What's new

launch up UltraHLE to computing standards

Tarikoo

Hello

I would like you guys working on UltraHLE 2064 (particulary Dominator that coordinate the project) to think about put UltraHLE up to Operating Systems standards (UNIX) and Graphical Library standard (OpenGL).

I don't support any trade or any corporation, I just support standards and consortiums respect, that Windows and DirectX don't go with.

Remember working any time for a non-standard system is like loosing this time, you'll understand later, but it is true.

I know that RM and Ep have begin the project on Win, but all you need is to map the DirectX routines to OpenGL and to rewrite some unstandard code.
That done, porting on every UNIX you want (MacOS X, Solaris, BSD, Linux ...) is a game of kid.

OP
Tarikoo

Tarikoo

it is

but Microsoft rised the apogee, they can't stand any more, they are going slowly to the decline.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Somehow i doubt that, think about it, most software on the market is made for the windows operating system, how much of that have i seen for Linux/unix, none. so the home consumer (thats almost everyone with a computer apart from business's) are going to stick with windows because of that fact, besides, windows rules, i aint changing anytime soon :D

OP
Tarikoo

Tarikoo

You dont seems to understand very well : first Unix is not an Operating System, it's a standard.
Also, consider that near the 3/4 of Windows soft is empty, or just overcoat dirty software. Also a big part of software is not really software but just content with a little UI (like encyclopedias, dictionnarys, all that stuff)

UNIX software developpement has begin far before Windows just exist, and if there is a few software it's because this is very good software that doesn't need plenty of clones, mainly thanks to the UNIX module based application exchanges.

All the things you will not find a lot on Unix is video games, but you got some of the best of them (including all blizzard's) on Mac OS X. Port a game on a OS is not very difficult, it just need the will of the studio. That will happen soon. For myself I am just launching win for warcraft 3, I perform the rest 1000 times more confortably and faster on a Unix.

Stop to consider Win as a default operating system. Win is just a totalitarian commercial system.

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
I am very into UNIX/Linux. I am also very into playing games. And I agree with you, the game world under a UNIX style environment just doesn't exist. Yes Transgaming has made some great leaps. And a very select few companies are including native binairies for Linux. It's just not happening on the *NIX platform. Remember the one company who tried, Loki, has all but failed completely. You just can't make enough money in that sort of business when your main market is aimed at home users who are all running Windows.

And I doubt that home users would even want anything to do with a dual boot system, so to me that is not an option. They want it easy and fast without having to learn two different platforms to do it. AOL has proven that with all of it's sheep.

I do hope someday there's a 50/50 choice for the home users, but I think until some of the big software companies developing games really try, it's just not going to be.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Tarikoo said:
You dont seems to understand very well : first Unix is not an Operating System, it's a standard.
Also, consider that near the 3/4 of Windows soft is empty, or just overcoat dirty software. Also a big part of software is not really software but just content with a little UI (like encyclopedias, dictionnarys, all that stuff)

UNIX software developpement has begin far before Windows just exist, and if there is a few software it's because this is very good software that doesn't need plenty of clones, mainly thanks to the UNIX module based application exchanges.

All the things you will not find a lot on Unix is video games, but you got some of the best of them (including all blizzard's) on Mac OS X. Port a game on a OS is not very difficult, it just need the will of the studio. That will happen soon. For myself I am just launching win for warcraft 3, I perform the rest 1000 times more confortably and faster on a Unix.

Stop to consider Win as a default operating system. Win is just a totalitarian commercial system.

Nice speech, although, you're missing the point, windows dominates the market, just because one or two decide to go linux doesn't really change much, alot of home users wouldn't even consider linux, I've tried to install it myself,

In the process i lost my entire partition full of things i had downloaded, and i couldn't even get it to work, full stop, the installers about as user friendly as a crocodile, at least on Mandrake. (perhaps i'm too stupid to use linux ;)

whereas Windows might be commercial, but what good piece of games software isn't? any game out there for windows that is good is sure to have a windows port;

Mainly because the majority of people have windows, software companys could sell millions of people one piece of software on a windows computer, where-as only thousands on linux/mac os, think about it.

its not going to happen soon just because you want it to, either, windows has dominated the market for over 10 years, what makes you think it will change now? Windows has alot of money behind it, it will take alot to kill them off as the default OS.

