What's new

Just to confirm w/ ABL & compile buffer

Legend

I just read something that Smiff said a while back about if you have a fast enough comp. that turning ABL off (not only adds smoothness but some FPS as well. This would kinda contradict what the manual says. Just wanted to see if that is indeed the case with most people and most games.

Also, should I just give every game a large compile buffer or might that negatively effect the performance in some cases.

Thanks

OP
Legend

Legend

C'mon guys...No answers, no opinions. This is kind of a good topic since it might help others run their 64 games possibly smoother and faster than before. Well I'll spend some time with it myself tonite and see what I find out.

not in every case and game.also some games require abl on.
a more important thing for added smoothness is changing the cf from 2 to 1.but a duron 1ghz is simply not enough for such tricks,for many games.
don't turn on lcb,as very few games need that,elseway is just a waste of memory.rdb should have it right for you,for the few games that need it.

OP
Legend

Legend

Hey thanks. I'll go home and uncheck the large buffer from all the games-I think I applied it to almost every one.

I did discover with almost all my 50 games (except some old ones)that I lost about 15% speed when turning off ABL.

And since I have a nice video card (in my opinion), I use Glide 64 and I have tweaked my system so much, I can and do use 1 CF on most games for how much better most run-like Conker.

Now I just need to play with the self mods for some games to get them running as fast yet stable as possible. I discovered-for me- the Majora's Mask runs faster with Change Memory than Check and Advance-which is kinda wierd. Does the RDB set these most of the time and does it use the most stable mod. or what?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Yes, it sets them accordingly to stable. In order to prevent crashes, etc. At the cost of some speed, of course.