What's new

Software Render Plugins?

Turtleneck

Freelance Cartoonist
Are there any plugins that render software graphics only? I only have a 2-D graphics card, so I need one.

Trotterwatch

Nemu has a very primitive one I believe - but seriously I'd give up on the idea of N64 Emulation for now if I were you, as you won't have much joy without a 3D Accelerator.

PSX Emulation is a lot more viable for you.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
That reminds me those guys who are mailing me sometimes to ask me to port mupen64 to DOS... Soon they'll ask us to write a n64 emu for a nes lol :D

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Lmao! For nes...funny.
Anyway, if it'd be made software only, do you think your comp would be able to handle it? What speed is it, 100 mhz?
I can't much better computer without 3d accelerators...

I still know I tried to run SupraHLE on my father's computer (p166, 32 mb ram, win98, s3 trio 1 mb), and boost wrapper did work......... Very slowly......... I waited for about 4 minutes before i could start the game (corn didn't work, so I tried the 2nd fast emu) :p .

Flash

Technomage
Turtleneck said:
Are there any plugins that render software graphics only? I only have a 2-D graphics card, so I need one.

Well... You will need at least 2.5Ghz machine for software emulation.
For PSX emu you'll need 500MHz machine w/ 3D accelerator and 1300Mhz w/o (for "heavy"games like FF8, Gran Turismo)

Just buy second hand video (TNT2U or Voodoo3 ($10-15) is enough for most games)

Gorxon

Administrator
Turtleneck said:

Well, as said before you would need an absurd fast CPU to get decent framerates..if you just want to check it out however, go to the download section here at EmuTalk and grab Nemu 0.7a. In Nemu you select Software Rendering in the video options and you're set :)

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Re: Re: Software Render Plugins?

Flash said:

Well... You will need at least 2.5Ghz machine for software emulation.
For PSX emu you'll need 500MHz machine w/ 3D accelerator and 1300Mhz w/o (for "heavy"games like FF8, Gran Turismo)

Just buy second hand video (TNT2U or Voodoo3 ($10-15) is enough for most games)

Wrong! PSX emulation requires only 500 mhz for the
most demanding PSX games, such as
Final Fantasy VIII . Even at 900 mhz, most Nintendo 64 games
with Project64 play at very good speeds with a GeForce and
Direct3D.

Even 2.5 ghz don't matter much for software emulation.
Probally still be slow at no more than 10 FPS, if very lucky.

And frequency don't matter when it compares a Pentium 4
2.5 ghz to a Athlon XP Barton or Athlon XP T-Breds at
2.0 ghz, because an Athlon can still possibly whoop a
Pentium 4 2.5 ghz, because of it's powerful FPU.

Orkin

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R
Actually, I have considered starting a software video plugin. More as a testing platform than for actually playing though. In a software plugin many of the more difficult things to emulate on the N64 would be easy (perfect frame buffer emulation, for instance, would be a no-brainer).

Orkin

milen

Can you make paritaly hardware plugin with only very basic hardware dx functions that all cards support , somehting like d3d 5

MikeX

Good idea!!!

Orkin said:
Actually, I have considered starting a software video plugin. More as a testing platform than for actually playing though. In a software plugin many of the more difficult things to emulate on the N64 would be easy (perfect frame buffer emulation, for instance, would be a no-brainer).

Orkin

I think it may be an interesting option as a testing platform. Nemu had a very primitive rendering by software. Please Orkin start a project like that. Later you can add software support to video cards without that functions by hardware. :nemu:

euphoria

Emutalk Member
Orkin said:

Orkin

But why not implement the frame-buffer as a software mode to your otherwise hw plugin. Just like on psx gfx plugins there are software fb on hw plugins.
And btw Orkin i hadn't congratulated you for your amazing plugin. so congratulations for your amazing plugin! :)

Slougi

Hacktarux said:
That reminds me those guys who are mailing me sometimes to ask me to port mupen64 to DOS... Soon they'll ask us to write a n64 emu for a nes lol :D
Can you port it to my toaster? That would be the best thing since sliced bread! :happy:

Allnatural said:
Nah, not good. My toaster burns everything. ;)

Rofl. I think Hacktarux needs to port it to my microwave that should be better for the emulation, can you do that? :D

By the way, Allnatural. Have you ever tried using a software-renderer for your toaster, that should be better with the bread-buffer.

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I really need to upgrade my toaster to Toaster XP, Toaster98 crashes saying the bread has caused an illegal application :)

Raziel64

Glide64 beta tester
To Orkin

Is an dx6 plg-in possible? (It will be ultra-compatible with any graphic card, fast and useful)

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
Re: To Orkin

Raziel64 said:
Is an dx6 plg-in possible? (It will be ultra-compatible with any graphic card, fast and useful)
Umm... like Jabo's D3D6 plugin? It's only the most used plugin in N64 emulation though... :getlost:

DeadRabbit

Emutalk Janitor
Slougi said:
Can you port it to my toaster? That would be the best thing since sliced bread! :happy:

I don't care what he ports it to,

As long as it isn't my brain,

with the amount of instuctions I can process between 6:00 am and midday, he'd only get 1 FPS max. :happy:

And after a night on the piss, the graphics I can see are definitely not hardware accelerated. ;)

Last edited: