What's new

soundcards - the best one?

adi

get out of my house
I'm considering getting either a Videologic Sonicfury or a Creative Audigy. I just want to do 3 things:

1. Record to minidisc digitally
2. Listen to films through dolby digital via my dvd player in my pc
3. Play EAX games

Anyone got anything better? And does sound quality in mp3's and cd's improve when you upgrade your soundcard?

blizz

sound quality of MP3s is related to the codec you use to encode, for which I recomend lame with --alt-preset standard

CD's will really be based on how decent you cd drive is and your speakers, but your soundcard will help.

If I were you I'd go for the audigy because I like creative sound cards.

flow``

flow``
i'm quite happy w/ my SB Live x-gamer 5.1
and soundblaster Live! 5.1 or audigy series is are great cards to get

Why do you want to pay for an audigy or a sonicfury when you can have exactly the same results in the things you want to do with a SB live player5.1 which is much cheaper?

sk8bloke22

roll for life
ok it goes like this:

3) soundblaster live 5.1
2) sonicfury/santa cruz (same card) and joint with Philips Acoustic Edge --> both good cards
1) Audigy --> by far the best.

Audigy is by far the best, its the next generation, think about it as live 5.1 and sonic fury as 1st generation of EAX cards and audigy the next. this means the sonic fury 2 (wateva its real name is?) is gonna be the only real competition.

at the moment, definitely go for the audigy, it has a firewire port as well, and if u get the platinum u can get the live drive to hav all the outputs for mini disc recording (presuming mini disc requires optical fibres as opposed to firewire?). it has good dvd support as well.

Zero

Liar Liar Pants On Fire!
The Audigy is indeed the best sound card out now followed by the sonicfury and Sound Blaster Live 5.1.

So if I were you go and get the Audigy.

OP
adi

adi

get out of my house
Thanks guys, but where do you get the lame codec Blizz?