What's new

Computer keeps restarting itself

Annorax

Hello, I am having a most unusual problem. When I play Zelda 64, occasionally my entire system resets itself, as if it was turned off and turned back on. It goes through Scandisk and starts up again. Sometimes when I go back to that spot it resets again and other times it's fine. It doesn't do this for anything else.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this? Thanks for any help.

OP
A

Annorax

Sorry, I built my computer to these specifications: Windows 2000 Pro, 512MB PC133 SDRAM, AMD Athalon XP+ 1600, Kyro II chipset video card with 64MB RAM.

My plugins are as follows: Jabo's Direct3D6 1.5, Jabo's Direct Sound 1.5, Jabo's Direct Input7 1.5.

As for the settings, here they are. For video card rendering, I am using Direct3D HAL with nothing else checked. I haven't touched anything else.

SaiBork

*edit*
how about a note in the event viewer?
mine doesnt give any errors in there :plain:
*end edit*

dont know if this option is built-in in win2k already but with xp theres an option that if the computer locks or gives a bsod (blue screen) it automaticly reboots, maybe this is why it does.

i have a similar problem.
i was happily playing zelda 64, but now when i try to play and i press the start button i get a bsod :(
i didnt get it before, it was just having trouble with the subscreen (as said in the faqs)

anyone knows a solution? i really like pj64 1.5 but i REALLY want to play zelda 64 ;)

Im on this:
AMD Atlhon XP 2200+
2x 256MB DDR SDRAM (PC2100)
MSI KT4 Ultra
Club3D Radeon 9700
Windows XP Pro / DX9 / Catalist 3.0 (updated ones)

i believe that should be enough :p

i run pj64 as:
All of the included plugins (Jabo's)
Im hiding the advanced settings

video plugin:
D3D HAL
ani filt: 16x
fs res: 1024x768
buffer: triple
window: 800x600

(both windowed and fs i get the bsod)

audio plugin isnt much to do ;)

controls:
see attached file

BSOD:
sometimes its just blue, without any text
sometimes it gives an error on my ati drivers :plain:

anyone PLZ help me out here

Last edited:

wilsey

Gaming Freak
kyro

i had the same prob , it's the video card ,

FIX

in the display properties put all the 3D Optimisations to ther default settings and try to run it , also if you have overclocked it any , bring it back down some
the kyro doesn't overclock much and gets hot very easy which in turn will restart your PC

hope this helps :)

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Disagree, my old Kyro II ran N64 ROMs just fine with the WHQL 1.6 driver.

There are many 3D hitches that you can run into, the K2's drivers are VERY buggy... part of the reason I switched to a 9500 Pro :) (no problems with it either! :happy:)

In any case, yes, K2's drivers have a lot of potential infinite loop catches which will cause 2k (with SP3) and XP to reset without warning.

My best suggestion is to reinstall the driver (if you already have 1.6 WHQL), if not then upgrade to 1.6 WHQL *NOW*.

If that doesn't work, last suggestion is uninstall the K2 driver, reinstall DirectX (whatever version at or above 8.1b you want), then reinstall the K2 driver.

If that doesn't work then I can't help you any farther :geek:

added: If you don't believe me, http://steelkiel.tripod.com/outwiththeold.jpg - :satisfied

Last edited:

SaiBork

how about a solution for me guys?
doesnt anybody know something to fix this?

i didnt have this until reasently, i didnt change anything so thats why i dont understand it.
i can press start in all other games.
i thought maybe because a corrupt savefile orsomething, but when i remove the savegame and start all over it still does it.

anyone??
well im gonna remove everything that has to do with pj64 tonight and reinstall and then try it again.

i even tried different emus, but most just suck and dont run it right at all :(
why is it so hard? it ran great with emuhq (hey i dont have a 3dfx card so i cant use it, most glodewrappers are not working right, or does anyone know a really good one for my radeon 9700?)

please help me out here?

*off topic question*
are there any plans on further development of maybe even project64 1.6 :unsure: