What's new

Getting a Saturn soon...

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
It's a little OT, but... I was originally going to get a PS2, but then I reconsidered my options and decided I'd get more fun out of buying a used Saturn (something I've wanted for some time) and getting some old, great games - and just waiting for PS2's price to go down another chunk or two before getting one of those.

So anyway...

What are the first majour games I should look out for?

Obviously I'm going to try for Virtua Cop, DOOM (love Doom series :D), Nights (what's the difference between "Nights" and "Nights into dreams"?), Sonic R, and Panzer Dragoon Saga (should be a bitch to find but god damn do I want it). Anything else?

Slougi

Tagrineth said:
what's the difference between "Nights" and "Nights into dreams"?
Same game, Nights into dreams is just the proper name of it :)
Look at some of the Capcom Fighters. The saturn versions kick ass :) Also look at the rpg's that are available for it! Lots of em are very very good :)

OP
Tagrineth

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Mmm. Ordered one.

Model 2, comes with Daytona USA, NiGHTS, and some Pro Golf game... a wireless (presumably infrared) controller which I'll probably toss and replace with a wired one... the NiGHTS pad (yay, NiGTS and its controller - saves me $20 I would've spent if they hadn't come with the system!)... and all the needed cables. $65 + $10 shipping.

I'll be buying a mod chip for it as soon as I confirm it HAS the 21-pin slot. Hey, for all I know, I'm getting a 20-pin model 1 and the picture in the auction was from someone else's offer :flowers:

Tangent: Does anyone else find the Saturn Model 2 stupid? The front of the model 1 looks cool, with the smooth shiny plastic and the oval buttons. Why did they remake it with standard ugly plastic and generic round buttons?

Back on track: I'll be *ahem* getting a lot of games for this thing once I have it :) Anyone know a place where I could get a standard controller, and two light guns, and maybe also a memory cartridge for a good price?

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
My list of need to get Saturn games..

Radiant Silvergun
Guardian Heroes
panzer Dragoon Zwie
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Grandia
Sfz3
Xmen vs SF
MSHvsSF
Astal
Nights
Christmas Nights
Virtual Fighter 2

I have them all.. You will need the 4meg ram expansion card for those Capcom fighters, but damn is it worth it...

OP
Tagrineth

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
fivefeet8 said:
My list of need to get Saturn games..

Radiant Silvergun
Guardian Heroes
panzer Dragoon Zwie
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Grandia
Sfz3
Xmen vs SF
MSHvsSF
Astal
Nights
Christmas Nights
Virtual Fighter 2

I have them all.. You will need the 4meg ram expansion card for those Capcom fighters, but damn is it worth it...

Mmm... Grandia... probably looks much better than the PSX version. I dunno though, never played the first one. I've played about half of Grandia II on Dreamcast though... bloody amazing game. Beats the bajeebas out of most PS2 games...

Well anyway, you'll have to *ahem* send me Christmas Nights, Grandia, and PDS *wink*.

Any idea where I could get the expansion card for cheap?

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Tagrineth said:
Mmm... Grandia... probably looks much better than the PSX version. I dunno though, never played the first one. I've played about half of Grandia II on Dreamcast though... bloody amazing game. Beats the bajeebas out of most PS2 games...

Well anyway, you'll have to *ahem* send me Christmas Nights, Grandia, and PDS *wink*.

Any idea where I could get the expansion card for cheap?

Ahh good 'ol Grandia 2, just finished the PC version of the game 2 weeks ago, the game 'r0x0r j00 b0x0r' errmm..

Thats really all I had to say...

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
I would of gotten a Dc my self but bah whatever floats ya boat ya know :D , anyhoooo um fighting vipers was fun.... um................................................ I think virtial on made it to the saturn no?

OP
Tagrineth

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
jvolel said:
I would of gotten a Dc my self but bah whatever floats ya boat ya know :D , anyhoooo um fighting vipers was fun.... um................................................ I think virtial on made it to the saturn no?

I'll get a DC in time, but for now I'd rather have a Saturn. Saturn is cheaper ATM, for one... :)

OP
Tagrineth

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Whee! I've had my Saturn for some time now ^_^

It's been successfully modded :satisfied, and I've been able to download one US game, Sonic R - runs 100% perfect off a copy. :happy:

I also got Virtua Cop and a Pursuer gun. :D

Vamp: Snip!

OP
Tagrineth

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Cless said:
But it's not in english is it?

No, unfortunately... oh well.

I'm surprised nobody's tried replacing Grandia Saturn's Japanese text with the already-translated text from the PSX version... oh well.

*line deleted because I'm stupid and forgot the rules due to my overenthusiasm*

Last edited:

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
Shit I forgot I modded here:happy:

Tagrineth I have to snip part of your thread, and since im in a really good mood the punishment shall be spared ;) just remember for future reference if you wish to ask about things like that keep it to the pm system:)

kizzycrew

I say, get Dark Saviour, Manx TT, Burning Rangers, Enemy Zero, and sega worldwide soccer 98 (better than the DC version for god's sake!) for some games that may not have been mentioned already!

flow``

flow``
the model 2 has the 21 pin chip. some rare model one's have 21 pins, but most model 1's are 20 pin. the only real difference in the two is that the model 2 has cheaper components :p

either model will be fine, you can always learn the swap trick for either model and save yourself a mod chip, but it's you call. a great resource for saturn hacking is segaxtreme.com

oh, and my fav saturn games..
guardian heroes
mortal kombat 2 (classic fighter :p)
virtual cop 1+2
daytona usa
house of the dead

i've got sonic r.. it sucks ;} you should pass on that

christmas nights is just a demo btw

suprised no one has mentioned sega rally, great racer

Alchy

I've only seen one mention of Radiant Silvergun, which is fantastic. Grab it.

Sega Rally is great, but it does only have 4 levels iirc... I found my copy for 25p ^_^

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
flow`` said:
a great resource for saturn hacking is segaxtreme.com

oh, and my fav saturn games..
guardian heroes
mortal kombat 2 (classic fighter :p)
virtual cop 1+2
daytona usa
house of the dead
christmas nights is just a demo btw
suprised no one has mentioned sega rally, great racer

I've been a member at segaxtreme for quite some time now. And I believe so has Tagrineth. ;) Those are some cool games btw. I do have them all too.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
You won't regret your purchase.. as fivefeet8 listed once, Guardian Heroes and Nights alone will make the cost pay for itself in enjoyement. :)

Edit: erm.. this thread is almost a year old. Yikes.

Last edited: