PDA

View Full Version : Bra64 --> The New Era Of N64 Graphic Plugins!!

ashade
January 2nd, 2003, 20:27
:daedalus: It's getting really good. I'm designing a dx9 based plugin to pj64 and 1964. I understand what are rdp and rsp, that microcodes from 0x00 to 0xc0 are handled by rsp, that microcodes from 0xc0 to 0xff are handled by the rdp, that the command lists are in the rdram, that there are 7 types os rdp emualting types, etc... I have got a lot of functions references, but the kind of params they use, their matrix organization, etc is still dark for me... Can someone explain me this?

cooliscool
January 2nd, 2003, 20:43
Right. It's getting really good after 2 days. My ass. <_<

Doomulation
January 2nd, 2003, 20:58
Did you check out the emubook by zilmar?

Falcon4ever
January 2nd, 2003, 21:22
Originally posted by cooliscool

you're not the only one that isn't believing him,
but I will wait and see ...
-_-

ashade
January 2nd, 2003, 21:32
Yes, I've alrady seen the emubook and it's a ****, it doesn't give info on the microcodes encoding... the best thing I found is that gbi.h file, but it's too messed...

ashade
January 2nd, 2003, 21:35
Ok, I'm beginning to understand how this stuff work. My first doubt is from where i have to brgin emulating: RDRAM, IMEM or DMEM? Is there any kind of Program Counter like the rs4300i have?

Doomulation
January 2nd, 2003, 21:40
This looks intresting. The guy seems to have skills. Perhaps he can do another good plugin :)
Let's wait & see.

zorbid
January 2nd, 2003, 21:44
Originally posted by ashade
Yes, I've alrady seen the emubook and it's a ****, it doesn't give info on the microcodes encoding... Doom's advice was not appropriate, but it doesn't make Zilmar's emubook a ****!
the best thing I found is that gbi.h file, but it's too messed...

If you want more info, try to chat with IcePir8, Azimer (but he's gone for some weeks) Hacktarux or maybe McLeod (or whoever worked on UHLE2064's graphic code) on #emulation64 on efnet, they'll probably be able to help you.

But before, have a look at the open source plugins, you'll learn a lot !

BTW, this thread should be merged with the previous one (http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10735)

ashade
January 2nd, 2003, 23:39
OK, I'll try to chat with these guys.

ashade
January 2nd, 2003, 23:50
I was looking at some sources and I figured out that people just do slow plugins because they want... For example:

Look at these 2 functions, the first one in the source of ultra64 and the second one created by me:

__int64 sign_extend(long num) {
return (__int64)num;
}

__declspec(naked) __int64 __fastcall sign_extend(long num) {
__asm {
mov eax, ecx
cdq
ret
}
}

My function (the second one) is 3 times faster than the first one! and I can do much more... with assembler u can bswap a dword 4 times faster than in C, u can set a bit in a number directly, etc... and people do not use it...

Trotterwatch
January 2nd, 2003, 23:58
I was looking at some sources and I figured out that people just do slow plugins because they want

I don't think anyone would go out to make a plugin deliberatly slow! It's more a case of someone with different ability and experience looking at someones code and being able to notice places where it could be optimised further.

Anyways good luck on making your plugin, we look forward to seeing some fruits from your labour sometime in the next year :)

Doomulation
January 3rd, 2003, 00:26
Just promise you'll come back here when you need your beta-testers ;) :phone:

CpU MasteR
January 3rd, 2003, 00:35

Dont doubt him, It looks like he knows what he is doing...

I think this might be the start of a new generation of GFX plugins^_^

Doomulation
January 3rd, 2003, 02:12
My function (the second one) is 3 times faster than the first one! and I can do much more... with assembler u can bswap a dword 4 times faster than in C, u can set a bit in a number directly, etc... and people do not use it...
Perhaps i should also imply that not everyone knows how to use asm *shrug*
I'm one of them
:baaa:
Although i'm not a plugin writer.

aprentice
January 3rd, 2003, 04:07
I'm gonna approach this skeptically, like everyone else should aswell :P

ashade
January 3rd, 2003, 12:28
I have talked in mIRC with many people and now I really understand how this stuff works... I'm beginning the initialization code, basic stuff yet... But I am now with a problem about PAL and NTSC... I know some countries use PAL others NTSC... can someone explain me the great difference between these systems and on what it affects my emulation?

ashade
January 3rd, 2003, 12:32
HEY, I FORGOT TO SHOW MY LOGO... LOOK AT THIS AND TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK...

http://n64rom.kit.net/Bra64LOGO.jpg

thumperward
January 3rd, 2003, 12:49
It's a lovely red cross. :)

NTSC displays 525 lines on-screen at 60Hz, PAL displays 625 lines at 50Hz.

