What's new

Blue Screen occurs when start button is pressed in Majora's Mask

RockMeMegade

Hello,

I am enjoying this N64 emulator greatly, and I am impressed with its abilities. I was amazed to see how Majora's Mask looked in it, but there is a problem... I can't play the game because of an annoying problem. Whenever I press the start button, a BSOD comes up with a message about "ati2dvag.dll". This has occured every time I have pressed the button, forcing me to restart and making me lose my progress. So, my question is simply this: why is this occuring and how can I fix it? I am using Project 64 v1.5.

Here are my system specs, probably has something to do with the problem...

Asus P4S8X motherboard
Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, 400 mhz FSB
Powercolor Radeon 9500 Pro
SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer
512 MB Corsair PC2100 RAM
Toshiba SD-M1712 16x DVD-ROM
Plextor PX-W4824A 48/24/48A CD-RW
Western Digital 80 GB 7200 rpm HD
Maxtor 80 GB External Firewire HD
100 MB Iomega Zip Drive
Generic Floppy
Logitech Wingman USB Gamepad
Standard IBM Keyboard
Microsoft Intellimouse Optical
Samsung SyncMaster 765MB 17" Flat Screen CRT
Logitech Z560 4.1 Speakers
Oboard LAN (SiS 900 something)
Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1
DirectX 9.0

I have updated every driver there is to update on my computer, especially my video driver (Catalyst 3.1). My system is rock solid, no problems since purchasing and building it in January. I have re-installed Project 64 once, leaving everything at its default setting except for resolution on my first attempt at solving this problem. Actually, now that I think about it, I remember that at 640x480 16-bit color, pressing pause worked fine, but when I upped the resolution to 1280x960 32-bit, I started having this problem. Note that I am using the WingMan gamepad to play.

I appreciate any help anyone can give me; I want to enjoy this game a second time on a PC, since it looks and sounds so different.

O

OminaeYu

It's possible that DirectX 9.0 is your problem. A friend of mine who has a Radeon 9700 upgraded to DirectX 9.0 and got the same problem your describing.

Try downgrading to DirectX 8.1 or wait until ATI comes out with new Cat drivers

O

OminaeYu

Copied from http://fumbling.com/blog/jan03.html

The problem: Applications crash. Kernels panic. Any compiling, and kernel compiles specifically, invite all kinds of error messages. X sessions die horribly. Under Windows, the crashes will usually implicate a video driver, typically ati2dvag.dll or some functionally equivalent module in another manufacturer's code. Sometimes they'll halt the machine; sometimes they won't. But applications crash randomly to the desktop, particularly applications that make use of DirectX code (which is basically all Windows games now) and/or tax the CPU, and we're not talking about massively high load, either. WinAmp will do it. Word will crash crandomly (but "recover") itself in a highly annoying process.

Here's something that isn't recommended very often, but should be: Tweak your DRAM timings, especially if they're set to "Auto" or whatever your motherboard's manufacturer considers to be an automatic timing. Normally this is a safe bet. But periodically, according to my vastly smarter friends, there are some minor instabilities that cause all kinds of headaches. Try setting it to 133 MHz instead of "Auto," or turning the speed down in general; this might slow your system down, but unless you're one of those overclocking guys (who therefore has his own fix for this particular problem anyway) you probably won't notice enough to care. I certainly don't.

Anyway, I hope this has been useful.

Sorry about the Double post I can't edit messages
:doh:

OP
R

RockMeMegade

Thanks

Hey guys,

Thank you for your suggestions; it's too bad that I was the target of an inappropriate reply at first.

OminaeYu, you're probably right about DirectX 9.0/Catalyst 3.1. I did play this game for a little bit just try it out right after I got this computer, and I believe that at that point I had DirectX 8.1/Catalyst 3.0. I don't recall the start button problem happening when I had those drivers, so I guess I'll have to wait for new Catalysts, most likely. How do you "downgrade" to 8.1, btw? I didn't think it was possible to do that.

I found that article you posted there very interesting. As I recall, there is an option in Project 64 that allows you to choose "compiler" vs. "interpreter". Could that have something to do with my problem, as the article mentioned that any sort of compiling could cause a problem? I will try your suggestion of changing my DRAM timings; I usually don't fool around with that kind of stuff, but maybe it is warranted this time.

OP
R

RockMeMegade

Catalyst 3.1 was the problem

Alright, I solved the problem, and I think everyone here should keep this in mind. I went back to the Catalyst 3.0 drivers, and the problem stopped. This was with DirectX 9, btw. Again, thanks for everyone's input.

SaiBork

although you already solved it like that
i would try to run it in win me compatibility mode
i had the same bsod crash when i pushed the start button in zelda ooc, and later on even when i went to my settings.
running in compat mode fixed everything :D

btw im on a radeon 9700 ;)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Is there even a me compability mode? :plain:
If so, even win98 compability mode is better; me is just plain shit and should be avoided as much as possible.