PDA

View Full Version : Snes emulation

Rich_T
March 24th, 2003, 18:44
Hi all,

Why is there no snes disscusion board?

Whats the bes emulator for the snes ayway?

Thanks

Rich

Clements
March 24th, 2003, 18:50
ZSNESW 1.36 is the best Super Nes emulator. It has excellent graphics (as you can see from my sig :) ), netplay and sound. A new version is coming up too according to pagefault- can't wait!

GuestX
March 25th, 2003, 19:20
BTW: ZSnes - March 16 2003 new site design by Radio :)

conkerman
March 25th, 2003, 23:28
snes9x is pretty good too... it's been a while since i really compared the two, but i think the battle was between snes9x and zsnes
and there probably isnt a discussion board because then there would have to be one for all nintendo consoles...come to think of it, i dont think that that would be such a bad idea
conkerman

Gent
March 25th, 2003, 23:42
Ive never liked ZSNESW.
I have always found it clumsy & nasty in use.

For a nice looking & user friendly Snes i would say Snes9x all the way

smegforbrain
March 26th, 2003, 00:17
I believe I tried Zsnes once, had some problems with it, and never went back.
Snes9x has always worked pretty flawlessly for me.

Doomulation
March 26th, 2003, 08:34
Snes9X and ZSnes are pretty equal. They share imformation and stuff and make improvements to both. For me it's snes9x since zsnes has buggy frameskip (can't live without it :P).

Te only thing that snes9x lacks is actually a good sound core. It crackles sometimes even with sync sound activated.

But anyway, check out those two and pick the one of your choice.

Hexlord
March 26th, 2003, 09:55
It seems that for both emulators, new versions are on track :)

Doomulation
March 26th, 2003, 10:08
Originally posted by Hexlord
It seems that for both emulators, new versions are on track :)
Always :D

ScottJC
March 27th, 2003, 01:43
Frame skip? on a system like yours it shouldn't even need a frame skip, I have zsnes set on 0 frameskip, it runs at perfect speed.

btw my system is considerably slower than yours...

Zsnes will always be my favorite, on another note I think Snes9x's GUI is rubbish. but to each his own.

:blush:

Clements
March 27th, 2003, 03:10
And Snes9x does not have the smoke effect! Seriously, both Snes9x and ZSNES are almost identical graphically, so it comes down to sound, of which ZSNES is far more accurate, and is further improved in the new version according to pagefault.

Also, the network play in Snes9x is buggy and goes out of sync all the time. ZSNES's over the internet is much better even with 56K! I can play my school friends from home! And it doesn't go out of sync!

ZSNES also has screenshot support, while Snes9x doesn't.

Yep, I also disable frameskip- only meant for really slow PCs. The GUI of Snes9x looks like Windows 98 :doh: so I prefer ZSNES's with the afore mentioned smoke effect on, with a filtered 2XSAI GUI.

Doomulation
March 27th, 2003, 10:47
I prefer Snes9x's gui more as the mouse is too sensitive in zsnes and it's annoying. As for the frameskip, i use it to skip certain parts which are too long (enabling a frameskip of 20 frames/s goes incredibly fast :D), i'm impatient so i need it ;) :P

LD.
March 27th, 2003, 15:47
For things like that I have the turbo key mapped to spacebar ;)

I prefer ZSNES. SNES9X's graphics always seems badly stretched, and the sound leaves a lot to be desired. I love the 3Dfx mode though ^_^

Rich_T
March 27th, 2003, 16:55
Thanks for all your suggestions, I will check out both ZSNES and Snes9x.

Thanks

Rich_T

Tagrineth
March 27th, 2003, 20:57
Originally posted by Doomulation
I prefer Snes9x's gui more as the mouse is too sensitive in zsnes and it's annoying. As for the frameskip, i use it to skip certain parts which are too long (enabling a frameskip of 20 frames/s goes incredibly fast :D), i'm impatient so i need it ;) :P

Um... it's stupid to use anything other than Auto-frameskip for normal play. Even the SNES hardware skips frames. :geek:

And for skipping, you DO know that ZSNES invented the 'fast-forward' key? You know, the one where, while you hold it, the frameskip locks at 9 and the game speeds up tremendously? :flowers:

Clements
March 27th, 2003, 21:41
Originally posted by Tagrineth

Um... it's stupid to use anything other than Auto-frameskip for normal play. Even the SNES hardware skips frames. :geek:

When I use auto frame rate I still get constant 60fps with ZSNES. It skips frames based on performance, and as I have a fast enough processor, no skips are needed.
The SNES does skip frames, but a PC does not need to if its fast enough. Skipping frames makes the graphics and sound worse quality. I always aim for the best possible quality, and avoid things like scanlines, frameskip (if I can) and low resolutions.

Anyway, I only see advantages in slowing games down (Helped me in Yoshi's Island to get pixel perfect jumps)

Lillymon
March 27th, 2003, 21:45
I didn't think the SNES ever skipped frames. Normally, if the load is too much for the CPU to handle, the game just slows down.

Clements
March 27th, 2003, 21:48
I prefer Snes9x's gui more as the mouse is too sensitive in zsnes and it's annoying.

Activate 'Joypad 1' in Misc and then GUI options. Now you can use a joypad to control the GUI as well as the mouse (don't need to use the mouse like Snes9x!)

Tagrineth
March 28th, 2003, 01:40
Originally posted by Clements
When I use auto frame rate I still get constant 60fps with ZSNES. It skips frames based on performance, and as I have a fast enough processor, no skips are needed.
The SNES does skip frames, but a PC does not need to if its fast enough. Skipping frames makes the graphics and sound worse quality. I always aim for the best possible quality, and avoid things like scanlines, frameskip (if I can) and low resolutions.

Anyway, I only see advantages in slowing games down (Helped me in Yoshi's Island to get pixel perfect jumps)

Slowing games down = cheating.

Skipping frames doesn't make the graphics and sound worse. SNES uses built in interpolation which includes some form of keyframe work... compare animation fluidity at PC 60fps / Auto Frame Skip with and without Interpolation. (I recommend standard 2xSaI for normal play, with a few notable exceptions like StarFox)

And the sound isn't worse because it's exactly the same. In fact, it's better if you do allow auto frame skip because it plays back exactly how the developer intended... same as the graphics.

Added: OK, I take it back. Auto Frame Rate is what you should use, period, but for a different reason.

Just talked to pagefault about it.

0 frame skip runs *everything* as fast as your system can run it. If it's slow, that means your system is too weak. Auto frame skip will be slower if your system is too fast, and faster if your system is too slow. Neat stuff.

Auto Frame Skip attempts to simulate how 0 frame skip would run on actual SNES hardware :)

pj64er
March 28th, 2003, 02:23
ahh...the old zsnes vs snes9x debate.

well, for me the choice was easy. Back in my old computer, snes9x didnt work for me, zsnes was the only way to go. from that point on, zsnes failed to disappoint me. no reason to even test out snes9x.

ps. only zsnes had a 1.337 version, that won over the :geek: in me

Tagrineth
March 28th, 2003, 02:39
Originally posted by pj64er
ahh...the old zsnes vs snes9x debate.

well, for me the choice was easy. Back in my old computer, snes9x didnt work for me, zsnes was the only way to go. from that point on, zsnes failed to disappoint me. no reason to even test out snes9x.

ps. only zsnes had a 1.337 version, that won over the :geek: in me

Heh, I wonder... did you have the same problem as me?

I used Snes9x at first, until 0.24 "Final" - and in that version, the GUI would always inevitably freeze any time it was loaded, resulting in no games being able to save natively (states sort of worked though). Switched to ZSNES .363 and never looked back. :)

Doomulation
March 28th, 2003, 13:19
Heh, a joypad to contol the pointer?
Well, anyway, i knew about the turbo. But the fact is that snes9x has it too. Just hit & hold the tab button. You can also make the emulator toggle it.

I tend to use frameskip to skip long scenes and stuff which you cannot skip and have no desire to see.

As for the gfx, i always use the supereagle filter :) It covers pretty much the whole screen. I stretch it too, to make it cover the full screen. It doesn't take too much cpu power.

But for zsnes, it seems to have a bug regarding the frameskip. Once you've activated it, it takes forever to disable. At least in the version i tried which was some time ago, not too long, though. And I kinda feel like I like the snes9x gui :P

The standard windows GUI just r0x0rs :D

ScottJC
March 28th, 2003, 14:02
I think you've forgotten about Zsnes's Fast forward key: its either Tab or the one next to 1...

It whizzs past the game you're playing no matter what frameskip you use.

Tagrineth
March 28th, 2003, 16:15
Actually, that isn't true. The fastforward key temporarily sets frameskip to 9, so if you're already in fs9, FF will do nothing at all.

Doom, I've used nearly every version of ZSNES since .363 (I think that was the number, it was .36x though), and I have no idea what you're talking about... just set frameskip up/down to +/- and switch it that way, it's instantaneous. You're probably thinking of having to go into the GUI... hit Config -> Options and choose a frameskip manually. :)

Oh, and again, ZSNES was the first with FF, rewind, movie recording, and SuperFX emulation :)

GuestX
March 28th, 2003, 19:16
Originally posted by The Gentleman
Ive never liked ZSNESW.

And thats a gentleman :P

Doomulation
March 28th, 2003, 19:37
Yep I know that :)
The tab in snes9x does just as zsnes and sets the framerate temporarily to 20 fps (configurable). And this problem happend to me ... i just don't know why, but I lub snes9x :inlove: so i'll stay with it :D

Dogman5
March 30th, 2003, 16:18
I use both, but SNES9X doesent play Super Mario 2 YOSHIS ISLAND!! grrr :doh:

And i dont know how to use ZSnes

I try to go to LOAD and i click on my C:// file directory, and it doesent show anything up, and just brings me back to the main thing!!

Doomulation
March 30th, 2003, 21:32
Snes9X does run smw2 (yoshi's island). In zsnes, it's a kinda silly load dialog. You'll have to click on the folders to get in (double) and .. to get down one step :baaa:

Also, although most bad roms work, it is recommended to get a good dump to play with.

Dogman5
April 2nd, 2003, 02:31
I just got ZSNES working..

WOW. It kicks Snes9x's ASS three times from Sunday. :happy:

I love it! It plays games so much smoother and alot better looking and sounding.

It also plays Yoshis Island, which ^^^ grr ^^^ Snes9x does NOT!! :doh:

Clements
April 2nd, 2003, 02:39
I was going to promptly proove you wrong with a screenshot of Snes9x running it, but since I upgraded to DX 9.0 I get an error message about failing to initialise DX 7. Looks like I'll have to follow Icepir8's advice and get 9.0a...

It does work though! I just can't get the proof yet! None of this matters of course, as you have seen the light of ZSNES!

/me is off to download DX 9.0a!

Clements
April 2nd, 2003, 03:21
Fixed my Direct X problem with 9.0a and as promised, Snes9x 1.39 running Yoshi's Island:

Doomulation
April 2nd, 2003, 08:35
The only real thing snes9x lacks right now is a good sound core :(
The sound crackles and pops sometimes...i really hope it can be fixed in the future...