- Chris

ashade
January 3rd, 2003, 20:31
:n64: I figured out that rdram adresses are masked, because rdram has only 8mb... but i really didn't understand how they do this "mask"... in every plugin i found they usually do a segment array (dont know why) to convert mirrored addresses... Can someone explain me this stuff?

Remote
January 3rd, 2003, 20:38
:n64: I figured out that rdram adresses are masked, because rdram has only 8mb... but i really didn't understand how they do this "mask"... in every plugin i found they usually do a segment array (dont know why) to convert mirrored addresses... Can someone explain me this stuff?

Your best hope of getting help is probaly to hop onto #emulation64 on EFNET...

BTM
January 3rd, 2003, 22:00
Originally posted by thumperward
It's a lovely red cross. :)

this is odd but *.kit.net works only in the morning ( CET )

Falcon4ever
January 4th, 2003, 18:26
don't see the logo, i also can't connect to n64rom.kit.net
:ermm:

BTM
January 4th, 2003, 18:28
(NL)Falcon4ever :
Check back in 'bout 12 h :>

ashade
January 5th, 2003, 00:05
:baaa: HEY PEOPLE, GOOD NEWS!! I have implemented some rsp functions (only 4 till now) tottally in assembler code and look at the results in my PIII 1Ghz machine:

rsp_uc0_matrix(loads a matrix into the stack) --> time to run: about 5e-07 seconds!! (0.0000005s)

rsp_uc0_movemem(various stuff) --> time to run: about 3.5e-07 seconds!! (0.00000035s)

rsp_uc0_vertex(loads a vertex and do some math): about 3e-07 seconds!! (0.0000003s)

It's about 10 times faster than glide64 and 8 times faster than daedalus8!!!!!!! I'll test the same functions of other plugins to see results and compare with mine... I think Bra64 will be the fastest video plugin ever seen!!

Remote
January 5th, 2003, 00:16
You seem really exited over this, so exited that you posted the same message 3 times... :P Anyways, looking good... I'm probaly not the only one who enjoyed watching Glide64 evolve here on ET, so when you feel up to it and you have something to show, please do... :D

CpU MasteR
January 5th, 2003, 01:49
It's about 10 times faster than glide64 and 8 times faster than daedalus8!!!!!!! I'll test the same functions of other plugins to see results and compare with mine... I think Bra64 will be the fastest video plugin ever seen!!

Dont jump ahead of yourself now, You still have alot to go ;)

Doomulation
January 5th, 2003, 01:54
Whoa! Come! Share your progress! Whenever there's somethin' new, show it to us! :D
And release when you think it's ready! We're all excited ;)

Dave2001
January 5th, 2003, 01:59
It's about 10 times faster than glide64 and 8 times faster than daedalus8!!!!!!! I'll test the same functions of other plugins to see results and compare with mine... I think Bra64 will be the fastest video plugin ever seen!! [/B]

Well.. umm... you may not be doing exactly everything that will need to be done there in the future, but I don't doubt your ability to write fast code if you can do it in assembler. Good luck with your plugin.

linker
January 5th, 2003, 02:09
Jump on the irc and i'll send you some help files :D. They'll surely help you.

Hacktarux
January 5th, 2003, 02:11
By starting it all in asm, i can imagine, that you have written very carefully the few functions you've made to optimize them, and that you're very exciting to your results but... even if the improvement is real, i can also see how hard it will be in the future to manage the code, to modify thing in it when you'll see that you have to rewrite half of your code because something is wrong...

Well, i'm not trying to discourage you, but when you're writting your code, try to keep in mind, that you'll prolly need to rewrite 95% of it one day or another...

