What's new

r4300i USAGE (??) question

teknoranger

I had no idea how to phrase my question......

Anyway, I noticed that when using version 1.5 with Zelda Oot, the r4300i says that it is operating at 99.9%, and I get only about 20-30 frames per second. I just re-downloaded version 1.4 to test that, and now the r4300i in only using 45% and I get 50-60 frames per second (a very noticable increase in performance - not just some random numbers). Is there any body else who has experienced this? Thanks in advance for your replys!

returno

nope

I can contribute a negative response - nope, LoZ OoT's performance stats are indistinguishable in PJ1.5 and 1.4 on my systems. In both cases I get generally around 60FPS - even on my "wimpy" system (700Mhz Athlon, GeForce 1 - and yes I mean 1).

You might try the 1.4 gfx plugin in 1.5 as an experiment. It might be an interaction between the graphics plug-in and your device drivers/DirectX, even though it shows up as an r4300i usage stat. I don't know enough about how those numbers are generated to say one way or the other. Maybe someone will add some info on that.

:) -

Anyway, I would dump XP. It causes compatiblity problems with PJ64. Use Win2K.

:)

OP
T

teknoranger

well I certainly cannot 'DUMP' XP, as I do not HAVE any other operating systems and my computer is the central hub in an office enviroment....However I do participate in a few game now and again. I suppose I am doomed to get shoddy performance then, at least until I upgrade my computer (probably a week from never)

returno

go with 1.4

Actually, for LoZ OoT, you are probably better off in PJ1.4, given the graphics card you are using. There are some missing effects that are pretty obvious for those without a GeForce 3 /4 card. There are improvements in 1.5 for this game, but the downside is a bit more obvious than the upside, IMHO.

And good luck using the "office environment" to play games using illegal ROM images (please note the smiley face) :D (I won't tell anyone!!)

OP
T

teknoranger

That shouldn't be too much of a problem - I am a partner in the company :)

I will try out your suggestions and post back with the results

You mentioned the fact that you were using a Geforce 1 card? Do you suppose you might be able to let me know what settings you are using (for the graphics, audio - including the plguin, and just the general 'advanced; settings) I understand it might be alot of trouble......I guess my #1 best bet to play Loz Oot (LOZ OOT - HAHAHAHA) is to wait for it to be realeased on the gamecube...Yeah well anyway thanks in advance for your response!

by the way WHAT the hell is this smily face supposed to be???

>>>> :homestar: <<<<

returno

I use the default plug-ins and settings for this game. In fact, I don't think I've ever changed rom settings for any game in PJ1.5.

50-60 FPS in PJ1.4 is the speed you should be seeing for (most of) the intro in LoZ OoT. The game is 100% playable at that speed. You don't need to wait for anything.

Play it, Sam.

by the way WHAT the hell is this smily face supposed to be???

Weird isn't it?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Winxp is causing no whatsoever troubles to pj. Pj works very well under it. And afaik, much games does not work good or correct on 2k since they are usually made for *XP*.

returno

Doomulation said:
Winxp is causing no whatsoever troubles to pj. Pj works very well under it.

Sure it does!

I kid about XP. I do not like it. It is ugly. It has activation keys. That's all. I just kid around. But I've never seen the PJ "out of memory" problem from anyone not using XP. I'm kidding about XP, but I'm still suspicious. Because it is ugly. And it has activation keys.

Doomulation said:
And afaik, much games does not work good or correct on 2k since they are usually made for *XP*.

Which games are those? I have a lot of recent PC games - GTA3, Wolfenstein, Morrowind, Mafia, MOHAA, NOLF2, Jedi Outcast 2, some others. They work great on Win2K. I have some old games that don't work. They work great when I multiboot to Win98. XP: I don't need it. And did I mention it is ugly? I think so. And the activation key thing. It is evil.

But XP and PJ64 together are cool. Really!

:D

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
What you think of xp in general has nothing to do with it. I had a game which didn't quite work under 2k...but i haven't had it for long, so i don't *quite* know if it is right.

And the out of memory error is just *one* problem. I haven't seen any more *os-specific* problems to xp know to me. Have you? If so, then state them.