What's new

System Requirements

fORTE9k

Just wondering wat sort of system ull need to run this puppy at full speed when the emulator is complete and fully capable of running commerical games.

:baaa:

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
fORTE9k said:
Just wondering wat sort of system ull need to run this puppy at full speed when the emulator is complete and fully capable of running commerical games.

:baaa:

Its hard to say right now the syst6em requirements for this emulator. It will all depend on the speed of emulation and the hardware, but since it doesnt run commercial games yet, you willl have to wait.

:emutalk:

WhtDrgnGG42

PS2 emulators

CpU MasteR said:
Its hard to say right now the syst6em requirements for this emulator. It will all depend on the speed of emulation and the hardware, but since it doesnt run commercial games yet, you willl have to wait.

:emutalk:
Just think about it, the original playstation emulators required that your cpu be about 2.7X faster than the PSX's, so if the PS2 is 333MHZ, that would make the computer be around 850+Mhz.

Trotterwatch

I don't really think you can make an accurate judgement on needed system specs by doing some standardised multiplication of the main CPU speed.

I think it is fairly safe to say that the PS2 will need a lot more than 850mhz to run well.

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
ePSXe 1.5.2 and my old Pentium III 450Mhz (PlayStation CPU x 13.5)

OK for most games, but slowed down in places and absolutely choked up on framebuffer effects. Even with newer plugins, I doubt total full speed would be possible.

You're saying 2.7 times faster would be OK? You're crazy.

Flash

Technomage
Lillymon said:
ePSXe 1.5.2 and my old Pentium III 450Mhz (PlayStation CPU x 13.5)

OK for most games, but slowed down in places and absolutely choked up on framebuffer effects. Even with newer plugins, I doubt total full speed would be possible.

You're saying 2.7 times faster would be OK? You're crazy.

And it's not a good idea to compare only cpu clock when talking about waaaaay different architectures. 33Mhz R3000 = ~75Mhz 486.
Same thing with w/ PS2 ... and computer is not only cpu.
Slower 3DO requires a lot more CPU horsepower than waaay faster Ultra64 arcade system or even Nintendo64.
Saturn emulation also requires three times faster cpu than PSX or N64 emulation.

I think 4-5 Ghz "traditional" :) x86 or 3Ghz A64 (but only in case of AMD64-native emulator) will be enough for PS2 w/ sound @60 fps, of course with good video card and lots of HLE :)
Simplier 2D games can be emulated w/o sound at 70-90% speed even on my old machine but it will require tons of HLE - low compatibility, tons of bugs.

WhtDrgnGG42

PS2EMU Specs

The reason that I said that is that I am working on an emulator right now, I am having a little problems with the sound, but the video is excellent, and I am using it on a 950Mhz. AMD Duron CPU. I haven't ran into a game being incompatable with the emulator yet, I am only having problems with the sound emulation. By the way things look, I am looking at a Dec 04 release for it. Also, I was running epsxe on a 333Mhz. computer with no problems.

*hint* It will be shareware, the only problem is that I will require you to find your own bios file.

The computer that is running this Emulator right now:

AMD 950 Mhz. CPU
128MB SDRAM@133Mhz Bus speed.
4X AGP GeForce 4 MX video
Cobra CMI8738/C3DX PCI Sound
LG 48X DVD ROM.
Gravis Gamepad XP-Pro.

Last edited:

WhtDrgnGG42

Trotterwatch said:
Some proof would be nice, as it stands I don't believe you at all :)

I will let you know then when Beta testing is starting, since those who are sceptics make better testers than those who truely believe, because you will be looking for errors in the program, others will be just be playing games just to play them.

I would have it working a little sooner, but right now I am having to work two jobs, just to pay the bills.

The sound problem that I am having is that when anytype of bright white light shows up on screen, the sound make a loud staticy sound, just like a scratched CD does when you try to play it.