But it kicks ass already! :D

Tagrineth
April 2nd, 2003, 17:22
The sound crackles and pops sometimes...i really hope it can be fixed in the future...

ZSNES will be first with a working SuperFX3 core (two games use it, one of them was never released). :D

Clements
April 2nd, 2003, 18:01
One of them is Starfox 2 beta... but what's the other?

Talas
April 2nd, 2003, 18:40
What about Dungeon Master? Its not yet emulated on ZSNES. Will it work in the next version? I wonder, because I heard the SNES DM was very good.:phone:

Clements
April 2nd, 2003, 18:44
Dungeon Master uses the DSP-2 chip, which I believe has been worked out, but just needs to be implimented.

Doomulation
April 2nd, 2003, 19:17
Great for them! But you know that the snes9x development team also is working on some chip and some info the zsnes team doesn't?

It's great world that they share, huh? :D

Stez02k
April 2nd, 2003, 20:10

actually mine did that too, but u can change the sound driver, when i did that, it worked exceptional :)

the battle between snes9x and zsnes.....

i prefer snes9X, its the 1st emu i ever used, even though the compatability is a tiny bit lower than zsnes, i still prefer it, has many video options too, i love the openGL :) even supports my old Voodoo 2 :D

Clements
April 2nd, 2003, 20:18
I use them both to tell the truth, side by side sharing save files etc. Anyone tried SNEESE? I've tried it, and it is also coming along too, catching Snes9x with each release. Thought it was worth mentioning as well.

I hope the flickering when talking in Super Mario RPG and the character sprite in Zero the Kamikase Squirrel will be fixed in the new version of Zsnes. They are the only bugs I've found...

pj64er
April 2nd, 2003, 23:52
Originally posted by Tagrineth

ZSNES will be first with a working SuperFX3 core (two games use it, one of them was never released). :D

One of them is Starfox 2 beta... but what's the other?

since, Starfox 2 was never released....are you saying that there was another game using SuperFX3 that actually came out?! Id like to know what the other game is too..must be some crazy jap game...

ScottJC
April 3rd, 2003, 01:05
I would use sneese if there was a windows version.

Clements
April 3rd, 2003, 01:24
There is one as of the latest release, but it looks identical to the DOS version (which also worked on XP)

http://www.emuunlim.com/sneese/files.html

-SNeSeW 0.776 its called.

Clements
April 3rd, 2003, 01:33
Here it is emulating Final Fantasy III:
Not too bad...

Clements
April 3rd, 2003, 01:36
And an in-game bit for good measure:
Impressive.

Lillymon
April 3rd, 2003, 06:37
SNEeSe worked for me under Windows XP, but with terrible sound (yes, even with VDMSound) and a weird control problem (controls became progressively less responsive as time passed).

SNEeSeW has neither of these problems.

This now means that all five active SNES emulators (ZSNES (http://www.zsnes.com/), Snes9x (http://www.snes9x.com), SNESGT (http://gigo.retrogames.com), SNEeSe (http://www.emuunlim.com/sneese/) and SNem (http://www.geocities.com/tommowalker/)) all have native Windows versions.

Allnatural
April 3rd, 2003, 07:55
...and the character sprite in Zero the Kamikase Squirrel will be fixed in the new version of Zsnes.
Disable the New Graphics Engine.

Doomulation
April 3rd, 2003, 08:07
Here it is emulating Final Fantasy III:
Not too bad...
/me slaps Clements
It's Final Fantasy VI (!) FF3 was for nes methinks...

I've also tried changing the sound (of course :P), it works very good except a little crackling sometimes due to the bad sound core.

Oh and in snes9x, there is no flickering in super mario rpg ;)
:flowers: for ZSnes, though, who should fix it in the next version :D

Clements
April 3rd, 2003, 16:25
Thanks Allnatural, works like a charm now.

Yes Final Fantasy III is for the NES if you live in Japan. I used the US Version which they changed from VI to III, as II (NES), III (NES), and V (SNES) were not released in the US, just I (NES) and II (SNES). Hmm, confusing!

Stezo2k
April 4th, 2003, 00:53
nah its just the way you said it :P

FF2 (Jap version) = FF2
FF2 (Usa) = FF4
FF3 (Jap version) = FF3
FF3 (Usa) = FF6

Thats the only confusion, just FF2 & FF3, but i couldnt put it more simple than that :geek:

julbingo
April 4th, 2003, 11:53
Can someone help me with NHL 94 in ZSNES??

The problem I have is that some sounds seems to be gone. For example these:

* The horn that announces end of period
* The horn that announces a goal!
* The crowd sound "awww" when a shot is close to goal.

When these sounds are supposed to sound, i hear nothing! I know the ROM is good since it works in Snes9x, but I have a few general problems with that emulator. So I would like to get it to work in ZSNES...

I have tried many different combinations in the sound options, but no improvement.

Can someone help me out here? Have you guys tried NHL 94 in ZSNES??

Stezo2k
April 4th, 2003, 12:57
You could always try an older/newer zsnes, some games work better in older zsnes versions, e.g the starfox 2 beta works in an older version. If not try it in snes9x with the bugs, or just use a different emulator

Doomulation
April 4th, 2003, 13:24
Thanks Allnatural, works like a charm now.

Yes Final Fantasy III is for the NES if you live in Japan. I used the US Version which they changed from VI to III, as II (NES), III (NES), and V (SNES) were not released in the US, just I (NES) and II (SNES). Hmm, confusing!
Yes, curse those bloody americans for doing that :saint:
Square quickly fixed the titles when they noticed it, though. But it still lives... :doh:

To sum it up,
FF1 (NES), USA & JAP
FF2 (NES), JAP, USA = 4
FF3 (NES), JAP, USA = 6
FF4 (SNES), JAP, USA = 2
FF5 (SNES), JAP only
FF6 (SNES), JAP, USA = 3
FF7 (PSX/PC), JAP & USA
FF8 (PSX/PC), JAP & USA
FF9 (PSX), JAP & USA
FF10 (PS2), JAP & USA
FF11 (PS2) - this...is released in USA yet? I think it's release in JAP.

