What's new

glNintendo64() v0.4 high-res framebuffer emulation

Orkin

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R
Recently I've been working on frame buffer emulation that works without transferring the frame buffer back and forth between the system RAM and video RAM. This results in much better speed, and allows me to leave the resolution in the plugin's resolution instead of scaling it down to the N64's level. It also allows me to better emulate the N64's flipping abilities (i.e. the Paper Mario flicker is gone now).

There are some downsides to this method though, for one thing I can't make it nearly as complete as regular frame buffer emulation (for instance, I can't emulate the CPU modifying the frame buffer), but it should work nicely with many games. The other downside is that this method takes quite a bit more memory since it uses much larger textures.

I plan on including this feature in the next v0.4 release of glN64(), which I plan on releasing as soon as I get all the bugs worked out (the frame buffer textures seem to be corrupting the regular textures sometimes).

Here are a few shots of the hardware frame buffer textures in Zelda: OoT.

jack

Wow, those shots look incredible. As I've said before, your plugin may very well surpass Jabo at the rate you're going. Keep up the good work Orkin and good luck.

WOW! That's the first what I tought when I saw this screenshots. This has really an idiot high quality which is never created before in ANY plugin! I hope I'll see your result fast!

Slougi

mightyrocket said:
WOW! That's the first what I tought when I saw this screenshots. This has really an idiot high quality which is never created before in ANY plugin! I hope I'll see your result fast!
ditto :) And I hope a linux port will be here soon ;)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Slougi said:
ditto :) And I hope a linux port will be here soon ;)
Oh ya, as you know, blight's trying to port it :D maybe this will be easier to port later when it works :)
This is amazing, though! Framebuffer support is great!
Maybe now you could try figure out how the n64 does the zelda mm motion blur :D (heh, well if you want to, i'm not saying you have to ;) ).

Rice

Emulator Developer
The feature is great.

Do we need very good video card to support it? How is the speed for Banjo, and for Mario Kart?

DJ_Night

impressive work mr. Orkin, great work on implementing the advanced 2xSaI engine in to the plugin, nice idea about the new frame buffer emulation, looks great. keep up the good work.

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
Awesome, simply fuxing awesome. And just like Rice said, I wonder how good a card we need to properly run games with this sweet, sweet plugin.

now, onto business...

/me get on his knees

please, please add proper support for Radeons, Im feeling really left out with the quality difference between Radeons and Geforces :cry:

linker

Emutalk Member
mesman00 said:
a tit of topic, hey linker, you ever get any farther on your openGL plugin.

hey mesman.. nah, i worked ~ 2 weeks after releasing my first public beta and then closed the project due lack of time + lazyness (awful combination :)). I hope that I'll be able to continue it some day.