What's new

How about putting Mupen64 on sourceforge?

king_hiss

What about establishing a sourceforge project called Mupen64, loading the sources into CVS, creating configure scripts, declaring the license to GPL and starting developing Mupen together?

We will need GPL'ed plugins for GFX and audio. Perhaps we should establish a separate project for plugins (like http://sourceforge.net/projects/peops). Glide64 (GPL) should be easy to port into Linux, and Daedalus plugins (being under GPL) are good candidates to be ported. Luckily there's already a very good input plugin by Blight.

After getting all the stuff integrated and working together, we could start incorporating Mupen into Linux distributions. I'm volunteering to make Debian packages.

In the end we should have an emulator like ZSNES which is actively developed, is included in most of the distributions, and is completely licensed under GPL to avoid legal issues.

Anyway, nice job Hacktarux and Blight and thanks for supporting the Linux community!

Tell me what you think
King Hiss

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Developpers won't pop up out of nowhere because i'll make a source forge project... If someone want to contribute he can easily contact me. If you look at the source code thread, you'll see that all source code is published. The reason why i wasn't publishing tr64 source until now was because i don't maintain it and i wanted to merge linux port with windows source code. I have submitted the mods to icepir8 but i guess he was too busy until now.

As for plugins, again, people can start it whenever they want to. BTW, Glide64 can't be ported to linux because it needs voodoo cards + glide3x. Glide3x isn't working well (if at all) on linux.

I have worked on the audio issue, it'll be included in the next mupen64 release.

Including mupen64 in distributions ? It's already included in gentoo portage tree but i guess they are waiting further improvements before including it in other distributions.

OP
K

king_hiss

Sourceforge project would make it easier for people to participate in the project, nothing else. I bet many Linux people feel it's a bit odd that the emulator is developed in a message board... It's not essential of course, but I see no reason why you shouldn't put it up. CVS should be much better than sending patches via email.

Glide64 is for glide cards only, but I remember seeing Glide3 libraries for Linux. Anyway, glide is kinda obsole and not much of use to most people so...

Most important thing right now is to get GFX plugins that are under GPL. As I said, the best bet would be to port a plugin that is under GPL, it would be most useful for us. You said there's no problem with audio plugin which is a great news. Blight's input plugin is well enough for input.

When we have complete emulator with open source plugins (and I don't mean just that the source is available, it has to be licensed under open source license), not until then will we see it in Debian and Redhat and other big distributions. For example, Debian can't include the emulator if any of the plugins is not under a free software license like GPL and I bet Redhat will have problems with any non-free license also.

The license issues are very important here, otherwise the project is out of use for the community.

Anyway, would you at least add configure scripts to make it easier to compile for Linux users?

killthegene

One Kool dude
configure scropts seem like a good isea.....

i doubt no matter how open source mupen is it would be included in distributions such as redhat because of legal reasons (if redhat wont even include mp3 playing utilitys i cant imagine the putting in an emulator) and if distros were to contain emus then surley the excelent Zsnes would already ship with distros. which to my knowledge it does not.

OP
K

king_hiss

It will be included in distros.

Emulators are completely legal unless they include things like BIOS images that are copyrighted. ZSNES is included in many distros, including Debian, which has perhaps the most strict rules when it comes to legality. There's also things like gnuboy, fceultra, VICE, UAE, and many more emulators included in various Linux distros and all of these are completely legal, in both USA and rest of the world.

mp3 stuff is completely another case: Redhat for example doesn't include some mp3 stuff because there exists some patents concerning the mp3 format.

Bottom line: there are _no_ legal problems with emulators when it comes to distributing them in Linux distros.

There is only one problem: if the emulator is not fully open source compliant, many distributions will refuse to include it. Every Linux user should understand why open source is important so I'm not going to tell about it here...

