What's new

How does a video plugin work????

pigrecox

Hi!!!!
Is there anybody who can tell me how does a video plugin work?
How can I use the OpenGl?
HOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW??????????????

schibo

Emulator Developer
n64 emu plugins have a ".dll" extension and usually will reside in the "plugin" subfolder of the n64 emulators' directories. In a perfect world, all plugins are interchangeable with other emulators that share the compatibility spec. In the real world, not all work in all emulators.

As far as I know, all graphics plugins are now completely cross-compatible.

However, Jabo's audio plugin for instance, will work in pj64 (which is what it was designed for), but will not work in 1964. The reason for this is technical, so here it goes: it is because 1964 doesn't do a certain type of emulation (low-level-emulation of the rsp).

So basically, you take the dll file and put it into another emu's plugin folder..then you can select it from an options window located somewhere in the emulator.

Last edited:

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Well... kind of sort of. Jabo's Audio DLL DOES work in 1964. But only with games that produce their own audio using the r4300. Ms. Pacman, and demos do this. 1964 should get off their butt and do a l33t LLE RSP recompiler with OO Instruction optimization :) ( Just joking schibz :D )

schibo said:
n64 emu plugins have a ".dll" extension and usually will reside in the "plugin" subfolder of the n64 emulators' directories. In a perfect world, all plugins are interchangeable with other emulators that share the compatibility spec. In the real world, not all work in all emulators.

As far as I know, all graphics plugins are now completely cross-compatible.

However, Jabo's audio plugin for instance, will work in pj64 (which is what it was designed for), but will not work in 1964. The reason for this is technical, so here it goes: it is because 1964 doesn't do a certain type of emulation (low-level-emulation of the rsp).

So basically, you take the dll file and put it into another emu's plugin folder..then you can select it from an options window located somewhere in the emulator.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
hehe, this is all very interesting and im sure about as much use to pigrecox as a slap in the face with a wet fish. kinda like this reply :p

Azimer

Emulator Developer
'Sniif' was right. 'Jacob' did an awesome job on his video plugin and it should be commented on with how it works. Hmm... now how would 'the other guy' respond to such a thing...

Oh yes... I've never messed with graphics before on the N64. Err... wait. That doesn't apply to me. grrr... ummm... A video plugin works by ... wait... Does he mean HLE or LLE or??? *ponders*... oh yes... I will keep it simple. A video plugin works like any other .dll file. It is imported into the emulator and runs according to a specification. How can you use OpenGL ? Umm... You can use it for many things. You can use it to render the emulated 3D stuff you did on the video.dll. HOWWWWW????? How do pigs fly? I don't know.

Well... perhaps that wasn't so helpful ???

pigrecox said:
Hi!!!!
Is there anybody who can tell me how does a video plugin work?
How can I use the OpenGl?
HOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW??????????????

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Q: How does a video plugin work?
A: OK or perhaps badly. Or really well.

Q: How do you write a video plugin?
A: Carefully!