Votes: 6 30.0%
  • No opinion

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

Administrator
I received this e-mail today from a guy named Sukhjinder Sidhu, I will keep his e-mail address secret:

"Dear Mr. Nathell,

I am writing to you in regards to what can only be interpreted as an insult to the masses of English speakers around the world. On EmuTalk.net you refer to a 'Quiz Center', which I feel is inappropriately used on a website visited more by people from the European Union and other countries (such as Australia, Canada) which teach and use a form of British English (commonly known as English).

On a previous such occasion, I managed to overturn the mass idiocy that is the American shorthand date system (MM/DD/YYYY instead of DD/MM/YYYY), and I hope you will agree with what I have to say.

I am suggesting that we either change it to 'Quiz Centre' or 'Quiz Central' in order to allow the large chunk of site visitors to feel more comfortable with the language in use.

I hope you find my suggestions to your liking.

Yours sincerely,

Sukhjinder Sidhu"

What's your opinion on this matter? Perhaps this Sukhjinder will step out of the shadows and reveal who he is? Thanks for your input.

Sukh

Long gone...
Heh, carry on pretending I didn't batter you with people wanting to change it to Centre in IRC :D

dixon

white trash , whore
Anything to piss off American Fanboyz ;)

But I agreed with Sukh on something :baaa: :blush: Gonna have to go slit my wrists, latta.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
/me realy doesn't care how its spelt.

The english language in all of its forms is overly complicated. IMO its all about what you can understand, nevermind being proper.

Besides, I probably know the language in more detail than all of you :p

Last edited:

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Do be honest, it really doesn't matter very much at all. I picked 'yes' solely because I am Canadian

/me holds up his bottle of Molson Canadian

aprentice

I think Sukh has too much time on his hands and needs to get a social life :p Center or Centre, same shit imo. Also how does DD/MM/YYYY make more sense than MM/DD/YYYY? Its a matter of preference. Conclusion: Sukh is british indian full of himself. I rest my case with the closing line, Who gives a fuck? :p

Sukh

Long gone...
Well, say for example, when you have 23% as a fraction, you don't write 100/23 do you? you write 23/100, i.e. what is most significant for most purposes - the date.

Also it goes up in steps, i.e. 7 days in a week, 12 months in a year.....

:D

Last edited:

ra5555

N64 Newbie
Sukh said:
i.e. 7 days in a month, 12 months in a year.....

so there are what? 7*12=84 days in a year? :p

I agree with you, sukh. Although I don't really care that much, but I still would like to see a change because I am an Aussie-Canadian. :)

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
Then Call It "Quiz Zone" & be done with it :happy:

It really does not matter how it is spelt.
Who ever visits the Board are incouraged to write in English.

But then again there are 2 English langs to choose from.

1) English.
2) American English.

although most use the 3rd "IRC English" :p
& who knows wtf that's all about lmao

aprentice

Sukh said:
Well, say for example, when you have 23% as a fraction, you don't write 100/23 do you? you write 23/100, i.e. what is most significant for most purposes - the date.

This example isnt sufficient, its like apples and oranges.

Also it goes up in steps, i.e. 7 days in a month, 12 months in a year..... [/B]

I have to disagree with you there, 7 days a week.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
The Gentleman said:
Then Call It "Quiz Zone" & be done with it :happy:

It really does not matter how it is spelt.
Who ever visits the Board are incouraged to write in English.

But then again there are 2 English langs to choose from.

1) English.
2) American English.

although most use the 3rd "IRC English" :p
& who knows wtf that's all about lmao

Well, by that third one, I assume you mean 'Net english. But then you can't forget that theres also aussie english, canadian english, and redneck :)

So far as dates, like I told Sukh earlier on IRC, the US Army formats shorthand dates like 09Feb2003. You can't even confuse that if your drunk and on heroin all at the same time. Thats why I use it :)

jegHegy

that guy needs to get a life. what the HELL does it matter how it's spelled if everyone can understand it? if some people can't understand it because of two letters swapped, shoot them.

nyaa

radTube

lazy bastard
Sukh said:
It's the principle you fool.

You're probably the kind of guy that never crosses a street without looking both ways and always remembers to close the toilet lid. It's all about the principles isn't it? :getlost: Relax and look for something _important_ to nag about.

Sukh

Long gone...
I don't know about you, but I've been brought up to look both ways before I cross the road. You see, if it's two way traffic and you look only one way and walk into the road, you're prone to get hit by moving traffic.

And I'll nag about whatever I wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.