What's new

Compiler alternatives

zeus

After using Dev-Cpp 4.01 for quite a while now, I´m beginning to look for other alternatives, since I have advanced in skill and is starting to move in other directions then pure C++. For learning other apis, i.e opengl and directx, which are neccesary for multimedia development, what are my alternatives?

I know that Ms Visual C++ 6.0 is the most accepted dev. environment for directx and Borland is more sutible for opengl usage. What other alternatives do I have and what are the pros and cons with these dev. environments. Also info and advantages and disadvantages with other compilers such as Watcom, DJGGP and other dev. solutions are welcome.

I´m thinking of developing an emu, what alternatives do I have and in what direction should I go towards. For now I´m thinking of a Z80 emu, are there any other simpler things such as calculators that one can emulate and where do I find info on these.

I would be helpful if someone with real knowledge could answer these questions and with links to more information.;)

Last edited:

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
All the compilators I have tried can be used to program an opengl or directx application. Where is the difference ? Often, this is in the documentation included with the compilator. So, if, like me, you like to use alternate and free compilators you have to find documentations and/or library kits for your compilator.

OpenGL documentation is quite easy to find. The DirectX documentation can be consult directly on the official web site and can also be downloaded (I can't remember the adresses).

Watcom is a commercial compilator that seems not to be improve since years.
DJGPP is a gnu C/C++ compilator for DOS (It is like Dev-CPP but it is for DOS).

If you are familiar with UNIX environnements you can use Cygwin. It is a port of all the most common tools of found on UNIX systems.

One interesting thing (it's just my opinion...) is to programm OpenGL program under Linux with the SDL library and to use a cross compilator to compile for Windows. It works great but it's harder to program the GUI if you want to use standard windows widgets.

Hope this can help you in your choices :)

Cyberman

Actually Dev C++ uses the MingW compilor, there are some tutorials for using it with DirectX it's not the same as using VC++ etc. You can use GTK for building your user interface and then doing some linking into your main app. Obviously none of it's integrated.

I use Builder C++ 5.0 right now it's pretty fast for building apps. However this all boils down to.. what are you trying to do. :)

Cyb

OP
zeus

zeus

Thanks for your replies, they cleared up a lot of things, but since my journey has just begun I don´t have the know-how or time to learn to program for another os, in this case linux, I have decided to continue with windows programming, Win32 API. Since I haven´t had any exp. with directx in Dev-C++ or any other compiler I´m still not clear about what the difference is. I know that there are libs. for use with Dev-C++, or MingW since Dev-C++ is just the IDE, but what is the difference between VC++ and Dev-C++ in directx programming. I know that they differ, and Cyb, you wrote this in your post but in what way?

And what are pros and cons with SDL except for cross- os compatibility. And one last q, where do I obtain information about calculators, trivial chips et cetera?

And oh, I almost forgot does anyone know if zilmars Emubook is down. Since the official site is down, www.pj64.net, and they are using a mirror located at pj64.emulation64.com shouldn´t the most logical place for the emubook be mirrorsite/emubook. I have been unable to locate this great resource which most likely will come in handy.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
SDL pros and cons

I find SDL very easy to use and well documented. For 3D it uses the OpenGL syntax. In fact all non 3D functions (2D graphics, sound...) of the SDL call directx functions in windows. So it is easier to use but it has good performances.
Unfortunately, there's probably difficulties to make a standard windows interface (I have not verified this).

The SDL is available at
http://www.devolution.com/~slouken/SDL
The documentation is readable on line.

VTT

If you want to write the qualitative emulator of the machine calculator, learn - asm: speed and quality.
-*-
Hey zeus;)

Cyberman

If you want to write the qualitative emulator of the machine calculator, learn - asm: speed and quality.

ASM == slow coding. :)
That's the big problem it's also highly non portable.. since you are coding for the Windows platform this isn't a big deal.

I know that there are libs. for use with Dev-C++, or MingW since Dev-C++ is just the IDE, but what is the difference between VC++ and Dev-C++ in directx programming. I know that they differ, and Cyb, you wrote this in your post but in what way?
DirectX libraries are different between DevC++ Borland Builder C++ and MS VC++ .. for example borland cannot use the Direct X libraries directly they have to be wraped. etc.

OpenGL is the simplest and easiest to learn from what I've seen.. directX is proprietary. The only draw back with OGL is .. sound.

Cyb