Doomulation
January 5th, 2003, 03:00
Originally posted by Hacktarux
By starting it all in asm, i can imagine, that you have written very carefully the few functions you've made to optimize them, and that you're very exciting to your results but... even if the improvement is real, i can also see how hard it will be in the future to manage the code, to modify thing in it when you'll see that you have to rewrite half of your code because something is wrong...

Well, i'm not trying to discourage you, but when you're writting your code, try to keep in mind, that you'll prolly need to rewrite 95% of it one day or another...
Well, you'll have to do that even with a real plugin coded without asm, don't you? :(
Yeah, well, that's life, and it cannot be avoided. It has been done with all the plugins :)

Cyberman
January 5th, 2003, 03:46
It's great you are excited.. but ummm I'm sure you'll have to do more with your code later on. Making it work is more important than making it fast.

As for the RDRAM you don't have 8megs you have 4 OR 8 megs. IE 4 megs without the expansion pack 8 megs with the expansion pack. General games were run at a higher resolution to take advantage of the extra memory (wee?)

Take your time I'm sure you'll see steady results but stick to the program. As Kazzuya says, "Debugging obscure bugs is the worst part of making a plugin!"

Take your time, don't rush anything the fewer mistakes you make now the less bug hunting you'll need to do later.

Cyb

ashade
January 5th, 2003, 14:26
For those who couldnt see the logo

http://n64rommania.hpg.com.br/Bra64LOGO.jpg

GuestX
January 5th, 2003, 14:29
looks cool :) ;)
_-_

BTM
January 5th, 2003, 14:34
Originally posted by SculleatR
looks cool :) ;)
_-_

No :P

Where ae u planing to put it anyway ?

GuestX
January 5th, 2003, 14:41
Originally posted by BTM
No :P

Where ae u planing to put it anyway ?

this was that i thinked. For a AboutBox..... :P
It's to big for a website. ^_^ >_<

BTM
January 5th, 2003, 15:00
this was that i thinked. For a AboutBox..... :P
It's to big for a website. ^_^ >_<

it's to big for the about box to ;]

GuestX
January 5th, 2003, 15:11
Originally posted by BTM
it's to big for the about box to ;]

joke :holiday: >_<

GuestX
January 5th, 2003, 16:07
it looks better with some color :D

ashade
January 5th, 2003, 17:06
Hey, i liked this one!! I'm having an idea now... let's make a contest... if you have time, improve the logo below, make it greater!! Let's see how cool it can get! You can put something related to n64 if u want...

Original logo:
http://n64rommania.hpg.com.br/Bra64LOGO.jpg

BTM
January 5th, 2003, 17:08
d00dz , get back to writing plugins, rememba ?
the logo is the less important part of the project ...

icepir8
January 5th, 2003, 17:09
Hey, I have an idea. Instead of focusing on a logo lets work on getting a working release done. Until then it is only vaporware.

cooliscool
January 5th, 2003, 18:23
Yeah, the traditional, "I release logo first" ****. That makes this "Project" even less believable. Oh, and look at the name. Remember Dildo64? Hm.. <_<

sytaylor
January 5th, 2003, 19:01
lets also not forget that asm hardware specefic so what you write for your p3 might not work on athlons etc

ashade
January 5th, 2003, 19:48
I use standard assembler code, present on Pentiums 1,2,3,4, duron and athlon and all other amd processors...

sytaylor
January 5th, 2003, 21:47
k, i'll let you off then ;)

Cyberman
January 6th, 2003, 00:34
Just work on it..
If you have screen shots you know where to post them :)

I hope you have success where others have failed

Cyb

Doomulation
January 6th, 2003, 00:54
Btw, ashade, why did you name your plugin Bra64? Is there any reason to it?
And oh yeah, keep on the work ;) We're anixious on a release soon!

Remote
January 6th, 2003, 02:07
Bra64 -> Sounds a little weird in Swedish, since it translates to Good64, so where are you from ashade?

Jesus
January 6th, 2003, 02:17
Originally posted by Remote
Bra64 -> Sounds a little weird in Swedish, since it translates to Good64, so where are you from ashade?

