What's new

n64 on xbox?

Gorxon

Administrator
Well, being webmaster for the Daedalus page I should know the stauts of the project, but unfortunately i don't :geek:

I haven't talked to Storming Norman in several months, and though CyRUS64 meet him not too long ago, the status of the project is still a bit unclear. But I think Norman said that it isn't discontinued, and he will resume work on it sometime (whenever that might be). Dadealus was a project he worked on to have something to show business companies to get coding jobs etc, as far as I can remember, and he made a splendid job. The Xbox version was leaked by some idiot, and the reason he can't release it is because the Xbox SDK (XDK) is licensed software, in other words you need license to distribute files made with it. MS only give that to "certified" game developers, thus it's not legal for Norman to release another version. So the XBOX version is definately on ice until an open SDK has been made.

OP
T

trueimage

hrmm, that sucks. he should release it without the XDK, and leave people to get it themselves, i'm sure it would happen. then the owness isn't on him. i'd love to play my n64 games on xbox, like zelda.. i have the cart, but my n64 broke ;(

any way i can get in touch with him? PM me

mesman00

What's that...?
why do you want to get in touch w/ him? to bother him about releasing a version to you? leave him alone

OP
T

trueimage

mesman00 said:
why do you want to get in touch w/ him? to bother him about releasing a version to you? leave him alone

actually, I was going to ask him about the progress, and if he wanted any help in any way. I didn't know his MOM was on the board watching out for him.

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
trueimage said:
actually, I was going to ask him about the progress, and if he wanted any help in any way. I didn't know his MOM was on the board watching out for him.

Thats the last things emu authors want to hear.:getlost:

Gorxon

Administrator
Hey, hey, calm down. He was just asking for a way to get in contact and you jump at him..tsk, tsk. Actually, I will mail him now and ask about the progress, although I dunno if he still use his mail account. For those interested the mail addy is: [email protected] . Now be nice....:satisfied

Vchat20

Just a question. why is he worried about legalities? isnt emulation in general illegal anyways? what is the difference?

GuestX

Vchat20 said:
Just a question. why is he worried about legalities? isnt emulation in general illegal anyways? what is the difference?

No, ROMs are illegal, not emulators.

ps: StrmnNrmn needs the legalities, because he is
affliated to microsoft :p j/k

Vchat20

still, you gotta look at my point. if roms are illegal and noone has gotten sued or has a lawsuit from it, wouldnt it be the same for the xdk license?

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
No, because it's Microsoft, and Microsoft cares about things like that.
Plus, Norman works for a company that develops Xbox games, why would he want to risk his job?

Gorxon

Administrator
Well, actually it extends (just a little bit) over more than the consequenses that Dude mentions...but StrmnNrmn asked me not to talk much about it as he wants the whole issue to just pass through quietly. Which is why i ask you not to argue with the point that it will NOT be developed any further, for various reasons that have been mentioned and some which have not. Respect that please...

If you so eagerly want a version you can always port it over yourself...StrmnNrmn did it very fast (though he knows the code in and out), and it isn't really that much work afaik, as most code can be run unmodified...

Vchat20

yeah, I do get the point where you say it doesnt require much in a port. main fact is that the xbox is just like a computer. uses executables like a normal computer, just slightly different. only thing that needs done is a slight fuction call modification. dont hold me to this though, cuz this is old memory to me.

Dark Stalker

What about mupen on linux on xbox, does that work?
Or 1964 through wine? (I get 1964 running perfectly through wine on a PC, with an opengl gfx plugin).