What's new

'X Axix -' automatically choosen

Quad

'X Axis -' automatically chosen

Whenever I try to assign a button of my gamepad to a control, it automagically chooses 'X Asis -' and it's not possible to assign another button.

This problem occurs on my RedHat 8.0 box, though I have not tried on Windows. I own a Gravis Xterminator Digial Gamepad and use blight's input plugin version 0.0.4. My gamepad works perfectly in ZSnes.

I think MrMorose had the same problem. Someone had replied to edit the configuration file by hand. My question is: how can we know what to write directly in blight_input.conf ?

I checked the source code of blight's input plugin but cannot figure out what number would correspond to what button on the controller. Also, I'm not sure about the difference between the 'key', 'button' and other parameters for each controller button and axis.

I'd need a bit of documentation in order to know what goes into the configuration file (i.e what are the possible values, what are the correspondance between a value and another, etc.).

Or maybe someone can post a workaround for this?

Last edited:

MrMorose

Took a whiles.. This is mine.. might not work for you though...

Read through it and you should be able to figure it out..

and if you cant get sound, I killed root's esd and ran it using the current user, the sound's pretty choppy, and it's a _really_ stupid thing to do, but it works.

--edit, umm I seem to have mapped button '6' twice, Take Care!

OP
Q

Quad

I just did some research throughout the code and played with the calibration of my gamepad and discovered the following.

The joystick on my gamepad has a range from 0 to more or less 60 in the up, down, left and right directions, with a neutral center of around 30. I have seen that in blight's code, the bound that is checked is 15000 (most likely because of SDL documentation that says that a full stick range can go from -32768 to 32767, 15000 being around the middle of this positive maximum). That explains why I can't get a positive value for the X asis ('X Axis +').

Second thing. If I don't have a chance to press a button while it asks me to assign one, it's mainly because the gamepad generates number of SDL_JOYBUTTONUP events at that time (event 11). Then a single SDL_JOYAXISMOTION event after them. I am currently investigating why it sends this chain of events.

I did manage to get the driver a bit more stable, but I'm not sure why. To me it shouldn't make any change in the way events are sent to the driver... I'll dig into this.

Anyone eles has access to a Gravis Xterminator gamepad with any useful information?

OP
Q

Quad

Thanks for your input. Seems we were posting at the same time. I'll take a look at your configuration file.