Rice's Unofficial Daedalus Plugin 4 For DirectX And OpenGL

Rice

Emulator Developer
***** This thread is closed *****

***** A new version of this plugin has been released
***** at Rice's Daedalus 4.1.0 beta1

==========================================

Hello, All.

I have been silence for a long time. In this winner break, I have been worked on my unofficial Daedalus plugin and have made some progress.

Since the winter break is over, and I will be busy again with my school, I would like to release my work for ppl to take a look, or to other program to take as an reference.

The biggest part of my new work is to support both DirectX 8 and OpenGL in one plugin.

- Complete reorganize the whole project with C++ style, so I can support both DirectX and OpenGL, and to support different version of OpenGL variants.
- Support OpenGL 1.1, OpenGL 1.2, OpenGL 1.3, Nvidia OpenGL extension for TNT/TNT2, Nvidia OpenGL register combiner extension for Geforce and later chips, (Of course, still support DirectX 8.0/8.1)

There are still many many problems left to fix or to solve. The DirectX 8 part of the plugin should be the same as the previous version (with some minor bug fixes, and I may have introduced new bugs.) OpenGL part supports all the basic drawing primitives. Advanced features like sprites, GBI2 BGs, frame buffer emulation have not been added yet.

Remember that it is only a AS IT release. I know there are many bugs. Anyone can report them, but don't expect me to fix them soon.

Here is the binary file.

Late to say happy new year 2003 to everyone.

Rice

Last edited:
OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
The source code

Since I will be busy again with my school, I would like to release the src code, too.

As I said that the project had been completely reorganized in C++ style, which means:

- Very easy to extend new features, I was planning to also add support for DirectX7, DirectX6, DirectX9. Such things could be done in 1 or 2 days.
- Higher stability
- Hard to follow the function call flows if you are not good at C++.
- Slower speed.

There are something in the project worth for other programmer to take a look.
- N64 combiner mode compiler, to convert N64 combiner setting to DirectX8, OGL1.1, OGL1.2, OGL1.3, OGL Nvidia extension texture combiners
- How to reuse the most functions in base class and extend additional function in child class so to support totally different render engines of DirectX and OpenGL.

DirectX part of the project is not as good as Jabo's DirectX 1.4 or 1.5, and OpenGL part of the project is not as good as Icepir8's latest TR64ogl plugins. But since this project is capable to support all DirectX and all OpenGL version and extensions, as far as bugs are to be fixed, features are to be implemented, this project could easily grow to the only full featured crossplatform plugin.

I wonder if anyone else would like to attend the project. The following things I would like, may be interested to someone.

- to support DirectX7, DirectX6, Direct9
- to support ATI OpenGL extension so to support Radeon chipsets.
- to support depth buffer image for Radeon and Geforce 3/4 chipset so to play Resident Evil 2.
- Better frame buffer supports.
- bug fixes.

Rice

PS: If you have link error regarding libpng.lib, then you can edit the project setting under the [link] tap, just don't link this 'libpng.lib' file.

Last edited:
OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
Additional .H files

The source code zip file should be fine to use. But in case you don't have additional OpenGL extension header files, here you are.

Rice

stormyandcol

Helium Wish are coming...
tried a few problem games like mario tennis and mortal kombat trilogy.

overall, a very good release, its able to emulate a few things better than any other plugins but introduces mistakes of its own. mario kart has various errors in game like the track and some scenery, but the options menus are nearly perfect.

in mario tennis, the short cut scene where u see a diagonal line from the top right to the bottom left and a character in each half is the closest its been emulated so far, although the court is black and theres various other problems but looks promising.

mortal kombat is now playable =] with only a few glitches and occasional slow downs.

great work, we all hope u can find time to continue work on it :D

euphoria

Emutalk Member
First thanks for the release, always nice to have something new to play with.
If you don't have time for developing this further at this point, i'll post my test results here anyway in case someone else continues this.

DirectX mode shows D3DERR_INVALIDCALL MessageBox everytime i try to run a game and after closing that gives "Unknown Error in Daedalus D3D Plugin" MB and crashes after.
OpenGL "bestfit" gives me ~2 VI/s in 640x480 windowed (doesn't show a thing in MarioGolf64)
OGL 1.1 gives ~30 VI/s so this seems to be ok.
OGL 1.2 gives ~2 VI/s :(

All OGL plugins after stopping game throws me a "wglDeleteContext" Error MB.

Tried with "Super Mario 64 (U) [!].v64" 1964 0.8.5 on
Win2k 1600x1200@32bit,
1Ghz Athlon,
256Mb,
DX 8.0,
Matrox G450 32Mb DDR,
plugin at 640x480 windowed, {Alpha Blender, Hacks, Big Images} ON, Double Buffer Copy, Faster.

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
euphoria said:
First thanks for the release, always nice to have something new to play with.
If you don't have time for developing this further at this point, i'll post my test results here anyway in case someone else continues this.

DirectX mode shows D3DERR_INVALIDCALL MessageBox everytime i try to run a game and after closing that gives "Unknown Error in Daedalus D3D Plugin" MB and crashes after.
OpenGL "bestfit" gives me ~2 VI/s in 640x480 windowed (doesn't show a thing in MarioGolf64)
OGL 1.1 gives ~30 VI/s so this seems to be ok.
OGL 1.2 gives ~2 VI/s :(

All OGL plugins after stopping game throws me a "wglDeleteContext" Error MB.

Tried with "Super Mario 64 (U) [!].v64" 1964 0.8.5 on
Win2k 1600x1200@32bit,
1Ghz Athlon,
256Mb,
DX 8.0,
Matrox G450 32Mb DDR,
plugin at 640x480 windowed, {Alpha Blender, Hacks, Big Images} ON, Double Buffer Copy, Faster.

It could be your Matrox G450 problem. Your video card only supports OGL1.1 in hardware, and it reports itself to support OGL1.2 but implemented in software slowly. do you have DirectX 8.0/8.1 installed?

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
pj64er said:
yay! i was wondering what happened to you

do you have a list of the minor bug fixes?

No, I don't have. I have not tried many games, but I know there are many various texture / combiner problems. And I also know there are geometry problems even in Mario 64.

stormyandcol said:
tried a few problem games like mario tennis and mortal kombat trilogy.

overall, a very good release, its able to emulate a few things better than any other plugins but introduces mistakes of its own. mario kart has various errors in game like the track and some scenery, but the options menus are nearly perfect.

in mario tennis, the short cut scene where u see a diagonal line from the top right to the bottom left and a character in each half is the closest its been emulated so far, although the court is black and theres various other problems but looks promising.

mortal kombat is now playable =] with only a few glitches and occasional slow downs.

great work, we all hope u can find time to continue work on it :D

mortal kombat trilogy is now playable!!!?????? damn let me dl the plugin asap!!!!!:D

ShadowPrince

Heh,thats what i call new era of plugins development :)
Enormous release,Rice,congratulations and thank you for your work.Keep it up,Daedalus plugin is too good to die :)