OP
Tarikoo

Tarikoo

UNIX has very good OS, have you ever tried MacOS X ? it's realy more easy than Windows while giving infinite more commands possibilities (thanks to UNIX support). Yes it's not for IBM PC... but Apple Macintosh.

I am not talking in the immediate time, I am just sure of that in 4 or 5 years Windows will not be domining anymore (that is to say that windows will care under 50% of the market).
Don't delay your speech on the details, during this time I am sure that very easy-to-use (and more than windows) OS or maybe Linux distrib will come. The graphical interface and installation package are just finalizations of an OS.

Moreover for UNIX developpers and users will not need to devellop multiple versions or know many commands for OS, they are common to each UNIX compliant OS.

That was the objective of UNIX because of the OS that were all scattered before (that happen for all new incomming technologies, you first knock up and them when it's going big there is consortium to agree everybody). So at the end of the 70's just before the UNIX come around to consent all systems, IBM giant current boss that wasn't very very smart I think conclued a market with Bill. You know the next.

About Microsoft, just checks News and curent stock exchange you'll understand why it's the begining of the end of their monopoly.

I've tried to install it myself, ...

Currently for your category of User, Mac OS X is the best UNIX to show you the possibilities of UNIX with the facilities and design of Windows (even better).
Moreover, know that Mandrake is not an exellent distrib.... the good ones (mainly debian and gentwo) are reserved to pros, because they are very difficult to install for a newbie. (back of the thing you get a very performant PC that boot in 7-8 seconds on a very good installation)

aprentice

First of all, Mac's SUCK. They are more unstable than pc's. The os SUCKS. They dont network well, did i say they SUCK? I have to work on a mac in computer graphics class using paintshop pro and it crashed on me the first day i used it! The instructor says save often because mac's crash alot more than pc's.

About making ultrahle up to unix standards, you can forget it :p
I'm not trying to be rude but UltraHLE isn't first priority on most of the teams list anymore now that school has begun so whatever time we have would be on fixing any bugs etc not a complete rewrite. Don't forget to factor in real life and job into the equation and you get our current situation. Just be happy with what we released for the time being, its better than nothing :p

OP
Tarikoo

Tarikoo

you're really talking about Macos X ? It network very well probably you are allergic to non-windows OS because configuration is very easy on it, more easy for somebody that never touched a windows as well as a MacOS X. Almost there doesn't exist any mac shipped without Network plug since the first iMacs.

About crash maybe you're working on an unstable version of MacOS X.
There is no comparaisons between MacOS X and all others MacOS, they are working on a totally different kernel.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
aprentice said:
First of all, Mac's SUCK. They are more unstable than pc's. The os SUCKS. They dont network well, did i say they SUCK? I have to work on a mac in computer graphics class using paintshop pro and it crashed on me the first day i used it! The instructor says save often because mac's crash alot more than pc's.

You must have used MacOS 9 or something. I've only had OS X crash once on me. I liken it to the difference between Win98 and Win2K: I've had Win98 crash on me countless times, but Win2K only five.

Anyways, I think it would be awesome if the uHLE guys would release the source... Especially if they don't plan on doing a Mac/Linux port themselves.

Last edited:

Slougi

OS X really is a nice OS. It also is a prove that UNIX can be made easy for end users, and should serve as an example to the opensource community. There are several things that need to be fixed for Linux to become a viable alternative operating system for the masses:
1) Installation. It is too difficult atm on most (all?) distributions. A user won't know whether he should install on an xfs, reiserfs, ext 3, ext 2, jfs, or whatever partition, to install aterm, eterm, xterm, or whatever other term. What is samba? alsa? scsi-emulation? What is the difference between mozilla, galeon, phoenix? wtf?
2) Easier software installation. This is not a problem with lots of distros (Gentoo, Debian, etc), but rpm hell really needs to be fixed.
3) More Hardware support. Reverse engineering won't cut it in the long run, unfortunately.

That said, I am using gentoo linux with separate /boot (ext2) and /home (reiserfs) partition, while / is xfs. Try doing that in Windows :D
/me is a happy Penguin :linux: