What's new

Bump Mapping Video Plugin?

Dogman5

----------
Look at these renders I made (with 1600x1200 capture)

Is it possible to add glass-filtered effects, and bump mapping to textures? In a video plugin? I think it would be very possible, and I would attempt to create one, if I knew how to make them :getlost:

Kolano

One thing I was wondering...

Now that there are texture dumping pluggins, when will there be texture input plugins? Being able to specify a bunch of high-res images to replace the low res n64 textures would be awesome. (I understand that for some games that access textures in odd ways this may not be possible, but even if it worked for 25% of games it would be worthwhile.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Kolano said:
One thing I was wondering...

Now that there are texture dumping pluggins, when will there be texture input plugins? Being able to specify a bunch of high-res images to replace the low res n64 textures would be awesome. (I understand that for some games that access textures in odd ways this may not be possible, but even if it worked for 25% of games it would be worthwhile.

Use Rice's Daedalus or glNintendo64(); (or one of Pete's plugins for PSX) and check out their texture upsampling. It isn't as helpful as you might hope... though it is nice.

Kolano

Tagrineth said:
Use Rice's Daedalus or glNintendo64(); (or one of Pete's plugins for PSX) and check out their texture upsampling. It isn't as helpful as you might hope... though it is nice.

I have tried these, but thats not what I mean. I mean to allow for a custom JPG or whatnot to be subsituted for the N64 texture. Kind of like how Tenenbra Quake replaces the low-res quake textures with high-res ones (and adds bump-mapping and etc to them as in the original message here).

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Kolano said:
I have tried these, but thats not what I mean. I mean to allow for a custom JPG or whatnot to be subsituted for the N64 texture. Kind of like how Tenenbra Quake replaces the low-res quake textures with high-res ones (and adds bump-mapping and etc to them as in the original message here).

Of course, there's always the issue that while Tenebrae is technically impressive, it looks like utter CRAP. And I could tell you why too, if you want.

Kolano

Tagrineth said:
Of course, there's always the issue that while Tenebrae is technically impressive, it looks like utter CRAP. And I could tell you why too, if you want.

I don't know. It looks fairly nice to me, especially when compared with the original. (Try turning of the bumpmapping and other fancy effects in Tenebra and just using high-res textures, doesn't it look much better than the original?) Similar improvements made to a game like Mario 64 or Zelda could be impressive (assuming creative people took to designing texture packs).

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Kolano said:
I don't know. It looks fairly nice to me, especially when compared with the original. (Try turning of the bumpmapping and other fancy effects in Tenebra and just using high-res textures, doesn't it look much better than the original?) Similar improvements made to a game like Mario 64 or Zelda could be impressive (assuming creative people took to designing texture packs).

Probably. BM is out of the question though... oh well.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Bump Mapping looks like shit in Tenebrae mainly because it isn't implemented right - the textures look all too shiny. But Tenebrae still has a long way to go.

1) Everyone would like to implement the most advanced rendering options which gets the maximal out of their video-cards but the most of the people which writes this doesn't know that N64 textures are rendered optimal with a voodoo3! The textures just aren't 4096x4096-optimized. Jabo made this mistake with the implentation of T&L in his plugin, but it didn't change anything (visible) excepting the speed:getlost: . Okay, the 2xsai is getting a little more out of the textures but it still isn't everything what you see in nowday-games. If it was easy to implement these options, Nintendo didn't need the gamecube, but only a small expansion for the N64.

DuDe said:
Bump Mapping looks like shit in Tenebrae mainly because it isn't implemented right - the textures look all too shiny. But Tenebrae still has a long way to go.

thats why theyre working on a quake 3 version

Gorxon

Administrator
Well, the problem is that bump mapping wouldn't look ANYTHING like those two pictures. Well, it would if you added a noise map to the bum mapping, but that is obviously not what we would want to do. I actually did a scene in 3d studio to give as example but it crashed for the first time in a month, so I didn't care to do it again. The real problem is, as Tagrineth mentioned, that the textures in the game is not meant for bump mapping. To create bumpmapping effects for the games (with plugin) you would use the same texture as a bump map, while normal bump maps are grey scale images which often is quite different from the original image. It could look good if only used very light (not much), but the problem is that it would be applied to all textures which probably wouldn't have the desired effect.