You can take a look at http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages and see that ZSNES and other emus can be found there. And, if Debian can include it, then any Linux distro can include it without any legal problems.

killthegene

One Kool dude
but in order to use an emulator fully you have to get roms of commercial games. and the legality of that is uncertian. anyway debian is a much bigger distro that redhat which you also mentioned and as far as i am aware it does not contain even zsnes.

i would agree with the source forge idea though. it is certianly offputting to potential developers to help develop an emulator currently developed in a forum.

blight

like hack said, mupen64 is open source... there is already an ebuild of mupen for gentoo (and also my input plugin is available as ebuild)

if the source license ain't acceptable for some distribution they will have to distribute binary (while mupen64 is still open source and source can be checked by anyone)

Slougi

mupen64 is not just open source, it is also Free Software as defined by the GNU Project ;)

[/ANAL-MODE]

Legooolas

cvs/sourceforge

I too would like to see the mupen64 source on sourceforge or some other publically-available cvs repository, as it gives an easy way to keep on the bleeding edge of the emu development, and I'd like to help on the dynarec core. [I'm assuming that the main emulation core is the slowest part, and that the video output is generally fine] ;)

OP
K

king_hiss

I have to add a few things...

First of all, yes, the roms are some sort of a problem. But you don't have to get commercial roms to use the emulator, there are also lots of public domain roms as we all know. You know ZSNES is actually in "contrib" section of Debian packages, which means the program itself is free, but reguires non-free software to run (this does not actually hold because you can run ZSNES with public domain roms as well but what the heck). And if ZSNES is not included in Redhat, well, that's their problem if they have so few packages (Debian distribution holds 7 CDs you know....), and most probably has nothing to do with legal problems.

Open source is a misleading term. That's why I usually like to talk about free software. Free software is more than just having the source available, or having the program distributed free of charge. GPL is perhaps the best free software license and I suggest you use it in Mupen64 and in all the plugins now and the future (as has been done mostly). Read http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html for a good definition of free software.

So, there are no problems with code that is under GPL, but if we have some code like TR64 OGL plugin or an audio plugin ripped from UltraHLE, this code is certainly not free software (I bet it doesn't even qualify the OSI specification at http://opensource.org/). This code is useless to most Linux distributions that care at least a bit about legality, since the code has no valid license, we don't know who holds the copyright, who has made modifications, etc. Some of the code is even more clearly illegal (UltraHLE...). So, unless Mupen64 qualifies as free/open source software, the distributions simply can't include the program, at least not as whole, not even the binary (because the source has to be available too - that's the meaning of open source).

If Debian for example was to include Mupen now, it probably has to rip off all the non-free code first, which would make the program quite useless. I don't know what is contained in the Gentoo package, but if it has the TR stuff and anything else that is non-free, they certainly are not caring about legality. Why not stealing code from Epsilon and Realityman (UltraHLE...) and including it in Gentoo? It sure is open source because the source code is available, right? Nooooooo....

Usually, people tend to use plugins to work around the GPL. That's why some emulators like gnuboy didn't even implement a plugin system (http://gnuboy.unix-fu.org/src/browse/README). Plugins are good though, but just don't make the mistake at using them to work around the GPL. I think it might even be illegal to include any non-GPL plugins in the Mupen64 source and binary distribution. Users can still use non-free plugins, though, you just can't include them in the distribution if you want to comply with GPL, which is a major drawback.

Now, this is why we need plugins under GPL and we already have GPL'ed input plugin from Blight, which is cool. Let's do the same thing for GFX and audio now.

I hope this clears things up.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Gfx plugins aren't really a problem as Tr64 license can eventually be cleared and there's some other GPL plugins.. But i don't have any other solution for sound currently. I have started a few months ago to study audio ucodes but it would take too much time, so unless someone pay me for coding mupen64, i don't have time to work on this part... Now if you really want one, you can still program it...

blight

you always talk about getting mupen64 into distros... who cares wether it is distributed with some lame ass distribution (like SuSE) used by users new to linux who most likely aren't able to compile anything themself.

mupen64 doesn't need to be included with distributions imo. if someone wants a n64 emulator he shall get his ass up, go to mupen64.emulation64.com, download source or binary of whatever packages/plugins he wants to and start playing.

mupen64 does not contain any code not written for mupen64 (i.e. stolen code) so there's no legality problem.