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

Out of interest, if I may - what are your programming credentials? How are you emulating a complex system such as the PS2, on such low range hardware, and achieving a high compatability rate?

Forgive my sceptism, but I have seen these types of claims made so many times before, and never once have they been true.

I may add, I don't mind being proved wrong, and should I be - I will most humbly apologise.

WhtDrgnGG42

PS2 emulators

Trotterwatch said:
Out of interest, if I may - what are your programming credentials? How are you emulating a complex system such as the PS2, on such low range hardware, and achieving a high compatability rate?

Forgive my sceptism, but I have seen these types of claims made so many times before, and never once have they been true.

I may add, I don't mind being proved wrong, and should I be - I will most humbly apologise.

That is okay, the problem that most programers make is that they will try to make you purchase more RAM or maybe a new CPU just to think that you need that to play there little program. I have been programing since 1989, when I started to learn GW-Basic and Q-Basic. Then I went on to learn PASCAL and Borland's C++. Now I am contributing to a lot of current US games that are being released on the market. I have wroten over 1,800 scripts for use with Neverwinter Nights, I have helped out Square-Enix on the FFX-2, and FFXI US releases. I have helped Commodore create their first self bootable OS, it runs like DOS, but without using a floppy every time you start your comptuer. I also have rewriten several games so that they woun't use up so much memory or even your CPU resources. Most of the games today, can have minimal changes in the coding, and they will run under a low-end machine. Unlike most emulators that only emulate the memory locations, mine will only run under DOS mode, and it converts PS2 memory locations into the accual computer memory locations.

p.s. If you want, I am almost always on the different messaging services when I am home. I also am instantly alerted to when I recieve E-Mails.

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

Under DOS mode? Doesn't that mean no access to APIs such as OpenGL and DirectX.

Regardless, I am not the one to be able to assess whether these claims are true or not. My instinct and knowledge indicates the latter, but I'm not a leading authority on these matters :)

WhtDrgnGG42

PS2 emulators

Trotterwatch said:
Under DOS mode? Doesn't that mean no access to APIs such as OpenGL and DirectX.

Regardless, I am not the one to be able to assess whether these claims are true or not. My instinct and knowledge indicates the latter, but I'm not a leading authority on these matters :)

Under DOS mode, you free up a lot of resources that windows uses, most of which are used by the PSOne and PS2. In my program, I used a little bit of an older program that I used in college, when I recieved my first associates degree, and made it create a pure environment that OpenGL will work under DOS mode. Also, the OpenGL web-site has a source code that you can edit to make any opengl program run under pure DOS mode. This also allows the EMU to run a lot smoother and the mainly used resource FFFFFF...Which a lot of people get errors under, to be free. Windows uses it to make the mouse cursor refresh at 85Mhz, you really only need it to refresh on a 45Mhz speed, like in Windows 95. But in 98SE Microsoft upped the mouse refresh rate because they said that people were complaining that it wasn't moving smooth enough. THe problem with that is a lot of OpenGL games use that resource, and I decided to run under DOS mode to keep this video card resource open. Plus there are a few things that I can do under DOS mode that I don't yet know how to do under Windows. Like creating GUI's, the windows resource locations are different than DOS, and I didn't want to learn the WIndows style of programing GUI's just to make one EMU.

ShadowPrince

Thank you for entertaining posts, WhtDrgnGG42 :)
I especially liked this one :
Most of the games today, can have minimal changes in the coding, and they will run under a low-end machine. Unlike most emulators that only emulate the memory locations, mine will only run under DOS mode, and it converts PS2 memory locations into the accual computer memory locations.

I look forward for Dec 04 release , LOL.

It's impossible to run the consoles of this generation under dos. The N64 is possible because it makes use of a chip similar to the voodoo2 and nearly all effects can be emulated with the dos-3dfx api, but the next gen-consoles are all making use of effects which can't be emulated with the default 3dfx, at least the most effects, so you need a software-renderer like VESA, and that will decrease the performance too much. To get enough memory to load a game, you'll require EMS, and that will also slow it down too much, so forget a PS2-dos emulator!

