What's new

Project 64 Running Slow!

the_man4343

:n64: Hey Guys P64 is great :n64:

But I need Help, It is running too slow.
My system is as follows:

AMD K6-2 450Mhz
128MB Ram
20GB HDD
Voodoo 4 4500 PCI (32MB)
Windows 98 SE

I am also upgrading my video card to a
nVidia GeForce 2 MX400 64MB PCI, Will that help?
I will probably upgrade my processor too!
To around 1GHz or 1.2GHz.
But will the video card right now with my current processor
(V4 + 450MHZ) Be sufficient? How About With The GeForce?
Will The GeForce Make A Big Impact On FPS?

PLZ answer, Somebody!

-K7-

I have trouble getting all games to go full speed on my XP1800 with Radeon, so I would say the CPU is the big problem. Maybe try using the Glide plugin. When you upgrade to your new cpu, be sure you get ddr ram, it makes a big difference. Things should run alot smoother after you upgrade; and the MX400 is a pretty decent card. I've run PJ64 with an MX400 on a Celeron 766 I built and it worked pretty well. Still, unless you're getting the card at a big discount, I'd say to get the Geforce4 MX440 (I think that's what it's called, I just know it has 64mb of DDR and a whole lot of standard Geforce4 stuff).

Conclusion: The K6-2 is the problem. Can't imagine PJ64 working well at all on less than a P3.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
PJ64 works quite good for me. Never gets less than ~43 fps in an intense game. Underclocking my cpu to 450mhz with a 100 bus just about kills it though. :p You can try and super-OC your fsb even if it takes the internal clock down, as memory bandwidth is really where the K6-2 suffers. Switching from 5.5x100=550 to 4.5x120=540 gave me a HUGE increase in performance. Then again, it may be my GeForce talking. :p :phone:

edit: I too reccomend using Glide64, it will raise your FPS alot since you have a voodoo.

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
-K7- said:
Still, unless you're getting the card at big discount, I'd say to get the Geforce4 MX440 (I think that's what it's called, I just know it has 64mb of DDR and a whole lot of standard Geforce4 stuff).
Why do everyone say get GeForce4 MX?! It's crap! Crap! Bullshit! It's nothing! Get a geforce3 ti instead. I bet your 3dmark score would boost by at least 1.000 with that card. And no, it isn't more expensive than the gf4 mx card.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Doomulation said:
Why do everyone say get GeForce4 MX?! It's crap! Crap! Bullshit! It's nothing! Get a geforce3 ti instead. I bet your 3dmark score would boost by at least 1.000 with that card. And no, it isn't more expensive than the gf4 mx card.

Have you ever even used a gf4 mx? >_<

OP
T

the_man4343

oh yeah and I would like to overclock but....
i swear to god there are now frequency or fsb jumpers on the board and its not a soft bios.
theres only voltage jumpers that I can make out
Its and IBM APTIVA 2170-21U E-Series
With SiS 620 Chipset

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Allnatural said:
He's just referring to the limited feature set compared to the GF3 (or a non-MX GF4).

Ok, but that doesn't mean they suck. They retain all of the GF4 Ti's features besides DX8 shaders and lower clock speeds. :geek:

Allnatural

cooliscool said:
Ok, but that doesn't mean they suck. They retain all of the GF4 Ti's features besides DX8 shaders and lower clock speeds. :geek:
Yeah, but the lack of DX8 support is just one issue. The benchmarks speak for themselves. The GF4 MX 460 is routinely outperformed by the older and cheaper GF3 Ti 200. Spend slightly more on the GF4 Ti 4200 and you widen the gap.

Latest Pricewatch search:

-cheapest GF 4 MX 460 -- $89

-cheapest GF 4 Ti 4200 -- $110

:)

Last edited:
OP
T

the_man4343

Umm, excuseme but what does...

Umm, excuseme but what does all this have to do with my question!?
but anyways.
i tryed the k6speed thing and it wont set my processor up at all or down for that matter.
Help.

decription

Your processor seems to be the bottle neck of your system. Upgrade, also while your at it get a new graphics card and 128MB of Ram(only $20). The will improve you speen infinatly. for now though try Corn. It seem great for your system. If you use a Zilmar spec emu go with Glide 64 for your graphic plugin