What's new

XP Users

Eagle

aka Alshain
Check your critical updates now. There has been a severe security compromise in the Plug and Play buffers. This can allow someone complete access to your system.

Zero

Liar Liar Pants On Fire!
I know what Eagle is talking about I was the first to find out this problem so listen to this advice and run Windows Update a.s.a.p
(thanks to this problem my emulation projects are all on hold :pissed: untill I :
- Get WinXP working properly
- Get Win98 SE to stop slowing down when I'm testing my emus (If you think you can help please do so :) )

Till then all emu projects will be on hold.

Furtermore I wasn't able to make the screenshots of my Gb emu the GB Player (which some people requested here on Emutalk) due to a bug in Windows which I now have tracked down and altered but in that proces I accidently erased my final file of the emu so now I have to restart again because due to WinXP totally crashing I also lost all of the backup files I made of it.

But anyhow I think it will be re-released next week with some slight improvements.

Till then ,

Zero (who is :pissed: at m$ for WinXP failures)

blizz

The news story can be found here:

http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=2055

Originally posted by M$ at their site

Who should read this bulletin: Customers using Microsoft® Windows® ME or XP, or who have installed the Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing client on Windows 98 or 98SE.

Impact of vulnerability: Run code of attacker’s choice.

Maximum Severity Rating: Critical

Recommendation: Microsoft strongly urges all Windows XP customers to apply the patch immediately. Customers using Windows 98, 98SE or ME should apply the patch if the Universal Plug and Play service is installed and running.

Affected Software:

Microsoft Windows 98
Microsoft Windows 98SE

the patch can be found here:

http://microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS01-059.asp

Zero

Liar Liar Pants On Fire!
The patch came a little too late fo me , I hate m$ :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

/me kills Bill Gates :p

Zero

Liar Liar Pants On Fire!
It actually should but they caught wind of it (the problem) a little late and so me and a lot of other people got screwed due to the security compromise.

/me still trying to find an kill Bill Gates he's the :devil:

Raging Fuel

The jumbles man, the jumbles
Tesla-Guy said:
I did, but isn't XP supposed to auto-connect to ms site, find updates, dl them and install them?

It has that by default, but it's very easy to turn it off (it's just very annoying).

zorbid

:pissed: Guess what? the patch refuses to work on my french version of XP... Because of the difference of language. Have to wait for the french version :pissed:

Zero

Liar Liar Pants On Fire!
Better be there fast zorbid otherwise if something goes wrong it will totally go wrong (something like what happened to me)