What's new

CBFD Sound Issues

shadowchaser

I have tried various plug-ins and settings with varying levels of success trying to get the sound to run right in CBFD, it is choppy and tends to echo every couple of seconds, especially during speech in the cutscenes but not so noticable with music and other sound effects.

1.2Ghz Celeron
256MB RAM
40GB HD
32MB GeForce2 MX 100/200
Win98 SE

My other roms (Majoras and Ocarina) run perfectly apart from their 'known issues'.... Anyone got any ideas?

"The trick to walking on water is knowing where the stones are"

returno

some ideas

If the FPS drops below 30, the sound will be bad. This is true in just about any game. Some of the scenes early on in CBFD are very complex and so the sound may be particularly bad there. Keep playing and see if it improves. If not, try to make the graphics faster by trying different graphics drivers or tinker with the graphics card settings in the Windows control panel and in 'dxdiag' - a DirectX utility in your Windows folder.

Make sure 'sync game to audio' is disabled.

OP
S

shadowchaser

settings

Ahh ok, the game normally runs around 55 - 65 fps but when the cutscenes come on i can't remember what the fps drops down to but it would be a severe hit...

Any advice on what kind of settings I should be looking at to get maximum performance?

OP
S

shadowchaser

Mixed success

I found a guide for tweaking GeForce2 cards which gave a noticable performance boost and now conkers runs consistently at round 60FPS even during cutscenes, and although the sound has improved noticably, speech is still sometimes garbled, however the effect isnt as bad and only seems to occur as returno pointed out during more complex scenes, however the game is far more playable.

The tweaking guide can be found at:
www.3dgpu.com/tweaking/index.php
and I recommend anyone with a GeForce2 card to check it out.

However could it be a fault in PJ64 that speech is still choppy? It is singled out now so that even background noises and music run fine but the speech is choppy, and this error still occurs at 60FPS +...

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
You could try LLE sound. Go to the RSP plugin and uncheck "Send Audio Lists to plugin". It might make the run run slow on your system, though.

OP
S

shadowchaser

Sound

I am using LLE sound by default, with 'Send Audio Lists to Plugin' checked the sound becomes totally garbled. The only success I have had is with Azimer's Audio, which produces perfect sound however there is silence every other second or so, but the graphics are unhindered and the audio keeps pace with it, but 'drops out' every couple of seconds. Anyone got any ideas?