Brazil maybe? The patriotism there are killing more people than Malaria every year so it is quite possible... :P

Doomulation
January 6th, 2003, 02:20
It sounds a little strange in english as well :P
Bras is what girls wear ;)
<---- Maybe even she does :happy: :D :P
For my love! :flowers: :phone:
Hahahahaha! :D :D :D :D
:blush:

Kanojo wa bishoujo senshi ne?
Kanojo wa bishoujo senshi Sailor Moon?
Ano, kirei da.

CpU MasteR
January 6th, 2003, 04:48
Originally posted by Doomulation
It sounds a little strange in english as well :P
Bras is what girls wear ;)
<---- Maybe even she does :happy: :D :P
For my love! :flowers: :phone:
Hahahahaha! :D :D :D :D
:blush:

Kanojo wa bishoujo senshi ne?
Kanojo wa bishoujo senshi Sailor Moon?
Ano, kirei da.

can we continue developing the plugin & stop the crap now Please??? <_<

cooliscool
January 6th, 2003, 06:40
Originally posted by CpU MasteR
can we continue developing the plugin & stop the crap now Please??? <_<

I thought doom's post was funny as hell. :happy: Are you on the rag CpJ00? :( :cry:

ashade
January 6th, 2003, 18:45
PEOPLE, PAY ATTENTION!!

IM LOOKING FOR SOMEBODY TO WORK WITH ME IN MY GRAPHIC PLUGIN PROJECT. IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH N64 PROGRAMMING, OPEN GL PROGRAMMING OR DX PROGRAMMING, PLEASE CONTACT ME:

mIRC: #emulation64
e-mail: ashade@superig.com.br

GuestX
January 6th, 2003, 20:09
noone knows what you´re doing ::
i don´t know if this is f@ke Or not.
if its not f@ke i´d help when i can. :)

NOTE: I Haven´t Sayed It´s F@ke ^_^

ashade
January 6th, 2003, 21:31
no, its not fake! some screenshots will be released soon, and you'll se its not fake

GuestX
January 6th, 2003, 21:55
:)

then i´ll help (logo or sometthing)
I´ll send ya a mail...

ashade
January 6th, 2003, 23:06
oh thankx

GuestX
January 6th, 2003, 23:13
I have sended you a mail for some hours.
Ignore the first words :)

Doomulation
January 7th, 2003, 13:24
Did you really think it was ... fake? After all the knowledge he has shown?`Then you truly do not have much IQ.

Never doubt Bra64!
:bra64: (gonna make the smily later ;) :P)

ashade
January 8th, 2003, 00:38
hehe.. thanx

CpU MasteR
January 8th, 2003, 00:43
Originally posted by Doomulation
:bra64: (gonna make the smily later ;) :P)

Since when does a plugin have a logo???

I dont see why everyone is so hyped up to make a logo, ITS A PLUGIN. Glide64 wasnt begging for a logo the when it was being developed...>_<

BTW, I totaly against that Bra64 Total myhem crap thread. Thats just spamming the board with ****. This is a Programming forum. What I am seeing is childs play & Its very irritating <_<

Stay on subject & move that sorry excuse for a thread out of here please... :angry:

euphoria
January 8th, 2003, 15:45
Glide64 wasnt begging for a logo the when it was being developed...>_<
Glide64 IS being developed by Gonetz (don't know about Gugaman, maybe he too).

ashade: don't you dare drop this project of yours since you've hyped it already so much...

Falcon4ever
January 8th, 2003, 16:29
Originally posted by euphoria
Glide64 IS being developed by Gonetz (don't know about Gugaman, maybe he too).

ashade: don't you dare drop this project of yours since you've hyped it already so much...

CPUmaster knows that, he's a beta tester (of glide64) himself!

he is talking about the time that dave2001 started the project.

GuestX
January 8th, 2003, 16:32
he means where Glide64 was Devoloped they were not
talking about logos etc... They first released it.

(i think) :P

GuestX
January 8th, 2003, 16:53
ashade: When Did You start on the project ?

euphoria
January 8th, 2003, 17:12
Originally posted by (NL)Falcon4ever
CPUmaster knows that, he's a beta tester (of glide64) himself!

he is talking about the time that dave2001 started the project.