Tagrineth
April 4th, 2003, 19:43
FF2 (NES), JAP, USA = 4
FF3 (NES), JAP, USA = 6

Uh... what?

FF2 and 3 aren't out anywhere other than Japan.

FF2 is about to get the PSX treatment, in the US and Europe as well (FF:Origins), and it's listed as Final Fantasy II in the game. FF3 still isn't on the release radar.

Thankfully Square remade FF6 and FF4 for the PSX, to use the REAL numbers... :)

Doomulation
April 4th, 2003, 22:53
Yes, thankfully they did.
What I mean above...it's true that FF2 & 3 was never released outside of japan. So, FF4 was named FF2 in usa, and FF6 was named FF3.

That's what I was saying.

Clements
April 13th, 2003, 01:28
Great for them! But you know that the snes9x development team also is working on some chip and some info the zsnes team doesn't?

It's great world that they share, huh? :D

I believe the two teams have worked and cooperated together for a long time, sharing bits of code here and there. Thats why the two emulators are so similar in terms of features.

Anyhoo, might as well mention that ZSNES WIP 04.11 has been released and features even more improvements like better 48KHz sound, graphics fixes, is faster, and better code for the SPC7110 and SDD-1 chips. Go get this at:

http://ipher.znes.net/

Doomulation
April 13th, 2003, 05:40
Strange that the official site doesn't have any update, though....
Still no news about snes9x...can't be arsed to check the messageboard, it still probably won't contain any release info :P
Just their all-time day working on those chips :linux:

Clements
April 13th, 2003, 05:46
Its weird that the SNES had game enhancing chips in the game paks but the N64 did not AFAIK.

The latest supported version of Snes9x is Snes9x 1.39MK3B and can be obtained here:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/ackadia/snes9x/S9x1.39mk.zip

Tagrineth
April 13th, 2003, 10:35
Its weird that the SNES had game enhancing chips in the game paks but the N64 did not AFAIK.

IIRC SNES's cartridge slot was designed with expansion in mind (especially makes sense considering one launch - or near-launch - game, Super Mario Kart, made by Nintendo, used an expansion chip), whereas I suppose with N64 they decided that it'd be cheaper to go with a non-expandable system, since it was 'powerful enough anyway', which is true, except for the incredibly stupid DRDRAM interface.

scotty
April 14th, 2003, 10:08
I use Snes9x for emulation. Although they are both really good emulators.
Snes 9x:
the sound is not choppy for me(except Clay Fighter)
Compatible with every game I have played (except Star Ocean)
Able to play games when they are compressed into .zip format

ZSNES: what is better than Snes9x
Windows version does not work for me, but DOS does

Graphics are sharper
Use of the Lethal Enforcers Gun
(with windows) Zbattle.net, a toll that I think is very important to any emulator, to have an online gaming server for the emulator because Kalliera sucks, and I can play people other than my friends that use emulation devices.

Both of them are fast, both of them are great, Both of them are better than the rest.

Clements
April 14th, 2003, 10:23
Star Ocean works with Snes9x believe it or not.

Probable cause: You cannot have the graphics pack and rom in the same directory as the Snes9x emulator. This is the only issue I've found specific to Snes9x.

Edit: This problem was fixed in V. 1.39MK3B though- just checked

Sound is really messed though, so I use ZSNES- sound is perfect.

Clements
April 14th, 2003, 12:26
ZSNES WIP 04.13 Released:

Added Nach's chip detection code (Pagefault)
Updated windows sound code (Pagefault)
Fixed bug when sound was disabled and continued to play (Pagefault)

Doomulation
April 14th, 2003, 17:56
So many zsnes release, but no snes9x :cry:
Oh and btw, the gfx is just as sharp on snes9x as on zsnes if you use the right output. Eg, supereagle mode.

Clements
April 14th, 2003, 22:01
I use 2XSAI for both, and yes they look the same. There have been no major Snes9x updates bcause the main coder, Gary Henderson has gone missing!

ZSnes is still going strong with pagefault still working on it.

ScottJC
April 15th, 2003, 02:21
with snes9x if i use the 2xsai filters it is very slow... Zsnes runs at full speed easily and sounds better. You know your comments about Super Mario RPG Doom, well, snes9x doesn't do the sound correctly, and zsnes doesn't do the video correctly

when mario hits enemys with a mallet its not supposed to sound like a "ping"... :P

Clements
April 15th, 2003, 02:48
-Sound: ZSnes is better no doubt.

-Display: Same, but I believe ZSnes supports higher resolutions (?) and is faster on slower computers when fullscreen

-Netplay: ZSnes is better as it isn't buggy and you can do it over a modem etc.

-GUI: Who cares about this! Its the emulation quality that counts for me :) Draw.

-Portability: Hmm, Snes9x is ported to many more OS's like Mac, Linux...

-Save States: Its easier to have loads of these with Snes9x.

I declare a narrow victory to ZSnes 3-2! :happy:

Talas
April 15th, 2003, 07:37
One question about all those ZSNES WIP News. Are they worth a download? Why arent they on the normal ZSNES page? Has anyone tested them? Anything become worse with it?

Stezo2k
April 15th, 2003, 07:57
-Sound: ZSnes is better no doubt.

