What's new

Full Screen problems

MisterFriday

My few choice words are: My zsnes is acting very strangely. It seems to work perfectly fine when in windows mode, where you can see the background, but when I go to full screen, it seems to resist going to it. It goes black and has a grey box and in it it has R,G, and B boxes and says something to the extent of "color format not formatted to screen" or something and then shuts off zsnes when you click on it.

Help?

Last edited:

Jimbot

PJ64k Support Team
it might have to do with your video settings. I really dont play this enought to know, but who knows what the best settings are for his specs? I mean, matched ratio, fitted screen res., or all that other stuff. Or does the chosen setting have to match with his screen res? I dont know.

Last edited:

Clements

Use a resolution with 'DR Full' and you'll get a much greater frame rate. I know this as my old computer (450MHz) the frame rate went from 17fps to 40fps. The actual stretching requires a surprisingly good graphics card.

Use ZSnesW 1.36, or one of the new WIPs.

OP
MisterFriday

MisterFriday

Oay

I did what you said and it works, but its slow. Its all choppy and stuff. Well, the menu is. And the actual emu is slow too. However, pj64 seems to run at around 45 fps. How can the n64 be running faster than snes? I guess the zsnes is around 30 fps, but i havent done it for that long. Help me please?

Last edited:

Clements

Decrease the resolution. Select High Priority mode in the options. You can disable some of the extra features like graphics and sound interpolation but it does not really make a significant difference I found. Just don't use the stretch if you can avoid it. I played ZSnes quite happily at 17fps on my old system, as the frameskip is good, when 17fps on PJ64 would be too slow to be playable (no frameskip). You will get 60fps if you use Snes9x and disable the stretch with your highest resolution on, but the picture is tiny, but can make certain games that require precision easier to play.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
MisterFriday:

Set your resolution to 640x480 DR Full. Don't set it any higher. There are NO benefits to running higher than that, at all - the app uses an off-screen buffer for actual calculation anyway, so the most you ever get is 256x224 (SNES's standard res) scaled up to 512x448 (SNES's max res), or unfiltered 512x448. Quality will never, EVER exceed that.

I'd recommend turning Hi-Res Mode 7 and standard 2xSaI on. Most games should look and run great with those settings on your processor. If tearing bothers you, you can try turing on Triple Buffering (automatically activates VSync), but you might not sustain 60/60 with that on...