Ok, i got the impression that he meant that Glide64 isn't developed anymore and thought to clear that to avoíd confusion.

Cyberman
January 8th, 2003, 18:57
Since when does a plugin have a logo???

I dont see why everyone is so hyped up to make a logo, ITS A PLUGIN. Glide64 wasnt begging for a logo the when it was being developed...>_<

BTW, I totaly against that Bra64 Total myhem crap thread. Thats just spamming the board with ****. This is a Programming forum. What I am seeing is childs play & Its very irritating <_<

Stay on subject & move that sorry excuse for a thread out of here please... :angry:
First off I split it into a second thead since it was spammy.

I'm going to wait another day before it gets moved to way off topic.. since that's where it belongs (it's not about programing and it's not about programing Bra 64 )

However since it's getting to me I'll move it now.

Cyb

ashade
January 8th, 2003, 21:03
Hey people, im here to tell u that i have just finished rsp_uc0 microcodes... Now, im falling into rdp microcodes, which are a little more hard to do, but i still think in about a week ill post here some screenshots... So, hang on guys!!!

Plisco
January 8th, 2003, 22:56
but i still think in about a week ill post here some screenshots

Looking forward to it!

Rice
January 8th, 2003, 23:38
I did not follow this thread completely, but why not work on an existing open source plugin project instead of opening a new one. It makes more sense to enhance the existing ones, because the existing ones are working ones, and usually have many many things to be enhanced.

ShadowPrince
January 9th, 2003, 06:45
Hint -> Daedalus Unofficial :).
Great Idea.

new_profile
January 9th, 2003, 13:06
ashade : Sorry for the inconvenience, but why not releasing you unfinished work so that no one assume that your work is just a fake ? (Assuming of course that your code will not be close but free) :D

ashade
January 9th, 2003, 13:49
it's a great idea, but nothing is working right now... gimme just a week, and i promise i'll release the first version...

Martin
January 9th, 2003, 14:08
Meh! Check diz out mods! :emutalk:

"Hide reply from regular users: Check this checkbox to make this post only viewable to moderators and admins."

Doomulation
January 9th, 2003, 14:55
Sounds nice. :)

DuDe
January 9th, 2003, 15:15
Haha, this is a ****ing sweet little function :D

GuestX
January 9th, 2003, 16:21
it's a great idea, but nothing is working right now...

did you implement the zilmar plugin spec "functions" ?
like PLUGIN_INFO, Plugin type, name ?

:geek:

aprentice
January 9th, 2003, 16:21
This project sounds like bs =p

Plisco
January 9th, 2003, 17:11
it's a great idea, but nothing is working right now... gimme just a week, and i promise i'll release the first version...
Cool:happy:

ashade
January 9th, 2003, 18:12
of course

vampireuk
January 9th, 2003, 18:41
I will agree with that

*sniff sniff*

icepir8
January 9th, 2003, 19:04
Sweet! I like this hack Martin.

Now, should I close this thread?

vampireuk
January 9th, 2003, 19:49
I think so, its turned into complete bs...apart from our posts :happy:

Martin
January 9th, 2003, 20:53
Hehe, this kicks arse! Oh and btw, does anyone really think it's real?

GuestX
January 10th, 2003, 15:18
i know :), i wanna post your site soon.
hope this evening.

sry, i can't do it.

Harteex
January 10th, 2003, 15:35
BTM: Why not get Direct X 9?

Falcon4ever
January 10th, 2003, 15:46
Just my 2 cents:

1. I get Failed loading plugin bra64plug.dll
fixed = install dx9

2. As far as i know DX9 sdk hasn't been released yet so how did you ever created a plugin for dx9?
my fault it was released 2 days after i dl dx8 sdk

3. I can't run it so i can't say it isn't fake.
hmm it seem to do something very slow and no graphics
and WHY is there a copy window of PJ64?

<_<

Plisco
January 10th, 2003, 16:58
That week went quick :blink: :P downloading it now

Cyberman
January 10th, 2003, 22:49
This thread is closed.. PLEASE stay on topic.. IE the Bra64 plugin and related challenges difficulties etc.

Thanks

Cyb