-Display: Same, but I believe ZSnes supports higher resolutions (?) and is faster on slower computers when fullscreen

-Netplay: ZSnes is better as it isn't buggy and you can do it over a modem etc.

-GUI: Who cares about this! Its the emulation quality that counts for me :) Draw.

-Portability: Hmm, Snes9x is ported to many more OS's like Mac, Linux...

-Save States: Its easier to have loads of these with Snes9x.

I declare a narrow victory to ZSnes 3-2! :happy:

1. Display - well snes 9x has high resolutions too, can go up to 1200+
Draw

2. Netplay - dont understand how to use the bugga on both
Draw

3. GUI, think the zsnes one is kinda dull, snes9x is a bit basic
Draw

4. Portability

Goes to Snes9x, zsnes is 100% asm

5. Save States
Snes 9x, its easy

6. Speed
Ok Zsnes wins this one, but who cares about speed with our pcs?

As for sound, snes9x likes to enhance the sound, whereas zsnes likes to keep it the way it is, Draw, Overall these emus are pretty equal

Clements
April 15th, 2003, 08:02
I've been downloading them, and they are excellent. Only one problem is that the png screensot function is broken (that's it) With the latest WIP, you get excellent sound quality (48kHz) and improved speed among other tweaks. Worth a download. A new WIP is released regularly, and I've seen steady improvements.

Stezo2k
April 15th, 2003, 08:27
nice, i'd probably use it, but i aint really into emulation at the moment heh, znes has progessed quite a lot

ScottJC
April 15th, 2003, 18:11
6. Speed

Well 1.2ghz must not be enough then because my pc rolls over and dies if it trys to do Snes9x with the same filters as zsnes, i love playing a game at 15fps ;)

One thing though, Zsnes does win with sound, thats no draw...

Doomulation
April 15th, 2003, 19:14
Originally posted by Sayargh
Well 1.2ghz must not be enough then because my pc rolls over and dies if it trys to do Snes9x with the same filters as zsnes, i love playing a game at 15fps ;)

One thing though, Zsnes does win with sound, thats no draw...
Ok, let's sum it up :D
First off, snes9x's sound isn't bad. It just has a little sync problem sometimes.
It isn't really slow, either. Use SuperEagle or whatever but don't stretch it at high resolution or it WILL get slow!

1. Display - well snes 9x has high resolutions too, can go up to 1200+
Draw
Snes9X and ZSnes has about equal gfx. Draw.

2. Netplay - dont understand how to use the bugga on both
Draw
ZSnes's netplay is indeed better. But I rarely use it anyway so...
Point for ZSnes.

3. GUI, think the zsnes one is kinda dull, snes9x is a bit basic
Draw
ZSnes has an annoying gui imo. Snes9x's gui is just standard windows and is no sweat.
Draw.

4. Portability

Goes to Snes9x, zsnes is 100% asm
Agreed. Point to Snes9X.

5. Save States
Snes 9x, its easy
Lot easier on snes9x. Yup, point of Snes9x.

6. Speed
ZSnes is a little faster than snes9x to what i've seen, but it's faster...yet, i don't care about speed on my ultra-1337-super-fast computer :D
Point to ZSnes.

On the other hand, there are other annoying things, like the mouse sensitivity and some bugs which makes me prefer snes9x more. And to that, snes9x can import zsnes states :D
Point to Snes9X

Wow, draw! :satisfied

Clements
April 16th, 2003, 03:44
I agree with Doom for once! But I don't take those areas as equal, I put them in this order:

1. Video (of course)
2. Sound (almost as important)
3. Netplay (a great feature but not essential)
4. GUI (got to be simple like Snes9x, but got to be nice looking like ZSnes)
5. Speed (my comp can handle both easily, so less important for me)
6. Portability (got to feel for non-windows users! Doesn't apply to me)
7. Save states (rarely if ever use them, they ruin most games if overused)

...and ZSnes won two out of the top three aspects according to Doom, explaining my ZSNES choice.

Anyone who doesn't understand ZSnes Netplay obviously hasn't got zBattle.net, from www.zBattle.net makes it so so easy, no IP addresses or nothing, just join a game similar to online PC gaming. You cannot do this with Snes9x!

If you know anything about me, you know that I like to test to the absolute death, and I have the very latest of both emulators, and I must admit that Snes9x is approaching ZSnes fast, with the sound being finally at the right pitch. :)

This is a difficult issue! Just go with any. I made my choice, I started with Snes9x (when I first started emulation!) and moved on to ZSnes when I started to 'know things'

Oh, ZSNES WIP April 14 has been released.
You know the drill:

Vchat20
April 16th, 2003, 06:02
Really, Speed is not a problem at all with ZSNES IMO. cuz I can play it all options on at 60fps on my 333MHz machine. I have not yet tried SNES9x yet, but I might soon.

Stezo2k
April 16th, 2003, 06:07
yeah on my old 333, Snes 9x worked gr8, it didnt as so well without using my voodoo2, but when i used it, it had no slowdowns at all :)

Vchat20
April 16th, 2003, 06:10
my full specs (atleast what matters for emulation):

333MHZ Celeron
160MB RAM
onboard ATI graphics (nothing extra special)
onboard soundblaster audio (same as above)

Stezo2k
April 16th, 2003, 08:00
sounds exactly like my old packard bell celeron pc, but with extra ram, worked snes9x quite well so u shouldnt have many probs

scotty
April 16th, 2003, 11:23
the Windows Version of ZSNES still after all this time still gives me a black screen when i open it, I have DirectX9.0, and am using a 32 bit desktop, and all the help I get in most forums never seems to work, has there ever been a perfection.