OP
K

king_hiss

Hacktarux:

Yeah, I hope the TR64 plugin license gets cleared out.

Doesn't Daedalus have open source sound plugin (although written for DirectX)? That would perhaps be a good start for someone who has time and skills.

blight:

People will start including Mupen64 into distros if it stays under GPL and gets GPL'ed plugins. This is my point. We don't have to worry about that, the only thing we have to worry is to keep everything under GPL so Mupen64 can be used extensively everywhere.

So, there's no rush, but the goal should be to create a complete N64 emulator (not only the core, but also plugins) under GPL. Don't you agree? If you agree, then I'm (and I bet many others are) willing to help in developing Mupen64, otherwise I don't want to bother.

tooie

king_hiss:
I am going to assume from your attitude towards GPL that you are not a developer .. I could be wrong tho. I think having a projects that are open source and have more then one contributor are great to be in a source control application, so people can easily add things to the project.

Emulation is not like a normal app .. most features are a lot more harder to add then adding you own little feature in a general app. You are not going to get some new programmers appearing and adding things if it is on source forge.

I do not think being part of a distro is a good thing for an emulator. It is to much in a grey area, the emulator it self might be fine .. but if your selling it, with no way to use the original format then you would fall under trying to promote piracy, which could then get the original writers in to legal case. if it is just hidden away .. no big deal .. if they start claiming it as a feature .. then watch the s*** hit the fans. if you want to read up more about the legality of emulation have a look at http://www.emuhq.com/emufaq/

I also do not think GPL is the answer to everything .. it would be nice to get another common license that if some one has done a lot of work and it mostly done by one person that person actually controls it. that person then can charge money for it and be able to get money for it .. I think you would find that more people would probably do open source applications .. but since when you do open source some one who thinks the world owes them everything is going to just rip it off. I like linux and I like that it is a community project... I do not always like some peoples attitude that everything should be free, that peoples ideas are not worth anything so you can just copy it and it does not matter.

I have nothing against n64 emulation since no one is going to go out and buy the games now .. except for ebay .. but that is not going to profit the original creators.

ryann

yeah

i think it would be kinda nice to have mupen64 on sf.net...it would make it more organised (well, apologises to those who feel its organised enough already ;)) and easier to access new updates via cvs and such. just my dual pennies..

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Re: yeah

ryann said:
i think it would be kinda nice to have mupen64 on sf.net...it would make it more organised (well, apologises to those who feel its organised enough already ;)) and easier to access new updates via cvs and such. just my dual pennies..

That's a common mistake... Each time i have something stable i release it. I wouldn't update cvs with something unstable, so it wouldn't change very much. The problem with an emulator is that when something new is implemented, nothing is working while you're coding it. In standard applications when you add a feature, you can easily commit it to the cvs, if this new feature doesn't work, only this feature will crash but not other ones. On an emulator it's different. For example i am currently rewriting some parts of mupen64, and the emulator is hardly working with the firedemo, would people be happy with such update ? I don't think so...

Concerning the source code itself, i know i should package it a bit better, i'll see what i can do :)

Dark Stalker

Glide works fine on linux. It can be hard to compile though. There's ebuilds for it in gentoo, and I've seen rpms (do a search on rpmfind.net).

Voodoo cards was the first with decent 3d accelleration on linux.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Dark Stalker said:
Glide works fine on linux. It can be hard to compile though. There's ebuilds for it in gentoo, and I've seen rpms (do a search on rpmfind.net).

Voodoo cards was the first with decent 3d accelleration on linux.

glide2x -> yes
glide3x -> no (it exists but can't be used directly by the user)