What's new

GBA Multiplayer

Vchat20

I just got a weird idea. I know you have said that emulating the Multiplayer capabilities of the GBA were impossible, but would it help some way if the emulator slowed down emulation enough that it did not see the lag in the link? It would be bad for gameplay cuz it is slowed, but linking might be possible. what do you think?

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Well, it would slow down pretty bad, but it could be nice for people emulating Ruby/Sapphire (though those people really should just fucking BUY them!)... so they could trade and stuff.

I still say link emulation on the same system should be allowed.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

im just wondering. if people have been able to crakc rom's cant they just hack the gba roms to allow lagged multiplayer? cuz Iwould luv to play these across the net.

Tirog

Banned
i think the visualboyadvance faq says that network support would be easy to implement, but he feels that it would promote too much piracy.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

Tirog said:
i think the visualboyadvance faq says that network support would be easy to implement, but he feels that it would promote too much piracy.

no. its alot more complicated. and im sure alot of other members can back me up on this: the real GBA systems link to each other using a no-lag 0ms link. if it does not have that link, no linking is done. and as you all know, their can never be any 0ms connections anywhere on the net, so playing gba games across the net would be impossible.

Imoto

Game Boy Goddess ;P
And what about LAN? Isn't that possible or I'm just to optimistic?

And about Pokémon: I bought it. But fighting or trading or other things over the Net with Pokémon, Like in the Japanese Version of Pocket Monsters Crystal (Mobile GB System, disconinued since Fall 2001) would by interessting.

May VBA emulate the Mobile GB System for Starters? No? It was just a tought.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

Well, LAN is alot better than the net but still has lag. I think that it could be done if linking 2 emulators on one machine was possible. cuz if you think, there are enough systems out there that can emulate 2 gba's at once, so what is the issue there?

as for the mobile link, ehh, probably only if something similar was done for the gba. I did hear though that bluetooth was planned for the gba but have heard no news on it yet.

Kaoss626

not that I am a programer.... or even have the slightest idea of how to pull it off

but......

how about the emulators are servers.... running on the same machine. the server accepts inputs from client programs running either on the server or remotely (ie on the LAN or internet). This way there is zero lag between the gameboys (try a ping of 127.0.0.1 some time, its the local host or kernal of your OS and the ping had better be 0 ms) any lag is now effectively put between the server and the client so you might see slightly sluggish graphics or your button presses might get a hundred milisecond delay. its not as perfect as running the emulator on the local machine but by the sounds of it might be easier than trying to work around a connection lag.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

LAN=slight lag
localhost=no lag

but nobody has made a gba emu that is able to link to another from the same exact machine. that is what im trying to say.

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
Vchat20 said:
LAN=slight lag
localhost=no lag

but nobody has made a gba emu that is able to link to another from the same exact machine. that is what im trying to say.

yeah that would be better since your both using the same machine (though cheating would be another problem lol)

anyhoo what ever happened to that pokemon mmorpg is it still being developed?

Imoto

Game Boy Goddess ;P
Kaoss626 said:
not that I am a programer.... or even have the slightest idea of how to pull it off

but......

how about the emulators are servers.... running on the same machine. the server accepts inputs from client programs running either on the server or remotely (ie on the LAN or internet). This way there is zero lag between the gameboys (try a ping of 127.0.0.1 some time, its the local host or kernal of your OS and the ping had better be 0 ms) any lag is now effectively put between the server and the client so you might see slightly sluggish graphics or your button presses might get a hundred milisecond delay. its not as perfect as running the emulator on the local machine but by the sounds of it might be easier than trying to work around a connection lag.

For a 2 Player game, the Server runs 2 VBA's in Linkmode, but the Input of the second VBA is taken remotly from an other PC with a VBA-Client.

That's a good one.

For those who want to play Advance Wars in Multi: Just have VBA in a Network saved, or accesible. Both run VBA and the same AW Rom, configurate the settings on one VBA (For the Game) and then beginn play, after one Round, it says: "PLayer 2's Turn" or something. quicksave with [shift]+[F1] and mention it by ICQ, Chat or voice, and the second player quickloads with [F1] and continues playing. (This works also for other Roundbased Multiplayer-Games with Multi on one GBA).

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

jvolel said:
anyhoo what ever happened to that pokemon mmorpg is it still being developed?

well, due to Nintendo being a stupid SOB, they shut down the project. the advertising got a little too out of hand. there is a replacement though. pretty much gonna be the same way as PO but it doesnt deal with pokemon. you can find out more HERE