I think ZSNES works welll in DOS, but I like Windows better because I can shut it off better and faster. I also can use zbattle.net, something I really want to use someday.

Clements
April 16th, 2003, 12:43
Have you tried deleting ZSnes, then redownloading it? That usually works. How about trying the latest WIP to see if that works. Don't give up hope! There is no reason why it shouldn't work (esp. as it can run on a 200MHz machine with a 4MB graphics card)

ScottJC
April 17th, 2003, 10:45
Zsnes doesn't work on 32bit desktops, but if it goes full screen it will switch to 16bit... If you're running it desktoped like gens you will need to have it on 16bit.

Doomulation
April 18th, 2003, 03:52
that sucks

Clements
April 18th, 2003, 04:00
Originally posted by Sayargh
Zsnes doesn't work on 32bit desktops, but if it goes full screen it will switch to 16bit... If you're running it desktoped like gens you will need to have it on 16bit.

I never change my colour for anything ever, always 32-bit. How do you explain the following screenshot of windowed ZSnes working on a 32-Bit desktop? :baaa:

Anyway, ZSnes WIP 04.16 was released!

Tagrineth
April 18th, 2003, 06:28
Mmm... yeah, you CAN run ZSNES on a 32-bit desktop, however the graphics filters CANNOT work under any circumstances in 32-bit.

Edit: Added: Have to point out, though, that unless Snes9x does some really spiffy (and probably hellishly slow) hacking, it can't do graphics filters in a 32-bit window either - with the exception of its OpenGL mode or whatever.

Clements
April 18th, 2003, 11:44
ZSnes WIP 04.17 is released!

Go to:

scotty
April 19th, 2003, 06:06
Have you tried deleting ZSnes, then redownloading it? That usually works. How about trying the latest WIP to see if that works. Don't give up hope! There is no reason why it shouldn't work (esp. as it can run on a 200MHz machine with a 4MB graphics card)

do you just mean the application, or all the CFG files that come with it

scotty
April 19th, 2003, 06:09
could there also be another problem, like the size setting. I use 512x448 R WIN, would there be a preferred setting, or some configuration that might be doing this, I hear the black screen does this to a lot of people, yet many still use ZSNES. Could my graphics card be doing something, or is there something I didnt read that I had to do

Clements
April 19th, 2003, 06:15
I mean absolutely everything, all files ZSnes files and start afresh. I believe that ZSnes makes no registry entries (like Snes9x does), so a new download will be like installation for the first time. I can't see why that couldn't fix the problem (esp. if it was working previously at any point)

scotty
April 19th, 2003, 06:45
ZSNES for windows has never worked for me, DOS works but with no sound. That is why I have continued to use SNES9X all this time

scotty
April 19th, 2003, 06:47
I mean absolutely everything, all files ZSnes files and start afresh. I believe that ZSnes makes no registry entries (like Snes9x does), so a new download will be like installation for the first time. I can't see why that couldn't fix the problem (esp. if it was working previously at any point)

I find it weird that the CFG file does not appear until after I first open ZSNES, It would be logical to have it in the .zip file in the first place, should it not. I thought that was a registry entry

Tagrineth
April 19th, 2003, 08:33
Originally posted by scotty
could there also be another problem, like the size setting. I use 512x448 R WIN, would there be a preferred setting, or some configuration that might be doing this, I hear the black screen does this to a lot of people, yet many still use ZSNES. Could my graphics card be doing something, or is there something I didnt read that I had to do

640x480 is the most optimal resolution.

I find it weird that the CFG file does not appear until after I first open ZSNES, It would be logical to have it in the .zip file in the first place, should it not. I thought that was a registry entry

Saves on download size.

ZSNES uses exactly zero registry entries; every thing is stored in the CFG file. If you don't want to re-download the whole thing just delete the CFG :) The idea is, the CFG gets created by the ZSNES executable with default variables if one isn't detected. Then, anything you change in the GUI simply changes vars in the config file. Simple enough, right? :)

Trotterwatch
April 19th, 2003, 09:32
Anyone here played Super Mario RPG on the Snes? Been playing it on ZSNes but have noticed a problem - only just started it and so am only in the Mushroom village. However whenever I talked to someone the text boxes have visible distortion around them (kind of like a flickering effect) for a second or so.

It's kinda annoying, tried the latest version of ZSnes as well as an older version both with the same problem. I have also used many different display modes, and disabled the new graphics engine all to no avail.

Anyone here know how to fix this minor though highly irritating bug? I'm off to download Snes9X to see if that fixes it.

Clements
April 19th, 2003, 09:48
Yep, Trotterwatch, it is a bug in ZSnes. The screen flickers when you talk to people in Mushroom Town. This doesn't occur in Snes9x.

Also (although not a bug as such but annoys) when objects move into and out of the screen (eg. the Nintendo Logo in Killer Instinct and many others) it is not filtered in ZSnes whereas in Snes9x these effects are filtered.

I hope these get fixed at some point.

Trotterwatch
April 19th, 2003, 09:52
Thanks for the confirmation that this is indeed a bug. So this will only happen in Mushroom Town, if so then I will probably just continue playing it in ZSNes.

Just tried playing it in the latest version of Snes9x - set everything up and loaded in one of my ZSNes savestates, the result was it loaded fine, but Mario wouldn't move (my controls work fine in all other games though).

Clements
April 19th, 2003, 10:06
The bug is hard to show in screenshots, but you can see a thin bit of garbled graphics above the text box where it flickers.

Modem
April 19th, 2003, 11:07
I personally don't "prefer" any of them. I like both, because I've been using them for years, and one that is bad with a game, the other might be better. There are pros and cons to both of them.