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
This is one of the least impressive fakes I have seen. Programming under DOS is nearly always harder than programming under Windows (according to your 'experience', your DOS programming days should be long over by now). It's not always faster too.

Your 'emulator' is a hoax. The fact that you'll be asking for real cash soon makes it even less believable. I'll be staying with PCSX2, neutrinoSX2 and the other more believable emulator.

Flash

Technomage
mightyrocket said:
It's impossible to run the consoles of this generation under dos. The N64 is possible because it makes use of a chip similar to the voodoo2 and nearly all effects can be emulated with the dos-3dfx api, but the next gen-consoles are all making use of effects which can't be emulated with the default 3dfx, at least the most effects
1) N64's gfx chip is waaay simplier than voodoo2, if it was v2, n64 gfx
would be like a dreamcast maybe a bit simplier (lack of memory and cpu power), because V2 can run HOTD2 and Crazy Taxi :)
2) anyway there's no Glide3x.ovl (yet...) and voodoo3+ doesn't work very well w/ DOS glide2x... There's also a masochist way of direct hardware programming (write your own API :) )

so you need a software-renderer like VESA, and that will decrease the performance too much. To get enough memory to load a game, you'll require EMS, and that will also slow it down too much, so forget a PS2-dos emulator!

VESA is not a renderer at all :)
and EMS is antique thing from the time of XT dinosaurs... Since 386 XMS is used instead...

Anyway better way to give all system resources to emulator
is to use minimal linux system or QNX

Flash

Technomage
Lillymon said:
This is one of the least impressive fakes I have seen. Programming under DOS is nearly always harder than programming under Windows (according to your 'experience', your DOS programming days should be long over by now). It's not always faster too.
Disk access is many times faster in win32 or *nix systems.

Your 'emulator' is a hoax.
Our worst Nightmare... :D LOL !
The fact that you'll be asking for real cash soon makes it even less believable. I'll be staying with PCSX2, neutrinoSX2 and the other more believable emulator.[/QUOTE]

WhtDrgnGG42

Flash said:
Disk access is many times faster in win32 or *nix systems.

Our worst Nightmare... :D LOL !
The fact that you'll be asking for real cash soon makes it even less believable. I'll be staying with PCSX2, neutrinoSX2 and the other more believable emulator.
[/QUOTE]

I never said that i was asking for cash, but under DOS, you can still use the windows programs, you just have to change the way things look, if you look on the internet, you will find that DOS mode is very capible of things that windows uses, but the only problem is no DX. But I am able to use OpenGL, as they have DOS support resourse codes. Also, I am turning the EMU over to a buddy of mine, as he has more time to make the EMU. I will later post a link to his site once he has it updated with the news on the EMu.

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
WhtDrgnGG42 said:
I never said that i was asking for cash.
WhtDrgnGG42 said:
*hint* It will be shareware, the only problem is that I will require you to find your own bios file.
Ring a bell?

WhtDrgnGG42 said:
Under DOS, you can still use the windows programs, you just have to change the way things look, if you look on the internet, you will find that DOS mode is very capible of things that windows uses, but the only problem is no DX.

Nope. Sorry. DOS lacks a lot of stuff Windows has. That's why everyone started moving to Windows for everything as soon as Windows 95 came out.

I can't tell you exactly what DOS lacks, but a good programmer around here should be able to help

WhtDrgnGG42 said:
But I am able to use OpenGL, as they have DOS support resourse codes. Also, I am turning the EMU over to a buddy of mine, as he has more time to make the EMU. I will later post a link to his site once he has it updated with the news on the EMU.

Oh, so now we've got two geniuses who can do the impossible and program a PS2 emulator that can run extremely fast on a low-end PC and do all of this under DOS no less!!!

Dude, I proved you wrong. Quit with this hoax and stop embaressing yourself.