What's new

VooDoo 5 5500 PCI info needed

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
I know it's not directly emulation related, but I will be using this card with Glide64 (and other EMU/Game related) hopefully.

So for WinXP Pro, Where and what version drivers will I need?

Also does anyone see issue with running this card inline with my GF4 ti4200 AGP?

Guess I just need to hook my second monitor to the new card or get a switchbox.

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
The Khan Artist said:
http://falconfly.de/, use the AmigaMerlin 2.5SE or TDHQ beta 10.

And fivefeet8 of the NGEmu forums would be the guy to ask about dual vid boards.

Moi? hehe.. :happy: I'm also registered here too.. ;)

LazerTag said:
I know it's not directly emulation related, but I will be using this card with Glide64 (and other EMU/Game related) hopefully.

So for WinXP Pro, Where and what version drivers will I need?

Also does anyone see issue with running this card inline with my GF4 ti4200 AGP?

Guess I just need to hook my second monitor to the new card or get a switchbox.

Goto www.voodoofiles.com for Winxp 3dfx Drivers.. They should work fine as long as they are for Winxp.. I personally use the 3dhq beta 10 winxp drivers.

There is no issue with the V5 pci running inline with a Geforce 4 card.. I have the setup and they work fine.. You can use your geforce 4 on one monitor to play PC games and use the v5 on the other to play glide.. :)

OP
L

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Thanks much for the info. I can't wait to get it all setup. Shold be much fun.

And thanks to the MOD who moved my post. Sry I missed the Tech forum. I'll try and double check myself at the door next time. :)

OP
L

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
fivefeet8,

Is there something I might be missing? I can't seem to get 1964 and others to use the new card for Glide. It seems they just want to continue to run with my GF4 even though I deleted Evoodoo and it's files.

I think I'll go try some Glide games for PC to see what happens, but any insight you might have since you are already doing this would be great.

thanks

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Generally speaking, the 2D-capable Voodoo card has to be the primary adapter for GLide acceleration.

In other words, you'd have to set up another hardware profile in which the Voodoo5 is the primary adapter, and switch monitor cables when you want your uberfast GLide support.

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
Yeah.. To use glide on your Voodoo 5, it has to be the Primary display.. You can still run ogl and d3d on your Geforce even though the V5 is the primary though.. Enable MultiMonitor accelleration on your geforce..

OP
L

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
OK, before coming back and seeing these two posts here is what I have done so far.

I was able to get the VooDoo working without being the primary. So now it works, but has a couple issues. When I first run 1964 using Glide64 it works, but the whole machine hangs within a minute with the sound looping. I have to reboot at this point. If I try it with sound disabled in 1964 it works great, until I try to run another game. It doesn't lock when I do this, but it doesn't play the next game either. No matter what I try at this point it doesn't seem to want to load a game again until I reboot or change video plugins back and forth.

I will set to primary to see if these issues go away, but knowing what they are I don't see why being primary or secondary would have any effect.

Anyway I'll post more results tonight after I make the change. And is this change simply defining primary from within Windows XP's display properties? or, Do I have to define it in my BIOS?

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
You should be able to set up a hardware profile for it.

And, yes, it SHOULD matter whether it's primary or not. Keep in mind, older cards were only meant to drive one monitor, and then, generally, if you had more than one card, you would of course use the better one as primary.

Because of that, or something like that, D3D and OpenGL generally require a primary surface for rendering.

OpenGL doesn't any more, I think, and D3D will probably follow soon (officially)... but GLide? Can't. It will never be updated again; it's dead.

GLide is meant to run on the first GLide-capable adapter it finds, if you have a 2D-capable Voodoo, then it's going to be a primary adapter (at the time), and if it's a 3D-only, it'll TAKE the primary surface away from your main adapter and use it itself.

API designers initially just didn't think of secondary surfaces, and now it's taking a long time to become standard.

OP
L

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Well I give up on this one.

I made the card my primary in BIOS and Windows XP, still hangs with sound looping yet neither my sound nor the V5 are sharing interupts or IRQ. I even went as far as taking my GF4 out just to make sure and still the same thing.

Well it was nice idea I guees, but I'm sticking with supported tech.

Thanks for all the help.

Flash

Technomage
Huh... maybe, but anyway glide sources was released by 3Dfx in 1999 and they're still available.

Last edited:

Stezo2k

S-2K
dont know why nvidia doesnt make there cards compatible with glide, glide is a gr8 api, really fast :) plus it would be good for voodoo users too who want to play there glide games faster etc

Flash

Technomage
Tagrineth said:
You should be able to set up a hardware profile for it.

And, yes, it SHOULD matter whether it's primary or not. Keep in mind, older cards were only meant to drive one monitor, and then, generally, if you had more than one card, you would of course use the better one as primary.

Because of that, or something like that, D3D and OpenGL generally require a primary surface for rendering.

OpenGL doesn't any more, I think, and D3D will probably follow soon (officially)... but GLide? Can't. It will never be updated again; it's dead.

3dfx GLIDE™ for Windows - glide2.x , glide3.x
Contact: KoolSmoky , [email protected] , http://www.3dfxzone.it/koolsmoky

Open sourced 3dfx GLIDE™ driver for Win32 (Windows 95,98,Me,NT4,2000,XP) ported from the Linux 3dfx GLIDE™ source code. The Linux source code was originally open sourced by the demised 3dfx Interactive Inc. Currently supports 3dfx Voodoo Banshee, Velocity, Voodoo3, Voodoo4, Voodoo5. It has been extended to support S3TC (DXTC) compressed textures, T-Buffer effects for all VSA based cards including Voodoo4, and optimizations for 3DNOW!, MMX, SSE, SSE2 are used.

Issues
Multi-Monitor with Windows 2000,XP
You may have problems running GLIDE™ on 3dfx devices other than the 1st. To run GLIDE™ on 2nd or 3rd device, disattach window's desktop from the display device using the display properties.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Stezo2k said:
dont know why nvidia doesnt make there cards compatible with glide, glide is a gr8 api, really fast :) plus it would be good for voodoo users too who want to play there glide games faster etc

They'd have to integrate a full Voodoo-series core into theirs. Not feasible.

Reznor007

You wouldn't need to integrate the old Voodoo core. The only things nVidia's cards don't support that 3dfx did was NCC textures and maybe FXTC(I can't remember if that was added or not).

Of course, you could just do a software emulation of a Voodoo1/2. It's been done already, just check www.aarongiles.com

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Reznor007 said:
You wouldn't need to integrate the old Voodoo core. The only things nVidia's cards don't support that 3dfx did was NCC textures and maybe FXTC(I can't remember if that was added or not).

Yes, but they don't support it in the same way as 3dfx did. GLide is pretty much to-the-metal Voodoo-series code.

Same reason, say, ATi's R5 core can't run GLide.

Of course, you could just do a software emulation of a Voodoo1/2. It's been done already, just check www.aarongiles.com

Software raster = slooooooooooow.