Clements
April 19th, 2003, 11:23
On my computer is an unsolvable problem where Snes9x keeps asking for a CD everytime I pick load Rom. If I press continue, I can go on normally however. This is such an annoying problem!

I deleted the Snes9x registry many times as well as all my Snes9x files and the message still appears after a reinstall. That was the last straw for me. I could cope with the crackly sound and lack of workable netplay, but I can't cope with this persistant problem. (!)

ScottJC
April 19th, 2003, 11:38
thats because you're playing your games from a cd rom, and the emulator saved your rom dir from the cd rom, and it detects the cd rom is not there so windows throws a fit;

the only way to get rid of it is to either A: put a cd rom in your cdrom drive or B: Wipe out the setting snes9x uses that points to the cdrom,

The reason i know this is because i've had this problem with Gens :P

Clements
April 19th, 2003, 12:28
Looks like I'm going to have to leave a CD-ROM in the drive! I think I can just about live with the message... well, at least I can still use the emulator :)

Vchat20
April 19th, 2003, 13:24
hmm. I have Super Mario RPG and have played it and even beaten it. never had a single bug. not even minor bugs. one of those perfectly made roms.

Clements
April 19th, 2003, 23:16
Originally posted by Vchat20
hmm. I have Super Mario RPG and have played it and even beaten it. never had a single bug. not even minor bugs. one of those perfectly made roms.

There are definitely no bugs in Snes9x for this game.

scotty
April 20th, 2003, 01:16
the only 2 bugs I have found in snes9x is in Clay Fighter, and with Star Ocean.

Clements
April 20th, 2003, 01:27
Star Oean bug? Where is that? Can you post a screenshot if its a graphics problem?

Talas
April 20th, 2003, 02:36
Ok ok, this doesnt REALLY belong into this thread but I really am wondering what happenend and this thread is rather lively.

I just installed zbattle from zbattle.net. There was no problem with the installation and so I proceeded, starting the program, entering my nickname and providing the path where the executable for ZSNES is and BAM! "You are banned!"

Well, I had read on the site that many people got banned and that those should take a look at the forum, so I wanted to take a look at the forum and BAM "You are banned from this forum". Hello??? What happenend? :doh: Anyone here who can help? I wrote the admin an email but that may take some time.

Clements
April 20th, 2003, 02:44
I hear that a number of people have been accidently banned. The admin should be able to reinstate you though. You can still play online as long as you know your opponents IP, and you can organise this using Windows/MSN or similar type messenger program (exchange games and IPs via it) Of course, its easier with zBattle.net.

Doomulation
April 20th, 2003, 03:58
Wow, longest thread for snes ever! ;) :emutalk:
This "can't move" thing also seem to happen on the n64 when 1964 loads a pj state...the thing would be best to use a native save...wonder why it happens, though.

And I've beaten super mario rpg too in snes9x of course, and now i really know there's no bugs ;) i didn't see any either to what i can remember.

Trotterwatch
April 20th, 2003, 04:12
I love Super Mario RPG - it has good gameplay, and humour that actually works :) I think I'll continue playing on with ZSNes, apart from the occasionally text glitch and disappearing sprites when you first enter certain shops (for about 1 sec), it isn't too bad.

I tried loading a native save into Snes9x earlier and it never shown up (just showed up as blank), just retried it and it works fine.

scotty
April 20th, 2003, 08:17
yes it is a really long thread, that is why I purposefully started a fresh one, I know that SNES emulation rules and is very popular.
As long as there is one thread that isnt for SNES emulation, then they should be, I wonder if the administrators would see this so they can creat one on just SNES emulation, they have one for Jnes, why not have one for ZSNES and SNES9X??????

DuDe
April 20th, 2003, 08:22
Originally posted by scotty

they have one for Jnes, why not have one for ZSNES and SNES9X??????
Because the author of Jnes is Jabo, and we host his site. We don't host SNES9X or ZSNES, so opening a forum for those emulators is rather useless. You should also consider the fact that we can't provide the same amount of support for those emulators that their official forums provide. The "Other Emulation Forum" is quite enough.

Clements
April 20th, 2003, 09:00
You can join the forums at Snes9x.com (I did) and if you have problems you can post there.

Tagrineth
April 21st, 2003, 07:05
Also (although not a bug as such but annoys) when objects move into and out of the screen (eg. the Nintendo Logo in Killer Instinct and many others) it is not filtered in ZSnes whereas in Snes9x these effects are filtered.

Turn off hi-res mode 7 if you want EVERYTHING filtered.

HRM7 makes it so any time Mode7 is used, the system runs the M7 plane at full res (defaults to quarter res), but filters have to turn off because there aren't enough pixels to use them - same as games that natively use full res :)

Clements
April 21st, 2003, 07:30
I didn't have the option on! In fact, High Resolution mode 7 only appeared as an option when I disabled Triple Buffering. With the High Resolution mode 7 option on or off, the Killer Instinct Nintendo logo is still unfiltered whilst moving, unlike Snes9x where its filtered wherever it is. The mode 7 planes are filtered with the option off like the map in ToP when the option is off. Another example of this is at the beginning of The Legend of the Mystical Ninja, zooming in on the house- unfiltered in ZSnes with High Resolution mode 7 on or off, but filtered all the way in Snes9x.

Clements
April 21st, 2003, 07:33
Mystical Ninja in ZSnes, High Resolution Mode 7 off:

Clements
April 21st, 2003, 07:34
And in Snes9x it is filtered:

Tagrineth
April 21st, 2003, 10:27
...what resolution are you running at? And which filter are you using in ZSNES and Snes9x?

