What's new

Easy money,Hacktarux ?:)

ShadowPrince

N64 EMULATOR CONTEST

Purpose

To motivate developers to successfully port a N64 emulator to the xbox with full graphics, sound, controls and saves.

Guidelines

GOAL 1:

Initial release: First release will be a 'proof of concept' release. It will play a 8MB cart (such as mario64) with full sound, graphics, controller, and saves. GOAL must be met within 6 Weeks of the contest start, or money pool can be dispensed back to donors upon request. After proof of concept goal is met, developer will recieve 20% of the contest's money pool.

GOAL 2:

Second release: Will have a 16MB(such as Mario Kart 64) cart working within 3 weeks of completing goal 1, or the rest of the pool will be forfeit. Upon completion 30% of the pool will be given. If Author completes GOAL 1, and cannot meet the GOAL 2 requirement, the Author must release his full sources to the public.

GOAL 3:

Third release: Will have a 32mb(such as zelda64) cart working within 4 weeks of completing goal 2, with the rest of the pot given as final compensation.

Contest Notes

Developer has the right to remain anonomous. This includes the fact that the pool holder MUST respect privacy issues when it comes time to paypal'ing the pool.

Example of the pool dispention would be...

If $500 is in the pool upon completion of goal 1, $100 dollars would be given as a prize. This leaves $400. 30% of the original $500 would be $150, so $150 would be granted as the 2nd goal, and $250 as the 3rd goal is met, assuming the pot stays constant. If the pot increases as developing is being done, percentages will be based upon the increase, not the initial value.

Please keep in mind that paypal has a transaction fee, and that if money is returned, it will be minus the fee. Here is a example of a donation.

Total Amount:
$15.00
Fee Amount:
-$0.74
That current fee is 4.94% of the initial donation. Which means out of a $1000 donation, $49.40 will be taken as a transaction fee.

Note: The top ten donors will get their names/nicknames in the credit list of the emu.

CURRENT POT TOTAL (USD)

$1358.57

Source : http://www.xbins.org/n64contest.php

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
This contests sound a little stupid...and if the developer attains goal 1 but not 2, he has to make the emulator open source. WTF! :getlost: That's stupid!

I find this whole thing idiotic. Emulators shouldn't be rushed. :doh:
Authors do it for fun in their own free time.

Slougi

Doomulation said:
This contests sound a little stupid...and if the developer attains goal 1 but not 2, he has to make the emulator open source. WTF! :getlost: That's stupid!

I find this whole thing idiotic. Emulators shouldn't be rushed. :doh:
Authors do it for fun in their own free time.
But surely there is nothing wrong about earning some money while you're at it?

OP
S

ShadowPrince

I don't see why emu author shouldn't have some compensation for his time and efforts,while working on emulator .

They sounds a bit demanding, true , but i don't see why this should be 'stupid' or 'idiotic', as you say.It sounds very reasonable to me.
Honestly, if such port is released,binary MUST be released WITH sources ,and original author should have some part of those money too. Port is made from opensourced emu , and most such projects released under license,that states,that any changes to source should be released with binary .

This contest based on pay pal donations , it's the same as placing pay pal on the site,just in this case,it's more orginised donations and emu author granted with some sum of money for his work.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Yeah, it's always nice to earn money. But I think the contest is stupid still.
If you use an opensource emu, and if the license (if it's under GPL)then of course you must ALWAYS release the source, no matter what.
Not just if you loose :plain: that sounds stupid...

yoy

Banned
Very nice initiatif pot is growing by the minute hehe
its at 1300$ now wow dollars are sweet :)

I'll donate some dollars too, would love to play zelda on my new xbox .

icepir8

Not enough info. There should be dates. Who verifies the emulator? Sounds like someone pulling a fast one.

should say something like.

First deadline May 30,2003 Proof of concept.

Second deadline June 30, 2003. Emulator must run level two roms. (Mario Kart, Harvest Moon, Golden Eye)

Third deadline July 31, 2003. Emulator must run level three roms. (Banjo Tooie, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini)

Just because the rom size is larger doesn't mean its harder to emulate.

Martin

Administrator
"That current fee is 4.94% of the initial donation."

Umm...no. PayPal has a 3% + $0.30 (per transaction) fee for receiving money for business/premier accounts. That doesn't equal 4.94%. Furthermore, I agree with icepir8. Sounds like someone wants to make a quick buck :p

OP
S

ShadowPrince

icepir8 said:
Not enough info. There should be dates. Who verifies the emulator? Sounds like someone pulling a fast one.

should say something like.

First deadline May 30,2003 Proof of concept.

Second deadline June 30, 2003. Emulator must run level two roms. (Mario Kart, Harvest Moon, Golden Eye)

Third deadline July 31, 2003. Emulator must run level three roms. (Banjo Tooie, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini)

Just because the rom size is larger doesn't mean its harder to emulate.

If you need more info,you should go to http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?act=ST&f=17&t=47551 . This is the thread ,that originated the idea.
Link to its located at the bottom of the contest page.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Honestly if they want it to be done, they should rather buy a Xbox to all n64 emu authors. Personnaly, if someone donate one, i'll be happy to port it :D

icepir8

Still too vague.

Alas, I don't have access to an xbox to dev for anyhow.

If they want to post a formalized set of requirments, I may be interested in trying. But until then I will continue working on Windows versions.

apexad

I have an xbox, the whole daedalus thing kindof pissed me off. I agree with all of you about the rules of that. However, I want to clear something up. The reason you must release your source code is beacause you got money for it. If you don't accept the money, you would not need to even provide source code.

In any case, this is an interesting propostion. I say at www.emulation64.com we try and beat out this other competition. All we need is about $250 for an xbox and modchip to give to one of you....