture loading, speed and compatibility. Jabo's is better than glide64 on frame buffer emulation, compatibility. Glide (not just glide64) supports only upto 256x256 texture, this could be another problem for some games.

My plugin is much slower, but better on color combiner and alpha blender. It is less compatible than Jabo's, but similar compatible as glide64. My plugin has better compatibility of video cards than glide64 (may be not correct, at least I tried to do so.)

Rice
Well this is a bit of a generalization with C++ versus C :)
C++ can be as fast as C however you have to carefully choose what features you are using of C++. OOP adds overhead, and anytime you deal with a DLL it gets worse. (IE if you are using C++ in a DLL that uses another DLL etc.). Microsoft has serious issues with how the optomize code for linking etc. :)

Cyb