Clements
April 21st, 2003, 10:40
2XSAI for both. I found out though that Snes9x does not in fact filter the effect, but a nVidia graphics card automatically filters it.

http://www.snes9x.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7328

Even if you turn the filters off in Snes9x, they are still filtered by my graphics card and it looks the same as with a filter on.

ZSnes I believe does not do this, so hardware filters cannot be used. I hope the Snes9x team can help the ZSnes team to implement this simple feature.

Tagrineth
April 21st, 2003, 11:46
2XSAI for both. I found out though that Snes9x does not in fact filter the effect, but a nVidia graphics card automatically filters it.

http://www.snes9x.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7328

Even if you turn the filters off in Snes9x, they are still filtered by my graphics card and it looks the same as with a filter on.

ZSnes I believe does not do this, so hardware filters cannot be used. I hope the Snes9x team can help the ZSnes team to implement this simple feature.

Ah, right.

Well... hmm, ZSNES's filters are post-filters on the output, so if they aren't working, then that's really weird. I'll ask pf later.

scotty
April 21st, 2003, 13:15
SNES9X probably will not help out ZSNES, Gary Henderson helped out ZSknight with the development of the core of ZSNES. Gary Henderson would probably have made his emulator better by now if he had not gone missing.

Gary Henderson Where are you???
If you are hiding, we are waiting for you to come out of the dark

Tagrineth
April 22nd, 2003, 03:40
Scotty, uh... riiiiiiiight... o.O;

Clements: pf has no idea how it's possible that you aren't getting filtering in those scenes. Also he has absolutely no idea how it's possible the Hi-Res Mode 7 option would disappear when you select Triple-Buffering. He wants you to connect to

Clements
April 22nd, 2003, 07:50
I found out that the High Resolution Mode 7 option doesn't work with triple buffering enabled in the Old Graphics engine (I had this accidently enabled, not the case with the New Graphics engine however) I've tried fiddling with all the settings including all resolutions, S, DS, DR etc and High Resolution mode 7 on and off, and I can't get the zooming effects filtered like Snes9x. Am I the only one with this problem? I get the same problem on my old PC as well.

Another game affected is Super Bomberman 3 at the victory screen. In Zsnes it's not filtered (2XSAI on, HRM7 disabled):

Clements
April 22nd, 2003, 07:53
And Snes9x has it filtered somehow (2XSAI on):

Doomulation
April 22nd, 2003, 07:56
Did you know that snes9x's opengl mode makes the gfx even smoother? Try it!

Tagrineth
April 22nd, 2003, 17:22
Another game affected is Super Bomberman 3 at the victory screen. In Zsnes it's not filtered (2XSAI on, HRM7 disabled):

Actually, it is filtered, but the angles are REALLY weird and cause the 2xSaI engine to freak out.

Jimbot
April 23rd, 2003, 12:18
the fast forward is something i wish i had for pj64.

btw, do any n64 emu's have that? sorry to be off topic, but it seems his question has been answered.

Clements
April 23rd, 2003, 12:27
Turning off the fps limiter is one way of doing it.

Jimbot
April 23rd, 2003, 13:43
ya.. i know that... ok thanks

Doomulation
April 24th, 2003, 03:17
Changing counter-factor is one :saint:

Clements
April 27th, 2003, 11:11
ZSNES WIP 04.24 has been released!

Removed King of Rally Hack it is no longer needed (Pagefault)
Better interleaved detection (Pagefault)

ipher has relocated to:

http://ipher.znes.org/zsnes/

Edit: Warning: My initial tests show it to be a bit buggy (cannot change video mode with GUI)

Edit 2: You have to manually alter the CFG file to change video modes.

Edit 3: Found that the problem has spread to all my versions of ZSNES and after a system restore it hadn't changed. Now I can't change video modes in any version of ZSNES and even if I redownload them the problem persists.

Jimbot
April 28th, 2003, 12:42
so what exactly are you saying? Is it buggy or not, and how does it effect your system.

I think when you installed it, you probably wrote over the old application extentions that had to do with zsnes, so it transferred to the new ones.

Thirdly... Should i download it, or is it not that big of a release?

Doomulation
April 28th, 2003, 19:45
Go look at the changes! It's the easiest way!

ScottJC
April 29th, 2003, 00:36
ZSNES WIP 04.24 has been released!

ipher has relocated to:

http://ipher.znes.org/zsnes/

Edit: Warning: My initial tests show it to be a bit buggy (cannot change video mode with GUI)

Edit 2: You have to manually alter the CFG file to change video modes.

Edit 3: Found that the problem has spread to all my versions of ZSNES and after a system restore it hadn't changed. Now I can't change video modes in any version of ZSNES and even if I redownload them the problem persists.

I doubt that was caused by your Zsnes Wip, because Zsnes stores all its configuation locally... theres no way in hell it could affect another zsnes if its running in a seperate dir...

on that note delete zsnesw.cfg

and all settings are reverted to default.

Clements
April 29th, 2003, 00:47
Thanks, I can switch video modes with the GUI in 1.36 again :) I panic too much when things go wrong with my own computer!

Edit: And now the WIP works fine too! Great!

scotty
April 30th, 2003, 09:26
ZSNES works fine, on many peoples computers, but mine. It appears that I am still stuck in the Void.
I might be speculating this, but perhaps Windows ME is why this is happening in the first place, cause it sucks. My brothers computer is not really as great as mine is, but yet he can run ZSNES perfectly.
Ill just have to be happy with the DOS version until ipher gets better compatibility with Windows ME

Somto
June 4th, 2004, 01:56
hey all please i need help...Each time i play an online snes game using zsnes, it keeps going out and sync and me and the other player end up doin different things....i'd be really glad if i can get help.....thanks you
Bye
PLEASE PM ME!!!!!!!!!!THANKS